Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Butternut Model HF3B/4B Help

Reviews Summary for Butternut Model HF3B/4B
Butternut Model HF3B/4B Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 10,12,15,20 Meter Butterfly Beam
More info: http://www.bencher.com/hf5b.html

You can write your own review of the Butternut Model HF3B/4B.

M6AMR Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2011 13:28 Send this review to a friend
just an update  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
hi M6AMR here again alias 2E0TEN I still give this antenna a 4 due to the difficulty in tuning but since writing this review I have had the chance to experiment and do some more tests and I have to say this is a very good antenna indeed I operate at qrp power levels and since launching it onto the mast I have had some fantastic results on 20 metres including 2 watts qrp into the United states,

ten watts Melbourne Australia (LONG PATH) then 500mw into central Russia and the Ukraine
I have also got on qrp power levels Cuba,Iceland,Svalbard and Asiatic Russia
so you can see this antenna is worth the time and effort

AD5VJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2006 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Oldie But Goodie  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I thought this particular model of the Butternut should have its own place in the review process, since it was the starting point for the Butternut.
----
The picture in the category is the HF5B, but you can tell no difference. They are the same except for the additional 17 meter band.
----
A fan antenna by basic design, yet taken to the multi-band arena by the Butternut design.
----
I got mine back as a surprise from a friend who brought it to me after discovering it after 12 years of being stored by someone else in a way that should have ruined it.
----
Since it was my first beam antenna, I just stared at it when I saw it again for the first time in a long time.
----
The boom had been bent, the elements had sand caked on them and the coax connector had dirt packed in it so hard it took a dental chipping tool for me to get it all out.
----
Bought some green Scotch Brite pads and began the restoration process of my old friend. It was so messed up it took me a day and a half to complete.
----
It is up and it is just like new, already working DX for me flat across 20, 15, 10 with 1:1.4 SWR across 12 Meters.
----
Next step - I buy the kits to bring it up to date.
----
The bent boom gives it character.
----
Yes you must be patient with it, yes it will take some work, yes it is worth it.
----
If you can find one at a reasonable price dont hesitate.
------