Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-706 - All flavors
ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Reviews: 458 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $IC-706MKIIG
Description: Ultra Compact HF/6 Meter/2 Meter/440MHz Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/#IC-706MKIIG

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-706 - All flavors.

KE5CVT Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2014 13:26 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two and use them in conjunction with the AH-4 antenna tuner in mobile, portable and fixed operations. Push the PTT, tunes automatically, transmits and receives from 1.8 to 470 MHz in all modes (AM/FM/SSB,ETC) with the CAP/MARS mod. Menus are simpler and displays are easier to see than the IC-7000 and the Yaseu 857D. Simple. Dependable. Rugged. Getting harder to find.

The Leatherman multi tool of Amateur Transceivers.

LISTENER007 Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2014 23:03 Send this review to a friend
10 years on...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I submitted an opinion on the IC-706MKIIG 10 years ago and in it I thought the 706 might just be the one to hang in there... I was right. I still have it and it's still going strong. I haven't thrashed it to death like some guys do but I have used it regularly and have it on receive most days/nights. Even when the action is all but dead on amateur bands, I still listen to air frequencies and other ultility stations like military and emergency and I even dive down to the depths of CB at times, where you can get some of the best and some of the worst of the non serious radio hobby world, especially in this part of the world (South Pacific). Whatever I listen to, it's a pleasure with the IC-706MKIIG as it seems to bring in everything and connected to a decent small external speaker, it gives lovely sounding audio.

The 706 is a great all-rounder as a compact mobile rig but you can't compare it to a base rig like say my Kenwood TS590S (now "there's" a great rig that can foot-it with the best of them) but it can still serve you well, and in its compact design it has basically everything it takes to get the job done. All it takes is to visit the menu(s) (main or quickset) set it up for your own personal preferences and away you go. Those menus can be the bane or weakest part of the rig if you buy the 706 and don't like the way modern compacts seem to run, having to visit them continually to change things but that's how they make rigs like this affordable, as they are software/menu driven instead of having a button or knob for every aspect of operation and the changing or adjustment thereof. So rather than point out, like many have, the menus as a weak point, it's better to remember just what the 706 is designed to do - be a mobile rig in its own right. Once you think logically, the rest is fun.

The 706 has never looked like quitting or even giving the slightest hint of trouble in those 10 years of use. The only scare I got was once when it suddenly stopped transmitting, but that was because I had been messing with the microphone and didn't plug it back in properly and it came out - scare over. I knew at the time that buying this rig was the best thing to do, to replace the Kenwood TS50 that I owned back then, which was also a great little mobile. The 706 always tunes in easily and is as steady as a rock once on frequency and always gets good reports. I only ever use enough power to make the journey and no more and as such have never actually used full output on SSB. I doubt if I have even used 50%, but then again I am not a hard out dedicated CQ-DX'er like some guys. Amateur radio always has been an enjoyable way to pass the spare time I have on my hands and I never wanted to go hard out and possibly lose the plot. When I'm in a slower easy glide time mood, on goes the 706, if it's not already on, tuned into the airband frequencies I love to haunt and maybe, just maybe I might call CQ CQ CQDX, just to keep the cobwebs from developing...

Did you notice that I have not quoted any figures on performance etc? That's because I simply "use" the rig. I don't pick it to bits and test it for personal gratification and/or bragging rights. It performs magnificently. They say the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Well, if the 706 was a pudding, it has been tasting beautiful, right from first bite. That's basically all I have to say...

I give it 9.9 out of 10 for what it IS...

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2014 07:59 Send this review to a friend
2rd one ...hopefully last...who hasn't said that before..Hi  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Traded for this well rounded MKiiG, shack in a box, downsizing QTH and wanted the space this affords on the desktop. No, it's not the be all to end all, but no rig is or will be. What it is though is a great compromise rig....does almost everything, SSB, V/U, digi modes etc, quite well..not a CW'r so can't comment there..

