Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | RigExpert USB-to-transceiver interface (Standard version) Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert USB-to-transceiver interface (Standard version)
RigExpert USB-to-transceiver interface (Standard version) Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $205.
Description: This is another product created by MixW / RigExpert Team for operating digital modes, voice recording and playback (sound chip is totally compatible with any ham radio software), CAT system, which controls transceiver frequency, mode and other functions of various models of transceivers, FSK operation (crystal-clear RTTY signal) and additional COM port for connecting serial devices such as TNCs or antenna rotors.

In addition to a year of full warranty we offer our customers a 30-day money back guarantee (100% refund), if you don't like the product.

More info: http://www.rigexpert.net/main.html

You can write your own review of the RigExpert USB-to-transceiver interface (Standard version).

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2011 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I had this up and running for 2 weeks and it's awesome. Been using a Signalink USB for several years without CAT radio control and finally took it offline to be used with my laptop at my office. I'm running Ham Radio Deluxe v5.0 and not only am I making contacts, I can control my Icom 7600 by changing frequency, mode, etc. With my AT-Auto tuner, everything works smoothly and now I'm spoiled with automatic controls. Got the Rig Expert from Array Solutions and they responed to my questions immediately. Rig Expert makes excellent products as I also have their AA-230 Pro antenna analyzer. They are the "Rolls Royce" of ham equipemnt. 73, Delwyn KH6DC

KC4UAI Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2010 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This device does what it claims and installed without problems on Windows XP SP3. I purchased a ready made cable and had a Yeasu FT-2000 connected to my computer and a number of popular software packages working very quickly.

The interface worked with the following:
Windows XP (SP 3)
Yeasu FT-2000
Ham Radio Delux (Digital Modes, Rig Control, etc)
N1MM Logging (Rig Control, CW Keying, Digital Modes)
DigiPan (Audio Interface)

Not bad for two hours of work on a radio I'm not that comfortable with. My only suggestion is that you are careful to install the drivers before you connect the USB cable. (Of course the instruction manual says that if you read it.)

I like this unit for the following reasons:
1. Simplifies the computer to radio connections
2. Uses only a USB interface for everything
3. Simple yet effective and complete

I do wish it was or could be more turn-key for my radio setup, but that's more of an issue with the radio and my choice of software than the RigExpert. I also wish the volume controls where adjustable from the computer, but truth be told, once you set these there won't be much call to change them.

N1DG Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2010 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Used on Midway 2009 Dxpedtion...wonderful product  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 2009 Midway DXPedition, K4M, used RigExpert Standards in each of our 6 stations. These trustworthy units provided everything we needed to interface the ICOM 7600s to our notebooks.

We installed everything before departure and when we got to the island EVERYTHING worked perfectly for 8 days, 24 hours a day. Over 62,000 QSOs were made with never a frequency lost, FSK glitch or hangup in our PCs and Radios.

I have used one at home for 2 years now, and it is just one of the dependable parts of my shack that I never think about. I also have one in my A61AD shack.

I would never go on a DXPedition without it.

Don
N1DG/A61AD and member of K4M

N2WCQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2010 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Does everything that's needed, warranty 1 year  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great small unit that controls your whole station. One cable from the interface to the radio, another cable (USB) from the interface to the computer. No power supply needed. Dual channel built-in sound chip has much lower noise floor than laptop's internal sound card. In addition to sound, it provides PTT, CW and FSK (through virtual COM ports). Has built-in USB-to-COM port (DB9) convertor, if you need physical COM port.
The warranty term is clearly stated as 1 year (at the rigexpert.net website).

AA6UF Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2009 18:04 Send this review to a friend
After initial repair, unit works well. Unclear warranty terms  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I received the unit, there was no audio on the receive side. The US distributor did not bother answer my e-mail inquiries (beware!). I found out that one potentiomer was defective. After talking to the manufacturer in Ukraine, (which was very cooperative) they sent me a new potentiomer. Since the potentiometer was replaced, the unit has been working very well according to specifications.
So in summary. Unit works well, quality is questionable, US distributor is irresponsive. Manufacturer was very responsive. Warranty terms are unclear.

