Reviews Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | Ten Tec Acro-Bat Help

Reviews Summary for Ten Tec Acro-Bat
Ten Tec Acro-Bat Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $9.95
Description: Dipole Center Insulator

You can write your own review of the Ten Tec Acro-Bat.

KA8SBI Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2012 13:47 Send this review to a friend
I like it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the Acro-bat for the feed point of a G5RV and have not had any of the problems mentioned by others. It is center hung from a tower. ends are tied directly to trees and it has not pulled apart.
Feed line is 300 ohm non-window line. I put zip-ties thru the little slots for the feed line, tightened the zip-ties around the line and one side of the Acro-bat shell. then assembled the two sides. The 300 ohm line is very secure and has been up for 3 years with no problems. I used a second one for my Field day/backup antenna with 450 ohm window line with good results. I plan to buy more. Our club members buy the three packs and all have worked well.

XE3LW Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2012 21:14 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

I do not understand the negative feedbacks to the acrobat, I bought mine last year and
I am using it on my 80 mts inverted V, it has been hanging up in the tower for almost a year and still working pretty good. no cracks in the plastic material or any sign of stress due the wires tension or weather.
No changes in the antenna´s perfomance observed either.

Very simple and practical to instal, it works very good for me.

WU1Z Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2010 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Not bad at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I look with some amusement at the write ups here that are falling on the negative side. I have two dipoles up that I have used the Acro-Bat in and so far have had no problems. If you look at this product there are quite a few screws in it. If these are tightened enough and properly it should work out ok. If the wires are hooked up any old way inside of it, sure its not going to work out. Both of my applications have done well with them. One must take their time and do it right. My latest venture is a 126 foot dipole fed with ladder line that is up about 50 feet. This is working just fine with no issues. The other one is one that was built for 40 meters and that was last years project and turned out ok as well.

NY4D Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2008 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Works For Me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this on both a 75 meter Inverted Vee and a 67 Foot long OCF doublet. Both use #14 solid insulated wire. The 75 meter antenna uses RG8x as the drop line, the ocf uses ladder line. I've hung Acrobats from drop lines suspended under tree branches and from vertical masts. I've had none of the problems earlier reviewers have had.

Of course every installation is different. A little common sense goes a long way to prevent problems before they happen. I ring both the feedline and antenna wires around the connection bolts. I use simple effective strain relief. I've used both pulley with weights and bungee based strain relief systems to successfully keep these antennas up in the air under extreme wind conditions.

For a less than ten dollar product it does all I could ask of it. It's effective at what it does and makes antenna hanging easy.

WU1Z Rating: 3/5 Dec 3, 2008 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Where's The Beef??  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just put up a 65 foot dipole over the weekend. I used the Ten Tec Acro-bat and also read some of the negative reviews on it before hand. I really had no problems with it so I am kinda amused as to why they did. I am used to making my own dipoles and doing my own work on antenna's so maybe thats why I had no problems with it. I guess the true test will be how well it holds up. At any rate it works for me.

N9AOP Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2008 11:30 Send this review to a friend
good product  Time owned: more than 12 months
This thing works but not well if you are using solid center ladder line and assemble it like ten-tec shows. To make it last you need to run the antenna wire around the two center fasteners and solder it below that point. There is only about 1/2 inch to work with at that point but once done in this manner, the product will stay up a long time.
Art

K0FTC Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2007 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Handy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used these in a variety of ways. My current HF loop on the north side of a Colorado house (high winds and cold temps) uses 450 ladder line for the feed and 14 ga. wire for the loop. The stranded wire was tinned on the ends and the unit sealed with coax sealer. Its been up a year and still works FB. I've used it to experiment with 300 twin lead antennas, with coax feed. The design is flexible enough in design that you can do some experimentation. If you want strain releif - which I've not had a problem with, you could drill a hole on either side and tie your wire in and then run it to the connectors. I've used them with typical dipoles with coax feeds and they have worked fine. I carry a couple in my portable kit and a roll of wire to fabricate field expediant antenna's. These units are fairly inexpensive, and I think the design is useful. This is the only Ten Tec equipment I own - don't have enough nickles for the radios - HI.

N2XPM Rating: 0/5 Oct 27, 2007 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Idea Poor Construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought two of these and I should have read the reviews first. Don't waste your money. Great Idea, poor construction, just awful! I hope Ten Tec enjoys my donation for their poor design!

N3QE Rating: 1/5 Oct 18, 2007 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Offers no strain relief to antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought two of these thinking they must be pretty nifty. Well, they're nifty-looking. But nothing in the design will offer any strain relief to the antenna wires when used as the manual recommends.

Used as Ten-Tec recommends, there is no strain relief other than the antenna wire being wrapped around a screw. This is foolish - nobody wraps a wire around a screw and could ever expect it to withstand any sort of tension or movement.

Provide some external strain relief and just use the screw for connection, that seems to be passable here. What I did was make a loop on the end by soldering the wire to itself, and have the screw in the loop. I will have to see how it holds up.

The strain relief to the RG-58 coax lead-in on the bottom seems not so bad. Time will tell!

K9JM Rating: 1/5 Apr 1, 2007 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Nice idea poorly done  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am actually have two of the Acro-Bat and used them as intended, with 450 ohm ladder line and either with a 450 ohm folded dipole or with a wire dipole. The wire dipole I use for Field Day... and it was able to stay up for a weekend. Not well sealed, not good strain relief, not strong enough. Nice idea, poor execution.