Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Edison Fong roll-up 2m/440 J-Pole Help

Reviews Summary for Edison Fong roll-up 2m/440 J-Pole
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $20
Description: Roll-up and put in your pocket 2m/440 J-pole made out of TV twinlead,
complete with coax and BNC connector. Sold at Ham Radio Outlet, written about
in QST.

You can write your own review of the Edison Fong roll-up 2m/440 J-Pole.

W5UY Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Antenna and worth every penny!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna a couple of years ago and encased it in the recommended PVC pipe. I have it mounted about 25 feet off the ground on five pieces of fiberglass masting. I am feeding it with about 35 feet of RG-213/U and about 40 watts. It is nice looking and I can work repeaters as far as 75 miles from my home. I have used many VHF antennas over the years but I never have used a better antenna.

NO6W Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 13:28 Send this review to a friend
maximum bang for minimum bucks  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both antennas. Spoke with Edison on two occasions at Pacificon and found him very forthcoming about his development and tuning process. He's a born teacher. He told me that the velocity factor for twin-lead varies from batch to batch, so the network analyzer is essential to tune each antenna for maximum performance.

The quality of construction is good. I discovered one or two solder joints which were mechaniically sound but not pretty. They were easy to touch up... but I'm a rather picky mil-spec qualified solderer.

This roll-up works just as well as the base station version, which is to say, as good as it gets.

Highly recommended, especially for new hams with that new, dual band HT, and a low budget. The first and best accessory they should buy.

BTW Ed is selling these on eBay now, and still a great deal.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2011 08:51 Send this review to a friend
TURNS AN HT INTO A BASE STATION!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is well made and the SWR measures 1:1. It works beyond ALL expectations. For the first time ever, I am able to use my HT to make contact with the ARES repeater, twelve miles away with my five watt handheld! Impossible with the rubber duck it came with. I mounted the J-pole along the side of the sliding door wall in the kitchen with the HT on a bread rack. The contact with the repeater was full quieting! If you would like a picture of the antenna on the wall, send me a note: terryspaceship@yahoo.com

Dr. Fong even called me when I asked a question on e-mail. He's the best customer customer service representative I've ever had!

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2010 11:08 Send this review to a friend
used it in parachute mobile ops  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ed Fong makes great antennas at great prices. He is a nice guy too. He has a PhD in EE and really knows his stuff. SF bay Area hams know his antennas well and they are highly regarded.

On June 12 2010, jumping at Byron CA, I used Ed Fong's roll up J pole antenna under parachute canopy and worked 9 non pre arranged QSOs on 2M SSB using 5 watts. Of course at 10,000 feet anything would work pretty well, but people were hearing me on the SF Peninsula even after I descended to 1500 feet and my line of sight was cut off by the Altamont Pass mountains.

If you look close you may see it trailing behind me as I landed. Click on photos to see full frame image:

The antenna was coiled up and secured with gaffers tape during my exit and then untaped and deployed once I was under canopy. It was abused, dragged on the ground during landing but suffered no damgage.

Ed is meticulous about tuning his antennas and uses high grade test gear to trim em up. He has some help from his family assembling the antennas but Ed tunes each one himself.

The value is unbeatable, great performance and low prices.

Buy one, you will never regret it.

Mark
AF6IM
www.parachutemobile.org

KD5HMP Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2007 14:37 Send this review to a friend
excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my first antenna I built due to cost and projected ease. I got the twin lead from radio shack (100ft/$15) and followed the directions. Did not bother to tune it but followed the directions with the exception of increasing the coax section since I was using RG-8X versus the lossier coax in his plans. Has great RX and TX performance over my 1.4wave mag mount diploe and 17" flex whip on the HT. Its full quieting and allows me to cut the squelch way down. My best QSO with this thing only 5ft off the ground is a repeater 70 miles away on 1w! Granted the repeater is one of the highest in the LA basin (mt Kelly in the LA basin) but I could not even begin to hit that repeater with my other rigs. Performs great on both 2m and 440.

NS6Y_ Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2006 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Everyone loves this antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a roll-up J-pole for 2m and 440 made by a local ham who's had it written up in QST and sells it though Ham Radio Outlet. It comes with a length of thin coax and a BNC connector, and a little loop at the top to hang it from a tree, etc. It's very popular with San Francisco Bay Area hams, and according to all accounts works better than even a 5/8 wave and can make a real difference with an HT.

I have one and the PVC pipe antenna he makes (reviewed on eham here too) and they're great. I can't hit the repeater from my new apartment with the stock rubber duck or a larger antenna with my VX170, but with this, no problem. I just took this and a couple of hollow fishing pole sections, threaded it up into the fishing pole, with a piece of cord to keep the upper end up in the pole sections, put a Caplug on the top, painted the sections to match my apartment complex here, hose-clamped that to one of the posts in my fence on my patio, ran more coax to go inside the house, and tested it, with my VX170 which means 5W tops, S-6 into the Palo Alto repeater. That's all I ask! I'd probably do even better if I had it hanging in the tree here, it'd be a bit higher, but it's not fully weatherproofed on its own, and I'm hoping a hiding-in-plain-sight pole will offend management less than a wirey thingie up in the tree.

This is a really great antenna made by a great guy, I've talked to him a few times and he takes an HP vector network analyzer out in the field to test antennas, the performance and workmanship are first rate.