Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna
Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna Reviews: 20 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $22
Description: What appears to be a piece of PVC pipe with an SO-239 on one end, little do
they know........

You can write your own review of the Edison Fong PVC pipe 2m/440 omni antenna.

W7JET Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2012 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna great price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have one strapped to the side of the house and it works great. Ed is excellent answering questions.

K7AMS Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2012 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Dual Band Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in Port Townsend, Washington and I live near the beach. I have this antenna up 50 feet and I can easily work all the repeaters within 100 miles both on 2 meters and 70 centimeters.
I used to use a 13 element yagi for 2 meters but now I don't have to think about rotating my antenna.
Thanks Ed, your students are doing a great job
building and tuning these antennas.

KI4GTJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2011 14:35 Send this review to a friend
got mine for 220 today  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well made great antenna,works great great tx/rx going to have to get one of his 2m/440 ones here soon

I took it out of the pack and what stright for the wouxun 2/220 and put it up call a few time for antenna and radio test and come back with s9/59 full copy was useing a sbb224 on mag mount that work great but the ed fong will be used alot more

NO6W Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 13:45 Send this review to a friend
maximum bang for minimum bucks  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own both this base station version and the roll-up. I mounted this PVC version on top of a 35 ft tv mast (see picture on my QRZ page).

From my home in Pittsurg, CA I have good full-quieting simplex QSO's into Sacramento (60 milels away) and beyond, and up into the Sierra foothills a hundred miles away. Range from this base antenna to an H-T with a rubber duck on the flat is about 20 miles... very respectable.

Each antenna is custom tuned in an identical radome before it is shipped, and completing the construction is inexpensive and very easy. Be sure and use the correct weight PVC pipe. For new hams with that shiny new H-T, this antenna is an essential first accessory. You can spend a lot more and not get much improvement in performance.

BTW Ed is now selling these on eBay. It's a great antenna for an unbeatable price.

NT9M Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2011 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Still very satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
Updating my review of a couple years ago. My office location was moved to a different town so the antenna came down. While down it got a good inspection and absolutely no problems found. At the new office location the antenna is mounted on a stand-off from the side of a BX tower at about 30 feet rather than mounted to a chimney. With the extra height it performs even better. During a band enhancement this summer I worked 125 miles on UHF simplex. This antenna is not the equivalent of my DB-224 at home, but it is an excellent performer for the money.

W2CSH Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2011 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this antenna after my copper j-pole was wiped out by a broken limb. I needed a portable antenna for emcom work and one I could easily put up at home for a base station. I purchased the heavy duty version for its higher power handling. I have the antenna mounted at 25 feet above ground and it outperforms the copper j-pole by a significant margin. I live in New Jersey about 70 miles from Atlantic city near Philadelphia. I can hit shore repeaters from Tom's River to Ocean City that I couldn't hear on the j-pole. I can reach west as far as Valley Forge. For the money versus performance you can't go wrong with this antenna.

K9RLB Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2011 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Up for 2 years+  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has been up for over 2 years - no tuner needed for me @ 2m + 70cm ~ ~ ~ inexpensive, and effective!

K6PHL Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2010 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Impressive  Time owned: more than 12 months
My son in Denver has used this PVC version of the Ed Fong J-pole antenna on top of his house for 6 years now.
Today I again pulled out my roll-up version for a temporary installation. I have done this a number of times over the past 5 years. It never ceases to impress me how well this antenna works on both 2m and 440!
I bought mine at the Sunnyvale HRO store and I recently noticed they are still carrying this antenna as well as the version sealed in a PVC pipe. At $20 What a bargain!

KF6UZX Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2009 12:52 Send this review to a friend
This is the one that I recomend.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used as a portable and and have worked reapeaters 30 miles away with hills in between on 5 watts. I finaly mounted at home so the base is 16 feet high and now listen in on simlpex 20 miles away. Just bought a second one for portable again. A great working antenna at a great price.

NS6Y_ Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2006 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Very popular cheap'n'easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is another great Edison Fong creation, sold through Ham Radio Outlet, also has been written up in QST, this is a 2m/440 antenna housed in a piece of white PVC, with an SO-239 connector on one end, according to the instructions, it's set up so it's a half-wave on both 2m and 440, the opinion among the locals who buy them up is: Excellent. The first 18 inches is simply coax so it can be attached to a metal pole, wooden post, etc., I suspect it may be the same inside as his roll-up number, performance is the same S-number using the same rig and installation as the roll-up in a fibreglass radome, PVC often has a curve and when you're trying to make an antenna line up perfectly with vertical lines and "disappear".....

This is quite weather proof, easy to hide in many resctricted situations, and if you put some Coax-Seal on the connector, should unobtrusively keep you communicating for years at your condo, mobil home, etc. Easy to sand it a bit and paint the color of your surroundings or housing complex. Great to have, as even the longer HT antennas won't get through where this will full quieting.