Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | B & W AP-10B Portable Anenna Help

Reviews Summary for B & W AP-10B Portable Anenna
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $84.99
Description: All band portable apartment antenna
More info: http://www.bwantennas.com/

You can write your own review of the B & W AP-10B Portable Anenna.

KI4VLW Rating: 0/5 Sep 1, 2007 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Don't buy one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these antennas to use while I was on vacation. Never could get the antenna to work. I could receive but I was unable to transmit and even the reception was poor. I followed the directions but the thing would never work properly. Waste of money in my opionion and for what you get the price of the antenna is too high.

K3ZD Rating: 3/5 Mar 30, 2007 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Works Pretty Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I now live in an apartment so I bought one of these to get me back on the air and it works better than I thought it would.

I live on the 4th floor of the building and have a balcony. I just put it out on the balcony leaning up against the PVC railing. I keep as much of the counterpoise as possible on the balcony and run the rest inside the apartment.

Running about 20 watts I have no trouble making contacts even on 40 meters. I think my balcony's elevation, about 60 feet, is a big help.

My main complaint is that the coax they give you is only about 10 feet long. I also think its a bit overpriced for what you get.

If you choose apartment living like I do, just get one as high up as you can and one with a balcony and you can still have a lot of fun with ham radio.

But remember to run fairly low power so you don't get the WACA Award - Worked-All-Consumer-Appliances.

KR6AUL Rating: 3/5 Jan 2, 2007 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Good idea, poor design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna due to living in an apartment. I opened the box and that was the best part. The antenna fell apart in my hand. I put it back together and mounted it. The antenna mount needs to be better situated for various angles. I was able to get into local repeaters including some that I could not reach on my magmounted tribander. I was so scared to touch and andjust fearing that it would break. I used if for a weekend and took it back and got the MP-1 and have been happier. I unfortunatly have to use two antennas but it is better then a flimsy one. Not as portable as it seems