Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Signal Link USB Computer-Radio Interface Help

Reviews Summary for Signal Link USB Computer-Radio Interface
Signal Link USB Computer-Radio Interface Reviews: 262 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $89
Description: The new SignaLinkTM USB combines the performance of our SL-1+ with a state of the art “built-in” low-noise USB Sound Card. This innovation delivers optimum performance while eliminating the need to attach to your computer's existing sound card. Convenient front panel controls and simplified installation make this one of the most user-friendly interfaces on the market.

You can write your own review of the Signal Link USB Computer-Radio Interface.

NC7U Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2018 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Signalink USB and Linux  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the Signalink to replace the defective SCU-17 (CAT interface broke) connected to a Yaesu FT-450D. This freed up my computer sound card. The Signalink has great frequency RX response. Was able to adjust ALC and not over drive. The PTT light did not light but not a big deal for me. The soundcard chip (PCM2904 was easily detected by my Mint (Linux) OS. Also suggest purchasing the 6 pin jumper to prevent wiring errors.
KT4QF Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2017 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Alright... Ya got me.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've long held the opinion that the entire point of having "soundcard digital modes" in the first place was to preclude the need for additional interfaces. Anyone who struggled with getting a Baycom TNC to work in lieu of writing a check for a KAM, or anyone who understands that RTTY once consumed oil from Western Electric can see what I mean. So, for the last decade I restricted my concern to PTT considerations and let the stock motherboard sound handle the rest. I saw no need for another unit.

Having recently gravitated to FT8 I started operating more digital than ever. I bought a new radio (FT891) and made some cables to handle the CPU connection. I heat shrunk a few chokes on them and went at it. Everything seemed to work fine, but I noticed strange behavior in my power meter. Tuning a second radio monitor my output, I realized I had a major ground loop problem, and it wasn't giving up easily.

I had been contemplating buying a SignaLink to make it easier to get on the air with a Mac I use for music production so I broke down and bought one hoping the isolation might solve the PC noise problem as well.

It did. As others have pointed out, it makes things much easier with cleaner output than by internal sound interface alone. I realize that some of the isolation-only solutions on the market might have solved the problem, but the SignaLink handles everything with much less complexity. As reluctant as I was to make the investment, I'm glad I did.
W6KKO Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2017 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Easy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two. They work very well with several radios I use them for:
- 817ND
- 897D
- 480SAT

From SSTV to PSK31 it gets the job done.
KD7KE Rating: 0/5 Oct 20, 2017 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Poorly documented  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My experience has been awful, first several weeks delay as they were out of stock, then sent the wrong interface, promised to send correct one but eventually only sent cable for my TS 430S radio, no documentation. Dedicate a lot of time telling you what they won't do, that is a hint right there. Instructions telling you how to connect a plug in to your computer or Signalink by turning the plug over if it doesn't fit, then tell almost nothing about the more difficult steps, little sequence in the instructions on double sided printer paper. Computer software instructions on Windows are written for Windows 7 and not 10 so what is in instructions don't appear. Support is only available 3 days per week for 4 hours Pacific Time Zone. You only have 14 days to decide if you can make this work, or not. I probably just lost all my money and time. Save yourself the anti-acid tablets and don't buy this product.
N5XTR Rating: 1/5 Sep 1, 2017 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Works well then fails.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had very good success with digital modes using a signalink USB. I purchased mine in 2008 about a month or so before QST's review of it. I used it with Yaesu FT-857d, FT-817nd, FT-847 and FT-450. In September 2011 the Signalink had an issue and killed the control board of my FT-450 (a $300 repair plus shipping both ways) also the Signalink would not transmit any audio to my other radios. Eventually I sent it back and paid for a new board ($80 with shipping both ways). August 2017 the Signalink faulted again. This time it has taken my HP Laptop (bad motherboard, replaced by HP), my FT-450 (will not power on and fans run on high, probably another bad control board) and the Signalink itself is stuck in transmit when power is applied. At first I thought maybe lightning, but all power(breaker panel) and antennas were disconnected. The Signalink is the common denominator and I will not purchase or even recommend anything else from Tigertronics. This product works well but can cost a lot in the long run.
VE3XDB Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2017 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this Signalink USB hooked up for 8 or 9 years now, using it with my Kenwood TS-570D/G and TS-440S/AT radios. Works well for both. I bought the headers when they came out a few years ago, which made it much easier to swap between radios.

The unit has been very reliable. It's a "set and forget" piece of gear. I use Debian Linux, and there is a warning on the website about using it with Linux. However, it was easy to set up and has worked well through several Debian upgrades.

KC2JQA Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2017 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Works Great With Mac  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Signalink USB about one month ago to use with an Elecraft KX3 and a desktop iMac. The Mac is running the current Sierra version of OSX.

The Signalink works great... my main operating modes are JT65 using WSJT-X and PSK31 using Flgigi. Setup was easy and there was no need to manually download any drivers.

Here's a tip if you will be using the Signalink USB with a KX3... order the Plug & Play jumper module. Not only is it easier than manually placing the jumper wires, it comes with a voltage blocking capacitor so you don't need to turn off the radio's microphone bias setting each time you switch between SSB and digital mode operations.
KE8EC Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2017 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After checking out several interfaces for HF digital modes, I selected the Signal Link USB. Arrived well packaged and documented. Had it up and running in very little time. Had a bit of a problem with Windows 10 but that was my unfamiliarity with 10. I think this is a very good interface for the money.
AA4PB Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2017 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Win10 is OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine on a Win7 machine. When I upgraded to Win10 the SignaLink-USB kept right on working with no changes.

The noise issue some complain about comes from the computer via USB power. The amount of noise is dependent on your computer. Mine was low and the mod made no significant difference.
KB3MTV Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2017 21:52 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Currently using a windows 10 machine with an Icom 756 PRO-III and have absolutely no issues. Does everything I wanted it to and more. You will not be disappointed with this product.