Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-706 - All flavors
ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Reviews: 468 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $IC-706MKIIG
Description: Ultra Compact HF/6 Meter/2 Meter/440MHz Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/#IC-706MKIIG

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-706 - All flavors.

W5VK Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2013 10:08 Send this review to a friend
LOVE THESE RIGS  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since they first came out I've owned the 706, 706MKII, and four 706G models. Every one has worked as advertised plus they are compact, lightweight, easy to use menus, etc. I've used switching p/s, xfmr p/s and 12v batteries. I have used them to operate home station, mobile, portable, with/without amps, with/without external (manual and electronic) tuners... almost every situation imaginable. I have not used 430mhz. I think this little radio will be remembered like the TS 520 and FT 101... a real classic.

HR1ORS Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2013 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Good for mobile ops.  Time owned: more than 12 months
It does very good both in mobile operation as base, not a contester rig. I have atached AT 7000 from LDG electronics as a Antenna Tunner and works perfect for me.
73's
Oscar HR1ORS

KA4KOE Rating: 3/5 Jun 25, 2013 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Stock Radio So-so  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The radio REALLY needs the optional filters to use on CW on a crowded band. Ran a 706MKiig on CW for awhile (1 hour was all I could stand) this past FD, and leaped at the chance to use a TS-2000. Menus are difficult to navigate straight out of the box. Worked ok, but definitely not a contest radio in its stock configuration.

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2013 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Good Mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw the reviews, and some of them were not the nicest, for me, the ICOM 706 MKII, (Which I just obtained), works well..It is after all a mobile unit, and maybe the reveiws are comparing the base units....

I travel alot, and felt this would be perfect, and so far works very well (Audio, TX, RX etc..)...The only issues I had was operating error (Myself!). Took me a little to navigate through the menus...I am used to Kenwood rigs, I have a Kenwood 590S for the base

Summary, good mobile unit..Works fine...and designed as mobile unit, and the price for units are so cheap, if it does fail, buy another one..(Commidity product!)

K4CVR Rating: 1/5 Apr 17, 2013 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Abysmal Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since I bought my IC-706 mkIIG, it's made the trip to Icom America's repair facility in Washington State three times (so far, at my expense). At no point has the original problem of the radio locking up and refusing to transmit/receive been corrected adequately. I was informed I need a new board but Icom would charge me nearly the original cost of the rig for this. Apparently the board isn't covered by the warranty.

Allot of folks raved about this rig so maybe this was just a fluke. Irregardless I won't be doing business with Icom in the future, primarily because of their cavalier and unprofessional attitude towards making the necessary repair(s) to this 706.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2013 17:04 Send this review to a friend
10 years+  Time owned: more than 12 months
10+ years and still going strong..Been in my truck hooked to a AH-4 its whole life and still works perfect. If and when it dies i will buy the newest thing going but for now I am a happy camper!

OD5NJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2013 10:54 Send this review to a friend
IC-706MKIIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this Radio mounted in my car since 2006.
Donated by HZ1BC. It is a good rig which has everything in one box except using the original Antenna with it not a very good idea.
I need to have the CW filters installed I wasn't able to find them but when I do I will be operating as mobile from the mountain.
I admit that Icom did a good job ...

G8UBJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2013 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Competent mobile rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reasonably compact and should be considered for mobile ops only.
I found it comes apart when connected to my fixed low band antennas. Icom put a lot of thought into this rig and although it has its short comings its a sort of Swiss army knife of rigs. You can do almost anything with it, just don't expect contest performance.
My only real gripe is the need for that overly complex remote head mounting cable with a bespoke connector.

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2013 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Still Going Strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine since Icom released the MKIIG and it's still going strong. Was in my truck running mobile VHF and HF. Now it's sitting in my office running JT65 and other digital modes. Once in a while I work the rare DX or DXpedition either SSB or CW without a hitch. Was going to replace it with the 7000 because of the "eye candy", glad I didn't with all the stories I hear about voltage and heat issues.

W9RAS Rating: 0/5 Nov 13, 2012 21:46 Send this review to a friend
Dissapointed parts are no longer available  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a used Icom 706MKIIG in excellent condition BUT It has an intermittent in the PLL board. Icom Service had looked at it and says the Pll board has bad thru plated holes and is not repairable. I contacted Icom parts and they say the boards are NOT available anymore . you would think they would support their products better So I guess I have an Icom 706MKIIG doorstop. BOB