Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-706 - All flavors
ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Reviews: 459 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $IC-706MKIIG
Description: Ultra Compact HF/6 Meter/2 Meter/440MHz Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/#IC-706MKIIG

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-706 - All flavors.

AA8RF Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2003 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Great value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With IC-706MKIIG's going for $719 after rebates at texas towers (including shipping and remoting kit) it is hard to go wrong. I get great audio reports. Great features handy once you learn the menus. Big display. Auto protect finals if high SWR. Built in audio DSP with IF shift melts away those adjacent QRM signals.

Things it needs - tune button should work out of the box ($15 aftermarket adapter fixes that). Menus take a while to learn - function of the form factor. Needs a DTMF mike as standard equipment. Seems a shame to not include 220 MHz - someday a rig will go 160 MTRs thru 1.2GHZ on all the ham bands. It should also cross band repeat but I cannot find any indication that it does.

None the less, great radio for an amazing price.

KD7UBI Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2003 01:04 Send this review to a friend
706 vs 706MKIIG  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MKIIG is alot better than the origional 706 I never had a chance to play with a MKII but I been playing with my radio and I am getting SUPERB results with it. My audio is excellent the only downside is you have to buy a DTMF mic to use the autopatch, IRLP, and Echolink and whatever else requires tones.

The recieving is much better than the origional 706 on VHF and the UHF is a added bonus.

However since I am a tech class license holder as of this review I cannot say anything about the HF capabilities. 50 MHZ is nice I wish I had 100 watts on 2 meters (for SSB) and 35 Watts on UHF but alas that is given up for the amount of features it has.

73s
David
KD7UBI

W4KPA Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2003 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Deserves the praise it gets  Time owned: more than 12 months
With over 160 reviews on here for this radio, I'm not sure what I can add. I've got two of these. One is an original model that I bought new in 1996. The second is a Mark IIg I bought about 15 months ago. Both work great. I've never had a glitch with either one. Neither one has any quirks. One of them is mobile in my pick up, and it's been backpacked all over the place, including an overseas trip to England. The other sits in my home station. This isn't a $3,000 radio, and I'm sure a purist can find a few bones to pick with it. But, for $750 you get 95% of the performance of the most expensive hf radios made, plus acceptable performance on six, two, and 70 cm. They are reliable, and now that they're well along into the third generation, ICOM has all the bugs worked out. If you can only buy one radio, this one is it.

K4HX Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2003 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Finest small rig ever...Period!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my 706 when they were first introduced over 5 years ago. The little rig has performed perfectly ever since.

I continue to be amazed at the quality of performance this mitiature marvel delivers!

The early models had tinny transmit audio, but sound okay with a good desk mic. The MkII's were improved in this area, I believe.

Kudos to Icom's engineering on this one!

NO7OR Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2003 13:31 Send this review to a friend
One Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'd like to start off by saying that I don't claim to be an expert...I am just offering my opinion. This is for the IC-706MKIIG.

So far this radio has been great. I only have a couple of minor complaints and a LOT of praise.

Pros:
For the novice HF radio operator, this rig is very easy to use and set up. It offers tons of features, both standard and optional. The control buttons are well-located and the layout is easy to use and definitely not overwhelming. With the right antenna setup (and I'm still looking for it!), this radio and plenty of power. The DSP functions are wonderful and very nice to have.

Complaints:
The SWR sensitivity seems to be *overly* touchy with the 706MKIIG; if this is a ploy to sell more antenna tuners, I don't appreciate it. It would also be nice - and I know I'm just being picky here - if you could control the volume on the 706 (and other mobile radios) from the hand microphone, maybe even a one-touch mute button on the microphone. With the 118 hand mic, why not add the ability for direct frequency input from the number pad?

Summary:
I looked at different radios for months before finally deciding on the 706. Other radios on my "list" were the Yaesu 100D and the new 857. I am EXTREMELY pleased with my decision - especially after getting some hands-on time with a friend's Yaesu. One of the features that moved me was the ability to send CW from the mic without the need to purchase additional equipment. I had heard from others that this is hard to do and awkward, but I have not found this to be true - it has been very easy to send CW from the mic. So far, I am using my 706 with a Larsen 5/8-wave 2M antenna, a handful or Hamsticks, and a Van Gorden 20m dipole.

I will write another review after I have had this radio longer. For more of my thoughts on this rig, or to see my installation into a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, please visit my site at http://www.NO7OR.com

VE3IVM Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2003 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Good but not great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First of all "Band" buttons located extremely inconveniently. Main dial is always on your way when you want to push them.

Secondly, would like to see Backlight adjustment moved from Initial Setup Menu to Quick menu. As it is now I have to turn the radio off, then power it up holding another button to get into Initial Setup, set backlight, power off to save, and power on again. Not a right way when mobile.

