Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Lafayette Model HE-10 Communications Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Lafayette Model HE-10 Communications Receiver
Lafayette Model HE-10 Communications Receiver Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $79.95 less Speaker
Description: Amateur Communications Receiver Featuring a Superheterodyne Circuit Utilizing 8 Tubes & Rectifier Tube
More info: http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/bapix/KT200.htm, http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/lafayett/he10/

You can write your own review of the Lafayette Model HE-10 Communications Receiver.

JOEANALSSANDRINI Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2006 16:58 Send this review to a friend
A Fine Performing, Durable Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
In April 2007, my Lafayette Model HE-10 Communications Receiver will be forty-five years old.

In all those years, the radio has not "hiccuped" even once. I wonder if today's receivers will be as long-lasting!

It was made in Japan by Trio-Kenwood and was built to a very high construction standard.

It is extremely sensitive on both SW and MW (I once had KFI Los Angeles 640 KC/S clear as a bell in New Jersey with just a 100-foot random long-wire antenna) and, with this receiver, I verified (and received QSLs for) over 100 countries (110, if memory serves). For an "ancient" and inexpensive (even in its day) tube receiver, its selectivity is very good as well. Image rejection, especially for a single-conversion receiver, is much better than expected. It features 1 RF and 2 IF stages and has a variable BFO through which one can tune SSB (its AGC can be turned off).

It is very stable (after a half-hour warm up) and offers very good sound quality through its associated HE-11 Speaker ($7.95). A couple of months after I bought this receiver, I went back to the Lafayette store and bought a pair of Clevite "Brush" Model BA-200 Crystal Headphones ($14.70) which I still have and use occasionally with this receiver. The sound quality is very, very good through them.

Just a week ago, I played this receiver (for "old time's sake") for seven straight hours and it still works as it did when new.

We've come a long way since 1962 and, of course, this receiver is far outclassed by newer models, such as my AOR AR7030 Plus, both in terms of reception and sound quality. Not even to mention today's digital tuning! (I used a crystal calibrator with the Lafayette for many years but that accessory finally "died.")

But every once in a while (maybe two or three times a year), I "fire up" this old radio and try to relive the "good old days." At least last week, I succeeded!