Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-706 - All flavors
ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Reviews: 462 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $IC-706MKIIG
Description: Ultra Compact HF/6 Meter/2 Meter/440MHz Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/#IC-706MKIIG

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-706 - All flavors.

N1JFE Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2015 09:59 Send this review to a friend
VHF INSTABILITY  Time owned: more than 12 months
AWESOME RIG.

That said, I did have an intermittent problem on 2m.
The radio would self oscillate and produce output at around 120MHz when keyed up in the 144-148 range, AND ONLY with the power turned all the way down.

A slight tap on the cover would clear this up.

TIGHTEN ALL PCB SCREWS on both TOP and BOTTOM of radio. PA PCB and ANT FILTER board (opposite side). Might as well tighten up the screws on the main board while your in there.

This SOLVED the problem and the radio is now stable once again on all bands.

The screws do not have star washers, which is probably a GOOD thing as it's designed as a mobile unit, and you wouldn't want one bouncing around causing shorts, BUT the screws will eventually lose their GROUNDS from vibration and heat cycling.
Give them a 1/2 turn CCW and then tighten to reseat. No need to be a gorilla, just snug.

I think this is a good idea to do for ANY mobile radio.

PS. This particular IC-706MKIIG has always been installed as a base an never in a mobile, but it still had the VHF oscillation.

Greg

WA0UAY Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2015 12:25 Send this review to a friend
FL-223  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Buy the FL-223 filter. It really does make a difference!

AF5CC Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2015 19:54 Send this review to a friend
706 original-great value  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you do much looking, you should be able to find an Icom 706 original model (HF-2m, 10 watts on 2m) for $300-$400. It is a great rig for that price range. Look what else you can get in that price range: Yaesu FT840, ALinco DX70TH, Kenwood TS140 or TS680, Icom 725 or Icom 707. It blows away all of those rigs. Not only does it give you extra bands compared with those rigs (6m and 2m), it has a built in keyer, built in SWR meter, speech compression, it can take a SSB or CW narrow filter, and does FM out of the box. I would dare say it is a better value than an Icom 718 also as it gives you more features.

Yes it has some menus, but they aren't a big deal. Read the manual a couple of times, play with it a little, and the menus become intuitive.

The receive is actually pretty good on this little rig. Don't use the preamp on 30m and below as it isn't needed. With the preamp off it actually has about the right amount of receiver sensitivity on the low bands-you hear the signals fine but not a lot of background noise. In this area it does better than the 706MKII or 706MKIIG which are noisier on the low bands even with the preamp off.

Another nice feature is that it is very easy to interface for the digital modes. You can get AF audio out on the mic jack so all you need if a RJ45 cable to plug into the mic jack, 2 1/8" jacks to plug into the soundcard, and you are ready to go. Turn on the VOX and go to it on RTTY, PSK, whatever you like. I have been using mine on RTTY this way with really good results. You can also use the narrow CW filter on AFSK, just tell the radio it is the FL223 and it lets you select this filter on SSB, and it still works on CW just fine also.

Another nice thing of the 706 original compared to the 706MKII or 706MKIIG is that the fan runs all of the time, even on receive, which keeps the rig much cooler. The fan noise isn't objectionable, though.

I don't know what the previous reviewer was discussing in terms of VHF/UHF operation. The rig hears just fine on 2m, and I have used an Icom 706MKIIG before on 2m and 70cm with no problems-even made quite a few satellite QSOs with one.

So, if you are looking to get into HF for a fairly low price, give this rig a definite thought. Performs well, plenty of features, the optional filters for it are pretty reasonably priced, and you really do get a lot of rig for you money.

Only use the noise blanker if you need it, it does degrade receiver performance with it on and on a busy band.

ON2HB Rating: 4/5 Oct 17, 2014 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Great on HF, but deaf on 2 and 70.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this device for about a year, and it's a great performer.
Once you install the extra SSB filters it will work even better then standard, and yes it's worth it to add them as it will help a lot on small signals.
However, this tranceiver is kind of deaf on 2 and 70, and with deaf I mean real deaf. It doesn't hear small signals that my Kenwood TK-780 does hear without much trouble.
And do not expect to use it for repeaters, it has very poor memory programming and is terribly at CTSS.
For HF it's a great device, but it's bad on VHF and UHF.
Don't buy it if your goal is VHF/UHF it will let you down.

KE5CVT Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2014 13:26 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two and use them in conjunction with the AH-4 antenna tuner in mobile, portable and fixed operations. Push the PTT, tunes automatically, transmits and receives from 1.8 to 470 MHz in all modes (AM/FM/SSB,ETC) with the CAP/MARS mod. Menus are simpler and displays are easier to see than the IC-7000 and the Yaseu 857D. Simple. Dependable. Rugged. Getting harder to find.

The Leatherman multi tool of Amateur Transceivers.

