Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna
Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $22
Description: What appears to be a piece of PVC pipe with an SO-239 on one end, little do
they know........

You can write your own review of the Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna.

KC7JNJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2017 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Been using it since summer 2017. Working great in every way. I had to really double check some SWRs and ended up replacing my coax. Now It is flat on VHF and 1.5 on the UHF repeaters I use. I am hitting repeaters all around. The other cool thing is I can call Ed himself if I have problems or questions. I called him just to chat. Learned a few things from him, he is fun to talk with. For the price, and I can talk with the designer himself. Along with he stands behind this thing. This is real value. It wonít be long before I have another. I am also thinking this will be perfect for the motorhome. Or should I say enginehome as it has no motor hi hi.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2017 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Super value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ed is a PhD EE and designs and build these antennas with great care. They work. The price is fair. They weather well. What more could you ask?

W8RMV Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2017 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first & only 2M/440 antenna. I have had it up for a few years and it always worked great. Yesterday I realized that I had a SWR meter that would work at 2M so I hooked it up & was disappointed to see a 3:1 SWR. I sent Ed an email & he quickly emailed me back & told me to call him. He answered just as he got out of the shower. I told him I'd call him back but he was having none of that, he wanted to help me now. He quickly figured out that I did not have it clear of the roof edge. Sure enough he was right. I moved it up 5' & now the SWR was 1.5:1 across the band. I was able to talk simplex on SSB on 5W with my HT to my buddy over 30 miles away . He said I was 59! Thanx, Ed.

VK3FORK Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2017 21:34 Send this review to a friend
For the money = Exc  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the $$ competes with much more expensive antenna . Might want to tighten and glue the SO 239 to stop it rotating . I currently have two of these , and to be honest the older one performs better than the newer one . The older one is very close in performance to my Diamond X50 , the Diamond just edging out the EF PVC . SWR is very flat on my sample ( 2 meters ) and the antenna works very well for both 2 meters and 70cm .

What ever repeater I can hit with the Diamond X50 I can also hit with the EF PVC @ 1/3 the price .

KD2KCY Rating: 3/5 Jun 5, 2016 05:02 Send this review to a friend
somewhat puzzled  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna to use on a portable 12' mast while camping in the heavily wooded Adirondacks. With my Yaesu 2900 I received no signals and couldn't break into any repeaters while my 25w mobile unit with it's mag roof antenna received several and worked very well on transmit. Later at home, I found that I could use only about 4 very close repeaters and not the 20+ as far away as 60 miles using my Diamond X30a antenna at the same height. I ordered another X30a this morning.

W3DKV Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Super scanner antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the commercial version of this antenna which is tuned for 152-157 MHz and 460-470 MHz, and it performs great when connected to my scanner. When compared to the highly-rated Diamond RH777 vertical, it performed about the same in the UHF range but blew the competition away in the VHF range. The only nit.... As some other reviewers noted, the SO-239 connector really isnít fastened tight enough and can turn when attaching a transmission line. A lock washer would have helped. Thanks Ed for a great antenna.

KE0ETZ Rating: 3/5 Mar 17, 2016 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Good on 2m, Poor on 70cm  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
On the antenna analyzer 2m is relatively flat throughout the ham band. I can work local VHF repeaters and distant ones 30+ miles away full quieting. On 70cm I have had problems working repeaters from the house that I can normally work well from my vehicle. After using the antenna analyzer I could see that across the 70cm ham band resonance goes up and down in several times within the band, between SWR 2:1 and 3:1 making points with the band that are workable and others that are not. The antenna is nearly useless on UHF. Upgraded cable to LMR400 with no significant improvement.

KI4TCX Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2016 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 75w version of this antenna. Shipping was fast. It was easy to put together. I had it up and working in no time. The swr's on this antenna were good on both the 2m/440 side. I checked into the nets tonight. The on air reports were great. I cannot attest to the long term use of the antenna as I haven't had it that long. So far it's working great. I would recommend this antenna to anyone.

W4GFW Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2015 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my new antenna from Edison Fong, and I must say that the antenna works great!!!!
I have several people that I am in contact with and they all claim that the antenna sounds better than the more expensive one I had been using before.
I ordered the 250 watt version and it preforms well on the amplifier as well as on 5 watts. I would recommend this product highly and will tell my friends about the product.

N6AIR Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2015 00:16 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a well made antenna by someone who takes pride in his work. It's carefully made with high quality materials and then it's thoroughly checked out before it leaves the shop.

The SWR on mine at 146.52 is absolutely flat.

The fact that it's in PVC pipe means it's easy to mount and not easy to damage. Also, it doesn't look like an antenna so in that sense it's low profile.

You can find similar antennas on eBay which may or may not be well made. But with the Ed Fong antenna, there is no doubt. When it comes to precision construction, he's a perfectionist. It's no surprise that these antennas come with a life time guarantee.

I have a Diamond CP22E as well at the Ed Fong J-pole antenna and I like them both. The Diamond has more gain, but so far, with both of them mounted on top of my house, I have yet to notice any real world difference. Packet stations that I can barely reach with Diamond, I can still connect to with the Ed Fong J-pole.

I'm very happy with this antenna.