KE1IN Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2008 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds my expectations  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I primarily bought this interface because it had a level converter for CAT control of a Yaesu FT-757GX. Unfortunately, the 3-pin Molex connector for the CAT port on this rig is difficult or impossible to find. I improvised by soldering a 2-pin HD LED connector from a discarded PC chassis to the pigtail on the cable for the FT-757GX. It works just fine as long as I remember to plug GND into pin 1, Signal into pin 2, and ignore pin 3.

For CAT control, I'm using TRX-Manager. The RigExpert Standard provides a 9-pin D-connector for a COM port that I connect a venerable MFJ-1278B. CW keying line works as described.

My laptop is an old Dell Latitude C610, which has a single USB port on it. I plug a 4-port USB hub into that without an external power supply, and into the hub plug the RigExpert Standard and a Griffin PowerMate USB Multimedia device (serving as a VFO knob for TRX-Manager.)

This setup exceeds my expectations for convenience and performance.

YO3HJV Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2008 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Good job!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well... I purchased this device from Canada.
Because I became too lazy to solder wires, I ordered also the matching cable for my TS2000X (dual receive cable).
After a week I received the package. Don't forget that I am living in Europe! Romania...
So...
The first thing I made was to read the user manual which have some addendum wich states that the drivers are now Microsoft certified so the installing will be automatic. Nice job!
The drivers installs very nice, the unit works very well. I had some troubles in remapping the virtual COM ports, but once I discovered the procedures, all was smooth and ok.
I have it for more than 6 months, used regularely with all kind of software (RFSM2400, HamDRM etc) and works perfect!
Also nice support from the manufacturers.
My laptop doesn't have CD/DVD unit (IBM Thinkpad X40) but I found the software right on their web site.
Aaa, on the end of the user manual is a notice about a 12 months warranty (6mo) for the cables! This was for the previous reviwer...
I am attorney. If I manage to set-up this device I believe anyone can do it!!! :-)
Regards!
YO3HJV

EA8AY Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2007 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HI, Im using this interface for a week ago and is superb for my ts480sat, I use Mixw, but also is ok with HRD and other software.
A few days ago I can work a w6 station using JT65A and only 40w output and decode very nice.
Is the best for digimode.

RU3QR Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2007 14:32 Send this review to a friend
This is what I needed!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After numerous and time consuming experiments with home made interfaces and a lot of frustration I bought RigExpert Standard from RN6AM who is RE distributor in Russia. As soon as I installed drivers and cinfigured my logging software all my headaches were left behind. CAT works exceptionally well with all 4 radios that I own: TS-450S, IC746PRO, IC756 and IC756PROII. I am using RigExpert on all modes including RTTY, PSK and SSTV and I am getting excellent quality reports on the air. The noise floor dropped significantly as compared to computer internal sound card. It allows me to copy weaker signals on Digital modes.
I was using this interface in 2006 Rumble BPSK31 Contest and I won it: http://www.n2ty.org/seasons/tara_tourney_results07.html
It helped me to win the following Contests: December 2006 DIGI+SSTV (#1), Russian WW PSK (#3) and Skirmich BPSK31 (#1).
It prints so good that I don't even use my QRZ macros anymore!
I am using it with Notebook SAMSUNG-X30 (Pentium (R)M 1.6 GHz), Win XP and MixW2.18.
Highly recommended for serious DIGI operation!
73! Sergey RU3QR

RA3BB Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2007 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Great device !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use RigExpert Standard four months. The RigExpert Standard is totally compatable with any and all Ham radio digital software, I have not found anything that will not work.
At this interface is additional COM port which I use for connection TNC PK-232MBX.I did it for comparison of work TNC and RigExpert Standard. At work RTTY of a difference it was not felt, and in some cases reception by means of RigExpert Standard was better.
RigExpert Standard very well itself has proved at work in contest. As in CW, Digital and SSB. I did not have any problems at a configuration and use of programs N1MM, WriteLog, RCKRTTY, RCKLOG.
I very much recommend all to get RigExpert Standard.
Yours faithfully Victor N. Kosobokov (RA3BB)