Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Rework Eliminator(TM) K2 Option Bypass Headers Help

Reviews Summary for Rework Eliminator(TM) K2 Option Bypass Headers
Rework Eliminator(TM) K2 Option Bypass Headers Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $23.50
Description: Rework Eliminator™ Option Bypass Headers are a set of un-modules for the Elecraft® K2. These clever devices are perfect for troubleshooting and tinkering because they dramatically simplify the task of reconfiguring the K2 to re-enable operation upon removal of their associated option. Un-modules are also a key ingredient for building a new K2 that’s “Option Ready” from the outset.

The 1.3" × 3.825" circuit board easily snaps apart forming six postage-stamp-size headers.

A small four-page color-printed booklet of assembly instructions is included.

More info: http://www.unpcbs.com/

You can write your own review of the Rework Eliminator(TM) K2 Option Bypass Headers.

VE3WDM Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2013 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Don't build without one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great product, I am now building my second K2 the rework Eliminator is a must have. The bypass headers fit like OEM parts from Elecraft. The quality is there as well. I have had absolutely no issues with this product. Having a K2 that is option ready means no adding parts/removing parts from the K2 board. It's as simple as plug and play (along with some menu adjustments)This is a great idea and Ken and Gary offer support that is on par with Elecrafts!
Very nice work guys
Mike
VE3WDM

G3XYS Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2012 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Just the Job!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an ongoing update from a post below. I have just completed building and installing the SSB facility in my second K2 (The Green Machine) which I built in 2006. At the initial build time I incorporated the K2 Option Bypass Headers which have proved to be a winner in all respects. I built the SSB board, removed the two bypass headers, installed the SSB board, set all the parameters, tuned in on 40M LSB and nothing could have been easier. Every thing worked first time, no troubleshooting. I would not be without Gary and Ken's Bypass Headers 'for all the tea in China' as the headers are such a simple and effective facility for the K2 and they save time as there is no retro work needed on the front panel and RF board of the K2.

73/72
Mark
g3xys

G3TJP Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2012 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Such a time-saver  Time owned: more than 12 months
My K2 was partly assembled when I purchased the UnPCB kit together with all the components required to make my K2 ready to plug in further modules without stripping everything down again. I was amazed at how comprehensive the instructions were and it wasn't difficult to merge the UnPCBs into my construction.

Since then, I've become involved in repairing and assembling Elecraft equipment for other amateurs. It's great to be able to pop in a header or two or three when fault-finding. It's far better and, IMO, more professional than poking bits of wire into the sockets, which could cause damage to the gold plating inside connectors. One can be assured of reliable contact with the UnPCBs, whereas poked wires are notoriously unreliable and can easily be poked into the wrong holes too!

If a full set are incorporated at assembly time, the only internal adjustment needed is to tweak the VCO voltage so all bands fall between 1V and 7.5V if the 60m/transverter module is being fitted. It's hardly an arduous task and it sure beats having the K2's bottom rear panel off, leaving the PA transistors and their fixings floating around.

I heartily endorse this product and even if you've built your K2, you can still add these items afterwards. Elecraft's instructions are superb and the UnPCB's instructions are even better!

A thousand thanks to the designers for this outstanding product. They have saved me loads of time and possibly some misery as well!

73 Dave G3TJP

KE6EE Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 15:36 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ken and Gary who sell these Rework Eliminators are very clever and very helpful. A brilliant idea perfectly implemented. And their service is superb!

HAMILTON_EX_W8GX Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2011 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fantastic product! You need to do a little extra work when assembling your K2 but it is really worth it when you add options later! Just plug and play! I wish I would have bought a second set before they went out of production. If they start to make them again GRAB a set! Best investment you can make for your K2 project!

VE3WMB Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2010 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently completed K2 Serial# 5995 using the Rework Eliminator Option Bypass Headers and I am extremely pleased with the results.

The radio worked first time with no issues. I subsequently built the Elecraft KAF2 and the K160RX options. Installing the audio filter was just a matter of unplugging the Un-PCB and plugging in the real audio filter. To install the K160RX was almost as simple .. except I just had to install and connect the extra BNC for the RX antenna .. there was no need to remove the K2 bottom cover/heatsink and worry about shorting out the PA transistors in the process.

I must add that the documentation was excellent !
I am so pleased with Rework Eliminators that I just ordered the IMA (internal mic adaptor) kit.

