Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Elecraft W1 - 140 watts computing Wattmeter / SWR Bridge Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft W1 - 140 watts computing Wattmeter / SWR Bridge
Elecraft W1 - 140 watts computing Wattmeter / SWR Bridge Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: The Elecraft W1 is a versatile microprocessor based RF power and SWR meter than can be used with any transmitter from QRP levels to 140 watts output from 1.8 to 30 MHz. The W1 automatically selects the proper power range of up to 1.4, 14 or 140 watts and indicates the peak forward power and SWR on built in bar-graph LEDs.

High resolution power and SWR readings are also available through a connector as RS232 serial data for display on a computer. (This interface uses a simplified RS-232 style interface that can drive short cables of less than six feet or directly to a USB adapter.) Elecraft will also be supplying a W1 compatible USB adapter as an option for the W1. The LEDs can be turned off under computer control for use as a dedicated remote computer read Wattmeter / SWR Bridge.

The W1 designed to be used as a stand-alone unit. Optionally, it may be built into existing equipment or an enclosure of your choice. (Battery and BNC connectors can be mounted on the rear of the PCB.)

More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft W1 - 140 watts computing Wattmeter / SWR Bridge.

K0JEG Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2011 02:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice easy kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built one Sunday night. I expected to need 2-3 evenings to get it built, but once I got past the second page of the instructions I just kept going. I would recommend this kit for a "second timer," someone who has the basics of soldering down and wants to learn more about components. Calibration is simple and it seems to be fairly accurate.

However, as a wattmeter it's a little strange. 140Watts, not 200 or 100 or 150. It's also not case-friendly, or radio friendly, because of the BNC connectors and their odd location. Might be minor nits, but it just seems like the layout could have been better, at least put the connectors at the top of the board with the BNC connectors pointing out the top, like on T-1 autotuner. I almost want to give it a 4 because of the board layout, but the other features make up for it.

Anyway, the main reason I bought this is because I'm building a magnetic loop antenna tuner and this looked like an easy way to get SWR readings into a computer/microcontroller. The meter sends data based on simple one character commands. The manual didn't mention it, but the settings are 9600, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit. The meter can be customized in many different ways using the serial commands, including slow/medium/fast reaction to power and SWR, and all the settings will only affect one reading (IE, changing the power to slow reaction won't change any of the SWR settings).

AD6KA Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2010 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Accurate, Versatile, Fun!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a "Must Have" HF meter for the bench, especially if you can't afford a Bird and all of those slugs. I use it to tweak the power output of QRP rigs, since it is accurate down to 100 milliwatts. I also really like the twin peaking lines of rectangular red LED's for Power and SWR.
That and the thre "Power Range" round LEDs make
it very easy to read at a glance.
It is very accurate as compared to my more expensive meters, and you don't have to "Zero" or "calibrate" the meter every time you change abnds! YAY for that!

It was a very fun and easy build.
The 9v battery power supply option is VERY HANDY
for carrying it around.

Yes, it would have been nice to have an optional enclosure, but enclosures are expensive.

This meter is so versatile, accurate, and easy to hookup that I am incorporating it in a 140w solid state amplifier project I am building around the CCI EB63. I think it will make a nice addition.
(But I will have to move the LEDs to the other side of the PC board, no big deal).

GET ONE, you'll love it.

I may add some Green LED's for lowest SWR to 2.o:1 or so, yellow LEDs for 2.5 to 3:1 ,
and them red above that. Just an idea.

KB3ONA Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2008 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the SWR Power Meter at the Southwest Division convention from a nice couple at the Elecraft booth. They were very helpful in answering all my questions since I had not assembled a kit before. It was a little intimidating at first, but the instruction manual was superb and made assembly easy - even for a guy like me with no experience. I completed the kit in about 6 hours and all tested ok. I love the meter because it is the most accurate I've found for QRP which is what I do most of the time. I also bought the lexan enclosure from the address on the website - that went together easily as well.

AK2B Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2007 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Another winner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own most of the Elecraft Mini Kits and up until now I haven’t found any need to put them in an enclosure. However, since I’ve built the W1 Power Meter - that has changed. The W1 is just too awkward to use as it is. Every time I went to use it there never seemed to be a convenient place to put it. In my apartment there is a metal picture stand that is vertical and slanted back a little for easy viewing. Hmm, it was a little too big for the W1 since it was designed for a size 8 X 5 print. I went to Staples and found what they call a “slanted sign holder” 3.5” X 5” (Model 69401SUS (I couldn’t find this number in their on-line store)). On the store receipt it said the SKU was 079916015552). Anyway it’s made of clear plastic and although a little too wide, makes a very decent stand for the W1. If you mount the W1 so that the battery case bottoms out it will make the stand a little sturdier. Actually, I mounted mine a little too high and used rubber feet mounted on the bottom of the battery case. I used threaded plastic stand-offs at the top and another next to the left bnc connector since the bottom hole is too close to the angle of the stand. You might want to add extra weight to the base.
Although this is not a perfect solution, it makes using the W1 a lot easier and it looks pretty good to boot.

Tom, AK2B

Oh, and as usual, the W1 is of excellent quality, cleverly designed, simple to build and accurate. Par for Elecraft!

K8RBW Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2007 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Very good unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The W1 is an easy build and extremely accurate. I damaged a signal LED in the process of building it and Elecraft sent me a replacement gratis. In fact, they sent me two. The first was lost in the mail and they sent me another replacement. There is no custom enclosure for it but I improvised. I just went to Walgreens and bought a set of plastic food storage containers for two dollars. One of them was a snug fit for the unit. I bore holes in both sides of the container and attached BNC to S0239 adapters that I ran through the sides to connect it to coax. I then put some large RS rubber feet on one end do that it can be vertically oriented. It is easily read and can be used for portable activities like Field Day while not altering the alignment.
73 de Dick, K8RBW

VR2XMC Rating: 4/5 Dec 11, 2006 23:16 Send this review to a friend
A very nice meter but without enclosure  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Similar to other Elecraft products, it is a well designed kit. Construction is simple and straight forward. I believe a first time kit builder can handle the kit. Calibration is simple and no expensive instructments are required. Accuracy of meter is high even compared with LP100 from Larry Philip. It is very handy tool and good for field use. Regrettably, no customerised enclosure is provided. This limits its survivalness in field condition. For this I give it 4 out of 5.