Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Sculpture Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Sculpture
Begali Sculpture Reviews: 81 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $550 + $26 s/h
Description: Stainless steel dual lever magnetic paddle using carbon fiber finger pieces, gold contacts, instrument grade racing bearings. The best of the best in a stunningly beautiful, virtually indestructible package
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Sculpture.

F8WAK Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2010 23:50 Send this review to a friend
An additional aspect to our hobby.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is a daunting aspect to attempt to write a review on the Begali Sculpture considering what has already been said, both about the key and the Begali family. To avoid my restating the obvious, please read the other reviews as the key is all that is written and more. It is the "more" that I would like to mention.

Opening a package is part of the fun. The Sculpture is carefully packed by hand with great care. It is a "serious" package. When I removed the key my wife suggested that when I was not using it I should leave it on the mantle above the fireplace. There is something about a finely crafted object that combines technology and form.

How does it perform? Read the reviews. Are my skills any better? After over fifty years as a radio amateur, probably not as there is still the problem of the interface between the chair and the key. But, the Sculpture has added more pleasure to the process and that alone is worth the price.

IZ1CLB Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2010 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Raising the bar in mechanics  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One canít possibly remain indifferent to a design of this kind. The main reason for the success of this paddle is surely its strong personality, which makes it absolutely unique and different from all others, beginning with the material used and its unusual color. You might compare this feeling with the awe surrounding the first CitroŽn DS cars when they appeared in the European market, back in 1955.

Every mechanical detail, from the sturdy base from the arms, from the electrical connections to the micrometic tuning screws, displays the mastery of professionals who have been working in high-precision mechanics for a very long time (not surprisingly, the paddle is built in the Val Trompia in Italy, where the headquarters of other leading firms like Beretta are located).

This mechanical apparatus (as this is, in my view, the most appropriate way to define it) is first of all a sheer pleasure to look at, even before beginning to use it. At first sight, it looks just like a rectangular piece of steel; however, the object can be opened on the front, thus revealing that there are not four but seven sides to it. As you do your fine tuning with the lateral knobs, you will also realize that the sides have been worked so that the fingers can operate with the greatest ease.

The innovative finger pieces in carbon fiber are remarkably smooth to touch. Together with the extremely light aluminium arms (in sharp contrast with the strength and stability of the base), the absolute absence of any friction between the mobile parts, and the accurately positioned fulcrum make this paddle exhilaratingly close to a prolongation of the nerves and muscles of your hand.

Thanks to its minimal mobile masses, and with the use of light tuning, it really feels like you are caressing the wings of a butterfly, such is the impression of weightlessness and precision. There is no instability, no bending and nor sponging during use (the typical flaws found in cheaper or different designs). I also found myself very comfortable with the tuning of the pressure on the levers at 27 grams, and noticed that all mechanical tuning devices remain stable after a very prolonged working session. The ticking noise Ė similar to a telex machine Ė is amusing and pleasant to hear; the electrical contacts in pure gold (not just a thin gold layer) are also worth noting.

The drawback of this marvel is the very direct and touchy feeling of the apparatus, which doesnít allow for any indecision or second thoughts at the last millisecond; thatís why I see the Sculpture as a tool for highly experienced practitioners, showing its best at high speeds. I had the misfortune (or delight?) of switching to the paddle with Sculpture after years spent with the vertical key, and it was indeed a tough job initially.

The paddle comes with some accessories, including a calibrated [spessore] for the fine tuning of the distance between the contacts; a useful plastic cover to protect the object from dirst and dust; and a small mat on which to position the base.

And now, hereís three critical observations, in no specific order:

- It would have been a good idea to close the tiny niche at the bottom, where the electrical connections (otherwise excellent, even from an aesthetic viewpoint) are located.

- Given the extensive advice I have personally received from the manufacturer Ė an extremely kind and forthcoming professional Ė and the steep price tag, it would have been good to have a more detailed instruction sheet, especially in relation to the mechanical tunings.

- The tuning of the distance between the finger pieces, achieved with a mechanical [eccentric] located between the contacts, left me a bit perplexed. Again, I had the impression that I could have gotten something more than that for an instrument of this class.

In short, this is a paddle you can purchase with the utmost confidence, and youíll get a lot of bang for the buck. Paddles can hardly get better than this. Itís also going to be a highly priced item in the second-hand market, provided you donít want your callsign inscribed on the base.

Post-scriptum: when a single-lever Sculpture?