LISTENER007 Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2014 23:03 Send this review to a friend
10 years on...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I submitted an opinion on the IC-706MKIIG 10 years ago and in it I thought the 706 might just be the one to hang in there... I was right. I still have it and it's still going strong. I haven't thrashed it to death like some guys do but I have used it regularly and have it on receive most days/nights. Even when the action is all but dead on amateur bands, I still listen to air frequencies and other ultility stations like military and emergency and I even dive down to the depths of CB at times, where you can get some of the best and some of the worst of the non serious radio hobby world, especially in this part of the world (South Pacific). Whatever I listen to, it's a pleasure with the IC-706MKIIG as it seems to bring in everything and connected to a decent small external speaker, it gives lovely sounding audio.

The 706 is a great all-rounder as a compact mobile rig but you can't compare it to a base rig like say my Kenwood TS590S (now "there's" a great rig that can foot-it with the best of them) but it can still serve you well, and in its compact design it has basically everything it takes to get the job done. All it takes is to visit the menu(s) (main or quickset) set it up for your own personal preferences and away you go. Those menus can be the bane or weakest part of the rig if you buy the 706 and don't like the way modern compacts seem to run, having to visit them continually to change things but that's how they make rigs like this affordable, as they are software/menu driven instead of having a button or knob for every aspect of operation and the changing or adjustment thereof. So rather than point out, like many have, the menus as a weak point, it's better to remember just what the 706 is designed to do - be a mobile rig in its own right. Once you think logically, the rest is fun.

The 706 has never looked like quitting or even giving the slightest hint of trouble in those 10 years of use. The only scare I got was once when it suddenly stopped transmitting, but that was because I had been messing with the microphone and didn't plug it back in properly and it came out - scare over. I knew at the time that buying this rig was the best thing to do, to replace the Kenwood TS50 that I owned back then, which was also a great little mobile. The 706 always tunes in easily and is as steady as a rock once on frequency and always gets good reports. I only ever use enough power to make the journey and no more and as such have never actually used full output on SSB. I doubt if I have even used 50%, but then again I am not a hard out dedicated CQ-DX'er like some guys. Amateur radio always has been an enjoyable way to pass the spare time I have on my hands and I never wanted to go hard out and possibly lose the plot. When I'm in a slower easy glide time mood, on goes the 706, if it's not already on, tuned into the airband frequencies I love to haunt and maybe, just maybe I might call CQ CQ CQDX, just to keep the cobwebs from developing...

Did you notice that I have not quoted any figures on performance etc? That's because I simply "use" the rig. I don't pick it to bits and test it for personal gratification and/or bragging rights. It performs magnificently. They say the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Well, if the 706 was a pudding, it has been tasting beautiful, right from first bite. That's basically all I have to say...

I give it 9.9 out of 10 for what it IS...

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2014 07:59 Send this review to a friend
2rd one ...hopefully last...who hasn't said that before..Hi  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Traded for this well rounded MKiiG, shack in a box, downsizing QTH and wanted the space this affords on the desktop. No, it's not the be all to end all, but no rig is or will be. What it is though is a great compromise rig....does almost everything, SSB, V/U, digi modes etc, quite well..not a CW'r so can't comment there..

Receive is up there with the 7200 & other rigs I've recently had, not as selective since it's only got IF shift not Dual Passband IF, but with the narrow Inrad 2.3 ssb filter is darn good at rejection. The transmit audio gets solid copy reports and 100w is a 100w, so there's that, which many disbelieve, but that's "given' her all she's got, Jim"... into a multi band dipole abt 30' and a Cushcraft R4 vertical up 15'...

It's possible having bought this late serial # pristine rig from a 30 yr radio/broadcast engineer who did all the tweaks and know mods for reliability and performance may have some thing to do with it's performance.....

VE7TJL Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2014 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Tough Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
This 706mk2g is my first radio and I bought it new about 4 years ago when I was licensed. I won't compare receive performance to another radio because I've only had this one.

After four years and a few newby mistakes - transmitting into antennas of questionable quality and configuration, transmitting without anything connected etc it's still working just fine. I originally purchased it to operate portable but now that I have a house it's my base station and will be until budget allows more toys.

It does everything it's advertised to do. I get unsolicited good audio and signal reports with the plain old included HM-103 Microphone often. I've used it with digital modes using an interface I made from parts salvaged from telephone modems (schematic/directions were online - lots of info about this radio online). I've talked on it for hours and never had any concern for heat. The fan has kicks up sometimes - doing it's job. I was in doubt about the receiver performance until I discovered the RF Gain adjustment. I wish I had learned that sooner.

I do have the optional 1.8khz and 350khz filters installed. With some creative configuration in the menus you can use the 350khz filters in ssb which is handy for psk31. The filters are a good option but by no means essential.

It's durable, forgiving and it works. Size is great for portable. I have no intention of selling it.

KG4YMQ Rating: 2/5 Jan 10, 2014 09:21 Send this review to a friend
ICOM-706M2G  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a ICOM-706M2G I key the radio to talk and it the middle of my transmit the radio turns off . So I turn it back on and it cuts off again can someone help me with this problem.

K9HJZ Rating: 3/5 Aug 29, 2013 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Driver issue  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had to replace the Driver transistor on both the HF and VHF twice, Not sure what the issue is with the MRF1518 drivers, $99.90 parts only