Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | FCC Lookup by N7YG Help

Reviews Summary for FCC Lookup by N7YG
FCC Lookup by N7YG Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: Look-up of US and Canadian call signs
US zipcode database current as of Dec 2006
Manual and automatic download of Canadian Database
Manual and automatic download of Master FCC Database
Manual and automatic download of Daily update files
More!
More info: http://www.n7yg.com/fcc/fcc.htm

You can write your own review of the FCC Lookup by N7YG.

N0YG Rating: 2/5 Jan 3, 2011 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Needs Something  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I followed the install directions word for word and after 15 minutes it still would not look up anything. I also installed updates. NOTHING. So I un-installed it and like all new things I will wait til the bugs are worked out and try again. As someone else has said it looks like a hell of a nice program if I could only use it.
n0yg

N5NA Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2011 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Completely Rewritten - Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since my original review of FCC Lookup Jeff has completely rewritten the program into version 5. Version 5 uses an SQLite database but unlike his HamCall Search program you don't have to set up a SQL database.

I primarily use the program to update my club's hamfest mailing list. I do an advanced search for an Action Date in the past year with 500+ zip codes. I can then save the data in a csv file to further manipulate in Excel. I needed a couple of fields added to the search field list and Jeff added them in a matter of a couple of hours. Great support!

Of course, you can do a simple call lookup as well. Other features are wildcard searches, batch processing, customizing the GUI windows, a link to QRZ, and a link to Google Maps.

The only minor drawback is when updating the full FCC database it takes 30 - 45 minutes or longer, depending on your computer speed, to complete.

Since this review page was originally set up the URL to FCC Lookup has changed. The new URL is http://www.n7yg.com/fcc/fcc.htm

K5YY Rating: 2/5 Apr 3, 2008 15:48 Send this review to a friend
would not complete download  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I could not complete the download. Took about 15 minutes of installing the protocols and programs but when it got to the part about put in Latitude and Longitude I could not do that. The boxes did not allow my co-ordinates to be put in. I continues and an "error" screen came up with a long number/letter error code. The program looks nice and useful, but it just did not download properly for me. That latitude/longitude last prompt stumped me. I then uninstalled the program. May try again later if someone tells me how to answer the Lat/Long prompt..Cursor will not put mine in the boxes..

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2008 13:49 Send this review to a friend
wow! FAST!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found this from checking out the reviews here and can't believe how fast it can retrieve call sign data. Really helps if I'm listening to a station and want to see if it's one of the FOUR states I've got left for my WAS!

W1DPC Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2007 08:45 Send this review to a friend
great job  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
this is a very easy peice of software to use. i have been using it for about a year and it works great. thanks for all your hard work in putting this together.
73 DE W1DPC

KC0W Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2006 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Great!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just downloaded the program & tried it out due to the other glowing reviews.........Works GREAT!!! No more having to go online to look up other amateurs callsigns.

Tom kcw

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2006 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having worked with the FCC databases in the past, I can only congratulate N7YG for having the infinite patience necessary to produce a fantastic program! Lookups are fast and the conveninece of automated downloads is appreciated.