73 de IZ1CLB

KU5Q Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2009 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Fine tool.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Highly elegant as well as extremely functional, and a precision tool. As beautiful as Bruna herself. If you enjoy, and relish "nice things" and cost is no object, you should be delighted with the Sculpture. The Begali family are wonderful to deal with.

Consider it the "Rolex" of CW tools.

I've instructed my son to place mine in my right hand, in my casket me with mine when I die.

KU5Q

KG4FMW Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2009 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Use in Iraq  Time owned: more than 12 months
Truly, I had to wait a longtime. At first it didnt make the round trip from Italy to the Us and the Iraq, That showed me the commitment of this family.

There was no quibbling - just "I'll send another". Which arrived a couple weeks later. Having only owned before what my father considers 'classic, worthy keys' before I was skeptical as to what I'd be playing with in the dusty lands the US military keeps sending me.

It has worked out wonderfully. So much so, I'll be ordering the traveler version for my next 'sabbatical' in the land of the afghans.

DJ4KW Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2009 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Begali Sculpture - my best paddle ever  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am operating with electronic keyers for over 50 years. Iambic Keyers used were ETM, Vibroplex, Bencher, Schurr; each better than its predecessors so I thought now there is no more improvement possible. But my Sculpture (serial # 381) is again a big leap forward; it is preciser, easier to operate and at the same time heavier and more stable than every paddle I used before. I have put it 12 mm above the table because I like to key with my fingers at about the same hight as if I would use a pen. I would prefer to have my callsign engraved in the front of the turret. Many thanks for the excellent customer service, solid packing and quick shipping!

K6AER Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2009 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Metal Artwork Unsurpassed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I acquired my Bengali Sculpture last year at Dayton. Until that time I had a Bengali simplex key and thought it was as smooth as silk to use. I was yet to experience what the higher quality of a $500 key would feel like.

After using the Sculpture for the last year I am still amazed at the precession, craftsmanship and pure joy in feeling the light precise movement of the contacts and paddles. The machining on the Stainless block is unbelievable. Look at every edge and surface and you can not find an imperfection. The key is heavy and does not moveÖperiod. It stays planted like it is screwed to the table. The Kevlar paddles are so light you donít know they are there. Just think with your fingers and the paddles make contact.

As many have said, the Bengali family are wonderful to meet and buy their products from. If you get to Dayton make sure you stop by and talk to Pietro. You will see the sparkle in his eyes when he talks about his keys. The man has a passion to produce the very best key.

There are very few moments when you can buy a precision instrument that will last a lifetime, Bengali keys are a true work of art.

W5QM Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2009 06:39 Send this review to a friend
No Regrets  Time owned: more than 12 months
My only regret was not ordering this key when it first came out. I had been lusting after a Graciella when I had the opportunity to use a Sculpture. Now I had to decide which one I wanted. I wouldn't have gone wrong with either key but I chose the Sculpture and haven't looked back. It is superb to my previous high end key. Pietro's works are fantastic. (Ive had a chance to use many different Begali key models.)His second greatest asset are his customers. Ask a Begali owner what he thinks and you will never hear a bad thing. The owners are Pietro's sales force as they rave about their keys. Finally, Begali is a pleasure to purchase from as customer service is great too. Bruna is fluent in English and responsive to any question. No regrets. Jim, W5QM

G0OTT Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2009 16:30 Send this review to a friend
wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Always lusted after one of these fine keys, I work with stainless steel so know how much effort goes into producing something so pleasing to the eye, yet so machanically precise!!
I have mine set with virually no gap and little resistance, wow so smooth, I just think and the code comes out its eerie.
I saw this advertised hardly used and at a nice price so had to have it.
No regrets so far, I only have an hour's operating but just know I'm going to enjoy operating this wonderfull key.
So fluid, just need some qrq qso's to break her in :)
Regards Darren

TERRY_PERRY_EX_W3VR Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2009 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Elegant work of art.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first Begali. A true work of art. Serial number 0382, with a signed certificate identifying the Sculpture by serial number with the owners name. What a nice personal touch from Begali, along with several QSL cards from the master craftsman himself.

What a wonderful precision instrument. All the adjustments are very linear. The Begali family offers outstanding service.

Truly a collectors piece.

W3VR

EI7BA Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2009 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Superlative  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a Signature edition, and a Traveller. I lusted after a Sculpture, but decided the price was beyond my resources. I got lucky... I saw one advertised secondhand, only a few months old. I bought it.."Oh joy, Oh rapture" I didn't think it was possible to find something better than my Signature Edition. I can really relax with this key, even at high speed.
I just sold the second best paddle in my shack...my Signature Edition.