Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Butternut Model HF3B/4B Help

Reviews Summary for Butternut Model HF3B/4B
Butternut Model HF3B/4B Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 10,12,15,20 Meter Butterfly Beam

You can write your own review of the Butternut Model HF3B/4B.

M0RDI Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2011 13:28 Send this review to a friend
just an update  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
hi M6AMR here again alias 2E0TEN I still give this antenna a 4 due to the difficulty in tuning but since writing this review I have had the chance to experiment and do some more tests and I have to say this is a very good antenna indeed I operate at qrp power levels and since launching it onto the mast I have had some fantastic results on 20 metres including 2 watts qrp into the United states,

ten watts Melbourne Australia (LONG PATH) then 500mw into central Russia and the Ukraine
I have also got on qrp power levels Cuba,Iceland,Svalbard and Asiatic Russia
so you can see this antenna is worth the time and effort
AD5VJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2006 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Oldie But Goodie  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I thought this particular model of the Butternut should have its own place in the review process, since it was the starting point for the Butternut.
The picture in the category is the HF5B, but you can tell no difference. They are the same except for the additional 17 meter band.
A fan antenna by basic design, yet taken to the multi-band arena by the Butternut design.
I got mine back as a surprise from a friend who brought it to me after discovering it after 12 years of being stored by someone else in a way that should have ruined it.
Since it was my first beam antenna, I just stared at it when I saw it again for the first time in a long time.
The boom had been bent, the elements had sand caked on them and the coax connector had dirt packed in it so hard it took a dental chipping tool for me to get it all out.
Bought some green Scotch Brite pads and began the restoration process of my old friend. It was so messed up it took me a day and a half to complete.
It is up and it is just like new, already working DX for me flat across 20, 15, 10 with 1:1.4 SWR across 12 Meters.
Next step - I buy the kits to bring it up to date.
The bent boom gives it character.
Yes you must be patient with it, yes it will take some work, yes it is worth it.
If you can find one at a reasonable price dont hesitate.

73 fer nw es gud DX,