Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | RT Systems CT-29B (for FT-7800) Help

Reviews Summary for RT Systems CT-29B (for FT-7800)
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $30.00
Description: Computer-to-rig interface. The CT-29B is a serial level converter that terminates in a 6-in mini-DIN plug.
More info: http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/yaesu_Template.cfm?yaesupage=ADMS2K&cfid=142745&cftoken=96734991

You can write your own review of the RT Systems CT-29B (for FT-7800).

AE9K Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2006 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Great, with one minor issue  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the CT-29B for my FT-7800 along with the CT-29A and CT-28A for my FT-60. My first impression based on the CT-29A/28A pair was great. Very well built, the serial-TTL level converter circuit board neatly hidden in the DB9 connector shell, molded-on strain reliefs, etc...and they worked.

Then I tried the CT-29B. It took a couple of hours of troubleshooting to determine that one wire from the cable wasn't soldered correctly onto the tiny circuit board. Basically the insulation had melted, filled the hole and served as a physical anchor - so it looked like it was connected.

To their credit, RT Systems provides some comprehensive serial troubleshooting tips and a small program you can download to search all com ports, determine which port has the cable connected, etc. There were instructions about measuring the voltage on the two lines going to the mini-DIN connector. This is how I found my issue. I could read the correct voltage on the circuit board but couldn't read it at the DIN plug. A simple re-solder of one connection and it worked.

So, I am rating this a 4 out of 5 only because this should have been caught in QA. This wasn't an intermittent connection. RT Systems redeemed themselves by providing all the necessary instructions to track down the problem.

AE9K Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2006 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Great, with one minor issue  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the CT-29B for my FT-7800 along with the CT-29A and CT-28A for my FT-60. My first impression based on the CT-29A/28A pair was great. Very well built, neatly hiddenl circuit board in the DB9 connector shell, molded-on strain reliefs, etc...and they worked.

Then I tried the CT-29B. It took about four hours of troubleshooting to determine that one wire from the cable wasn't soldered correctly onto the tiny circuit board. Basically the insulation had melted, filled the hole and served as a physical anchor - so it looked like it was connected.

So, I am rating this a 4 out of 5 only because this should have been caught in QA. This wasn't an intermittent connection. But, they redeem themselves by providing all the necessary instructions to track down the problem.