Michael VE3WMB

AL7B Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2010 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Clean Upgrade  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Rework Eliminator is one slick option. I recently built K2 #6850 and was reluctant to build options into the K2 during initial constriction. My fears were unfounded. My fears were put to rest during the Phase 1 alignment and the RE filter header was plugged into the Control Board. At that moment I knew I had made the right choice.

The RE documentation merges very easily with the Elecraft documentation. While preparing to build the K2 I noted the RE page number on the K2 page which related to changes for that portion of the build. The RE documentation uses highlighted pages from the original K2 manual. The highlights are color coded to reflect which K2 option is being addressed at that time. It was a very simple matter to use the Elecraft manual until coming to a circled RE page reference then switch over to the RE manual.

The RE header circuit boards are top notch and look every bit as good as the boards used by Elecraft. The quality of material used for this upgrade does not cheapen the quality of the K2. The documentation includes drawings and charts to show the changes being made.

Other than noting the RE page document in the K2 manual I found it helpful to plug the holes of component locations on the K2 boards with solder while building. The RE manual is very clear about components and jumpers that are not installed, plugging the holes serves as a helpful reminder for those of us who might wander from the instructions and be tempted to insert a missing component.

I bought several options with my K2. The Elecraft options include all the jacks, plugs and components needed for the option boards. However to save having to dig through the various option bags I elected to purchase the parts kit from Rework Eliminator. The cost is minimal and worth the time saved having to go searching through the K2 parts bags.

The parts kits are shipped with individual, color coded bags for each option. It made for easy grouping and finding of the parts when needed.

It also makes sense to purchase the Internal Microphone Adapter Kit to add the finishing touches to the K2.

HAMILTON_EX_W8GX Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2010 17:52 Send this review to a friend
GREAT kits!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These kits are GREAT! I built my K2 a couple of years ago without any additional options. I am just now getting around to adding the SSB option and it could not be easier! I didn't have to disassemble the radio, solder and unsolder parts on the circuit boards and reassemble the radio again. All I did was build the SSB option and plug it into the radio! THAT"S ALL! If you have ever had to rework your radio with out these kits you will appreciate how much work this eliminates. I am thinking of buying another Rework Eliminator kit and putting it away for the day I decide to build another K2. I will never build another K2 with out these labor saving kits! 73

N4FSC Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2009 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Mandatory for the K2!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After building the Elecraft K2, I am very glad that I used the Rework Eliminator "un-modules" as part of the initial K2 build process.

I bought the *very* simple Rework Eliminator kit before I started to build the K2. The kit consists of a few very small PCBs with some headers, resistors and capacitors. It took me about 30 minutes to assemble this kit. The price of the rework eliminator PCBs is very low and their website includes a nice color-coded addendum, to the Elecraft manual, downloadable in pdf format.

Why is this un-module kit so nice? The excellent Elecraft K2 manual guides the purchaser how to build the basic K2 radio without any of the Elecraft options. This means not installing some parts and jumpering across some pads on the Elecraft PCBs.

That is not so bad, right?

Well when you decide that you want to upgrade your K2 with the Elecraft options, you have to disassemble the radio multiple times, unsolder jumpers and components on the Elecraft PCBs and then install additional components to make the K2 ready to accept the option that you purchased.

Some of the K2 disassembly steps and desoldering is not trivial. For example to add the K2's SSB transmit option, you have to remove the K2’s front panel, remove the front panel's PCB from the front panel Aluminum bezel (which requires removing all of the radios knobs which you have set so well with the Allen screws). Other options require the power transistor mounting screws and heat sink washers to be removed.

If you use the Rework Eliminator Option Bypass Headers, you can build the K2 one time and then not have to disassemble it to add the Elecraft options as you later build them. When you want to add an Elecraft option, you just assemble it, remove the Rework Eliminator bypass header that you plugged in on the initial K2 build, and install the newly built Elecraft option PCB!

I am very glad I did some research on the Web to learn about this kit before I started my K2 build.

WA2DTW Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2009 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Very straightforward and easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finished building my "option-ready" K2. This easy-to-use kit allows the builder to prepare for installing new options without having to go back and mess with already-built circuit boards. Ken was very responsive and helpful when I had a question.
If there is any chance that you will add options to a K2 that you are building, I very much recommend this kit.
Steve WA2DTW