Receive is up there with the 7200 & other rigs I've recently had, not as selective since it's only got IF shift not Dual Passband IF, but with the narrow Inrad 2.3 ssb filter is darn good at rejection. The transmit audio gets solid copy reports and 100w is a 100w, so there's that, which many disbelieve, but that's "given' her all she's got, Jim"... into a multi band dipole abt 30' and a Cushcraft R4 vertical up 15'...

It's possible having bought this late serial # pristine rig from a 30 yr radio/broadcast engineer who did all the tweaks and know mods for reliability and performance may have some thing to do with it's performance.....

VE7TJL Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2014 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Tough Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
This 706mk2g is my first radio and I bought it new about 4 years ago when I was licensed. I won't compare receive performance to another radio because I've only had this one.

After four years and a few newby mistakes - transmitting into antennas of questionable quality and configuration, transmitting without anything connected etc it's still working just fine. I originally purchased it to operate portable but now that I have a house it's my base station and will be until budget allows more toys.

It does everything it's advertised to do. I get unsolicited good audio and signal reports with the plain old included HM-103 Microphone often. I've used it with digital modes using an interface I made from parts salvaged from telephone modems (schematic/directions were online - lots of info about this radio online). I've talked on it for hours and never had any concern for heat. The fan has kicks up sometimes - doing it's job. I was in doubt about the receiver performance until I discovered the RF Gain adjustment. I wish I had learned that sooner.

I do have the optional 1.8khz and 350khz filters installed. With some creative configuration in the menus you can use the 350khz filters in ssb which is handy for psk31. The filters are a good option but by no means essential.

It's durable, forgiving and it works. Size is great for portable. I have no intention of selling it.

KG4YMQ Rating: 2/5 Jan 10, 2014 09:21 Send this review to a friend
ICOM-706M2G  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a ICOM-706M2G I key the radio to talk and it the middle of my transmit the radio turns off . So I turn it back on and it cuts off again can someone help me with this problem.

K9HJZ Rating: 3/5 Aug 29, 2013 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Driver issue  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had to replace the Driver transistor on both the HF and VHF twice, Not sure what the issue is with the MRF1518 drivers, $99.90 parts only

KG7AV Rating: 4/5 Aug 19, 2013 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Solid little rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using an older MkII as front end to a BPQ32 system. Quickly resolved the ubiquitous HF connector issue with some soldering and shrink tube insulation. Did some extensive testing at home QTH and in the field HF ph/dig/cw and 2m FM with no complaints. On the BBS it drives a Comet CHA-250B vertical sans tuner polling 80/40/20 round the clock. So far solid performance running 7x24.

W4ETN Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2013 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Solid Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one in the mobile and another I have for VHF/UHF in the shack. Worked 49 states and 72 countries on 6 meters with it. The IC-706MKIIG is a solid Radio, not fancy but a work horse!

N3AWS Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2013 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Solid performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
The previous reviewer is in error--the 706 series was not on the market in 1991, even the original model. I got my MKIIG shortly after they came on the market and the rig has given me solid performance. I've used it fixed, portable, and mobile. The only band I have not used it on is 160. I've used it in numerous contests, although it is NOT a competition level rig. It has served me well. If I were on an island, this is the rig I would want with me.

73, Jim N3AWS

W9CLL Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2013 07:30 Send this review to a friend
706MKIIG - good rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for a few years now and I use it every day in my car on both HF and VHF/UHF. Its starting to show the age (was purchased in 1991, not by me) with a few things going wrong with it but it keeps working. I have received good audio reports and the receiver is decent, not great but for the car it works fine. If I find another one for the right price I would probably pull the trigger and get it as a backup.

I don't have any complaints about the rig other then there are to many menus but this is a personal issue and not a slam on the radio. It works and I have worked plenty of them through the years.

Good rig, starting to get old now but if can be purchased at a good price worth the investment!