Thirdly, the radio makes loud "booom!" when turned on and off. Every time have to kill AF gain control before pushing "Power" button to prevent car speakers from hitting car's roof. Would like to see sound output muted for a second when the radio is being powered on and off.

Also microphone’s PTT switch is a way too soft. Easily activates accidentally when holding the mike just scanning the band with "Up" and "Down" buttons.

Squelch control could be better on VHF/UHF. Somebody wrote here 706 uses S-meter level to cut the audio off. From how it performs it seems to be true, but Icom 706 service manual says in FM mode it is a noise controlled squelch, as it is supposed to be. So my guess would be the noise detector time constant is too small to prevent unwanted fast changing signals from getting through. Would like to see that addressed.

Overall a good buy for the price, and HF performs sufficiently to me. Will give it 4/5.

Ivan

W1PPJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2003 04:54 Send this review to a friend
Performs average and is over priced  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Likes:
Size
CW keyer
All bands
All modes
SWR readings
Var. Power level
Band Graphics
Swing out stand
Set up fuctions (good control of fuctions)
Nice Display size
Electronic Selective tuning control.
Performs average

Dislike:
Poor Tuning knob (mech)speed adjust.TOO Tight!
Poor RIT, Don't like CLICK knob adjust.
not impressed noise blanker.using same knob for adjusting DSP and changing memory channels causes problems (I mean to do one and end up doing the other.)
Poor RF/SQL setup
Very Poor OPT filters instructions (ribbon interferance problem tore mine putting in filters).
No selective color back lighting.
Can not program your Call in int setup in case rig gets stolen.
Poor manual(have to jump around to much to setup.
Over Priced!
Optional filters should NOT be an option and are priced to high.
mobile bracket should not be an option. Thought I buying a Complete radio not a kit!

Overall:Performs average and is over priced

WD4AOG Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2003 14:44 Send this review to a friend
IC-706MKIIG  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Things I like...
having HF/VHF/UHF all in one rig,
compactness
detachable faceplate,
output power range
transmit audio even with stock mic
automatic notch filter

Things I wish were different...
how about 8 pin jack on rear instead of RJ45
needs simpler menu (much there I don't need)
needs to be less prone to intermod at VHF (setting squelch to receive distant signals allows annoying squelch breaks on scan when mobile in cities. Setting it to squelch out intermod cuts out even moderate level signals.)
needs adjustable beep level (too loud)
lacks cross-band repeat
lacks ability to monitor HF & VHF/UHF simultaneously
speaker lacks low end response (less pleasing to the ear than other rigs)
not impressed with DSP or noise blanker
using same knob for adjusting DSP and changing memory channels causes problems (I mean to do one and end up doing the other)

Having said all that, I'd still recommend the rig and, now that I own one, I see why they are so popular. I like it and plan to keep mine for a long time.

KN6LE Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2003 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the IC-706MK2 new about 3 years ago. I have used it in the home shack and in numerous portable operations. Never has failed to perform flawlessy. This radio has definitely been put through the fire. I have not handled it softly in any way. Great audio reports, good sounding cw. Before this had a bad Yaesu, maybe that is why the IC-706 seems so nice! Got the itch to upgrade my radio, but there is no question what it will be, the MK2G of course.

WA7H Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2003 09:26 Send this review to a friend
My First Icom  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first Icom and I like it. Very good mobile rig and probably a good base station as well. An old friend of mine talked me into it instead of the Yaesu FT-100D I was going to buy. Unfortunately, the first 706 I received did not work, but HRO replaced it with another that works great. I bought this Icom in December 2002 along with a Kenwood TS-B2000 and a Ten-Tec Pegasus 550. The Icom works much better than the Kenwood which is back at Kenwood hopefully being repaired, but not quite as good as the Ten-Tec which works great. I wish that I could monitor 2 meter or 440 while on the HF bands and I would like to have cross band repeater capability. It has some strange operating procedures but maybe that's just an Icom "thing" that I'm not used to. The memory frequencies aren't locked in when your in memory mode and the NR system has to be tailored to every frequency and QSO. The biggest problem I have is not with the radio but the fact that it is mounted in a Ford with a very noisy fuel pump. This is a common Ford problem, but Ford no longer offers the RF Filters to fix the problem so I guess I'll have to get used to the noise. I've put ferrite beads everywhere with no relief and the NB and NR won't get rid of it. With the engine off it has realy good sensativity and fair selectivity but would do better with the optional filters. I installed the optional voice announcement chip in the rig in hopes of having it announce the operating frequency (so I don't have to look at the radio when I'm mobile), but it only announces the mode when I change to a new mode, very dissapointing. I also bought the Icom AH-4 Auto tuner and mounted it near the base of the whip antenna and it works great (Radio Shack whip for $14 not the Icom whip for $360). I am very impressed with the antenna tuner. Overall it's a good radio and I hope to have it a long time.