Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna
Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $22
Description: What appears to be a piece of PVC pipe with an SO-239 on one end, little do
they know........

You can write your own review of the Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna.

KD2KCY Rating: 3/5 Jun 5, 2016 05:02 Send this review to a friend
somewhat puzzled  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna to use on a portable 12' mast while camping in the heavily wooded Adirondacks. With my Yaesu 2900 I received no signals and couldn't break into any repeaters while my 25w mobile unit with it's mag roof antenna received several and worked very well on transmit. Later at home, I found that I could use only about 4 very close repeaters and not the 20+ as far away as 60 miles using my Diamond X30a antenna at the same height. I ordered another X30a this morning.

W3DKV Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Super scanner antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the commercial version of this antenna which is tuned for 152-157 MHz and 460-470 MHz, and it performs great when connected to my scanner. When compared to the highly-rated Diamond RH777 vertical, it performed about the same in the UHF range but blew the competition away in the VHF range. The only nit.... As some other reviewers noted, the SO-239 connector really isnít fastened tight enough and can turn when attaching a transmission line. A lock washer would have helped. Thanks Ed for a great antenna.

KE0ETZ Rating: 3/5 Mar 17, 2016 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Good on 2m, Poor on 70cm  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
On the antenna analyzer 2m is relatively flat throughout the ham band. I can work local VHF repeaters and distant ones 30+ miles away full quieting. On 70cm I have had problems working repeaters from the house that I can normally work well from my vehicle. After using the antenna analyzer I could see that across the 70cm ham band resonance goes up and down in several times within the band, between SWR 2:1 and 3:1 making points with the band that are workable and others that are not. The antenna is nearly useless on UHF. Upgraded cable to LMR400 with no significant improvement.

KI4TCX Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2016 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 75w version of this antenna. Shipping was fast. It was easy to put together. I had it up and working in no time. The swr's on this antenna were good on both the 2m/440 side. I checked into the nets tonight. The on air reports were great. I cannot attest to the long term use of the antenna as I haven't had it that long. So far it's working great. I would recommend this antenna to anyone.

W4GFW Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2015 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my new antenna from Edison Fong, and I must say that the antenna works great!!!!
I have several people that I am in contact with and they all claim that the antenna sounds better than the more expensive one I had been using before.
I ordered the 250 watt version and it preforms well on the amplifier as well as on 5 watts. I would recommend this product highly and will tell my friends about the product.

N6AIR Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2015 00:16 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a well made antenna by someone who takes pride in his work. It's carefully made with high quality materials and then it's thoroughly checked out before it leaves the shop.

The SWR on mine at 146.52 is absolutely flat.

The fact that it's in PVC pipe means it's easy to mount and not easy to damage. Also, it doesn't look like an antenna so in that sense it's low profile.

You can find similar antennas on eBay which may or may not be well made. But with the Ed Fong antenna, there is no doubt. When it comes to precision construction, he's a perfectionist. It's no surprise that these antennas come with a life time guarantee.

I have a Diamond CP22E as well at the Ed Fong J-pole antenna and I like them both. The Diamond has more gain, but so far, with both of them mounted on top of my house, I have yet to notice any real world difference. Packet stations that I can barely reach with Diamond, I can still connect to with the Ed Fong J-pole.

I'm very happy with this antenna.

K9LLK Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2015 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Outstanding price, performance and customer service. If something happens to the one I have now, I'll buy another one in a heartbeat.

WV9K Rating: 2/5 Apr 5, 2015 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Could well be a winner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got one of these quite some time ago.

And yes, the grey pipe does create problems, use the white and paint it if necessary.

I would have given this a 5 except that the SO-239 on the bottom of mine is too short. Let them know about the problem but nothing was done.

How I discovered this was that the SWR was variable. Turns out that a standard PL-259 screws all the way down but due to the so-239 not extending far enough the internals of the PL-259 do not make a solid connection.

Solution was to use one of the CB 1' extension cables. The very short "PL-259" will screw down tight and on the other end so will a regular PL-259.

At some point I'll pull it apart and change out that short SO-239 with a standard length one.

I understand that this issue no longer exists, just the early adopters were left with the problem.

N2VIP Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2015 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna, Great Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked up a Leixen UV-898 mobile dual band radio (think Baeofung HT in a mobile chassis) and I wanted a nice, simple and low cost antenna for a base install - this was just what I was looking for. Locating the specified CODE 200 PVC pipe was easy, but care must be taken - do NOT use the much more common CODE 40 PVC. The antenna went together in minutes (it took me longer to find my hacksaw to cut the pipe than to assemble the antenna), with three hose clamps I attached it to a ten foot long, 1 3/8" pipe and leaned it up against a brick fence in my back yard. Soaring just under 10' above ground level I am able to reach dozens of 2m/440 repeaters in the Dallas Metroplex with my 8-10 watt Leixen radio and 50' RG-8 antenna lead.

This antenna removes any justification for not not putting up a 2m/440 antenna at home. With it's low price, ease of assembly and mounting and great performance it makes a great "just works, and works well" antenna.

I can only imagine what this antenna would do elevated another 10 or 20 feet in the air, or with a better (big three) radio on the other end of the coax.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2014 13:20 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT ANTENNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
MY J-POLE is hanging along the wall and is attached to my ICOM PRO III. It works great and I have even talked with DR. Fong about it and he answered all my questions.

It works well.