Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Universal Tower 4-40 Help

Reviews Summary for Universal Tower 4-40
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $~ $750 w/base & rotor plate
Description: 40' tall aluminum self-supporting tower.
More info: http://www.universaltowers.com/

You can write your own review of the Universal Tower 4-40.

W8GX Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2017 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Light but strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 4-40 has withstood windstorms of nearly 100 mph here in West Michigan. As well as the TA-33 on top of it.

While I could lift all 4 sections when they were bundled together, it took 3 guys to push it up with the rotor and TA-33 on top, and we struggled toward the end. I think the antenna and rotor resulted in a lot of drag (I'm no physics expert).

I want to bring it down to hook up a proper arm and pulley for a dipole, as well as inspect the antenna and rotor. I don't think 3 of us will have trouble bringing it down. However, I'm thinking of securing a strong rope about halfway up and have someone on the other side pulling it up to help with it.
Anyone have ideas?

K0CCP Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2017 04:37 Send this review to a friend
The only cost effective Tower left on the market.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally was in the market for a tower and had been watching the US Tower's products and planned to buy one this spring (2017). Surprised to find that the costs had more than tripled since the last time I checked. I started to look around for options and found this company (Palco Electronics) located in Michigan that could offer a reasonable priced aluminum tower to fit my needs. I did not want a tall tower and decided on the 40foot tower for my Hexbeam and 2 & 440 yogi.

The tower comes with an 8ft aluminum mast and a plate to attach a rotor shelf and all the necessary grade 8 bolts to assemble the 10 foot sections. I dug the necessary hole for the base (4 x 4 x 4) and poured the concrete and let it set for two weeks before assembly. The tower has a hinged base and even though it show's it can be raised by one person, by the time you get a rotor and an antenna on the top, one person cannot raise it. I gathered three other friends and we pushed the tower with a small tractor and a RTV pulling from the other side. I used assembly lube on all the fittings just in case I have to replace them, the bolts are stainless and the base of the tower is steel where it goes into the cement. The fit and finish is excellent and we didn't have too much difficulty assembling the sections together. The rotor base fit my older model Yuasu rotor motor and has numerous pre-drilled holes for mounting other brands of rotors. I also purchased a thrust bearing separately for the mast.

The tower comes in two shipping packages, one with the tower which have 4 nested sections into one ten foot piece and the mast shipped separately. The tower is about 130 pounds by itself, but can be easily moved off of the truck with two people. Shipping takes about two weeks depending on whether it is in stock.

KR4K Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2007 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent construction  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have 4 Universal towers - 4-30, 4-40, 9-50, and 15-50. The 4-40 is the center support for several wire antennas. This gets them above out oak trees.

The 4-40 is about the limit for a simple walk-up. Had I added a rotator, it would be a multiple person job.

Can recommend Universal for excellent products, service, and support.

73/gus

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2006 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've got mine up with a 50-500 MHz. log periodic on it with a 12' boom. Above that, I have a dual band yagi for 2M and 70cm FM. It went up easily, instructions were excellent, and it was a 2 man operation raising the tower with the antennas on it. I'm seriously thinking of a second tower. Aluminum is the way to go!