Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-706 - All flavors
ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Reviews: 462 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $IC-706MKIIG
Description: Ultra Compact HF/6 Meter/2 Meter/440MHz Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/#IC-706MKIIG

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-706 - All flavors.

CASPER669 Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2003 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Room For Improvement...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned mine since February of this year and here's what I can tell you...

PRO's

The 706(MKIIG) has much better receive capabilities than the FT-100D(which I also own). The 706 also has a menu system which is better than the aforementioned FT-100D. The remote kit only requires a single cable, whereas the FT-100D requires three. The ANF (auto-notch filter) works well. Attached to an all-band dipole and the LDG AT-11MP Auto-Tuner, this unit is unstoppable on HF! Audio quality is always very good, even with the stock mic - even better with the HEIL iCM mic.

CON's

DSP sucks, period! Only one of them actually works well (ANF). The NB is below average, the NR is even worse, making everything sound like it's underwater. The Compression level is actually set via a screw on the right side of the unit (front view). This does not make sense since everything else is menu driven and makes it a pain to change it (depending on band conditions) when you have the unit installed in cramp areas.

Overall, the 706 (MKIIG) is a sturdy, easy to use all-band, all-mode unit, which would do well as a base station. I would NOT recommend this unit for mobile operations, considering the lack of a good DSP filter chipset. It's a good rig.

Chris - KC2KFW

KP4HE Rating: 3/5 Apr 14, 2003 01:17 Send this review to a friend
not complete yet  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very compact but it lacks direct frequency input, It's not a good scanner. Mic punch is low and only some mics will work well. I like it's separation kit to make it very versatil as a portable (show the face hide the rest)even the noisy fan. Accsesories are very expensive (I guess that has to do with ICOM) Lot of information about this little guy found everywhere. Great moble rig (all bands, all modes) if you have a nice moble antenna system you won't need anything else other than an antenna tunner. Haven't heard about many defects or common problem but, I'v seen many ads wanting to trade for Yaesu's compacts.(wonder why?). Other than that I will keep my two for a while now. Have fun

KC9AAE Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2003 00:58 Send this review to a friend
Perfect 1st Rig for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 706MKIIG is my "first" actual radio, with the only thing to compare it to is my Kenwood G71A. I purchased the radio with the AH-4 running 70ft of wire at the moment, (will be setting up a flat top shortly) and a Comet G-3 2/440. What can I say, but that I really like this rig! I was leary about the menuing system prior to purchase, but after using it, it's a piece of cake... and very easy to use.

Wish list? Better DSP and putting the back light function into the main M1 (or similar) menu. Why the hel* Icom decided on tossing that function into the Initial set mode operation is beyond me.
Also, an additional HF antenna connection would be nice.

73's

Dana

AA8RF Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2003 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Great value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With IC-706MKIIG's going for $719 after rebates at texas towers (including shipping and remoting kit) it is hard to go wrong. I get great audio reports. Great features handy once you learn the menus. Big display. Auto protect finals if high SWR. Built in audio DSP with IF shift melts away those adjacent QRM signals.

Things it needs - tune button should work out of the box ($15 aftermarket adapter fixes that). Menus take a while to learn - function of the form factor. Needs a DTMF mike as standard equipment. Seems a shame to not include 220 MHz - someday a rig will go 160 MTRs thru 1.2GHZ on all the ham bands. It should also cross band repeat but I cannot find any indication that it does.

None the less, great radio for an amazing price.

KD7UBI Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2003 01:04 Send this review to a friend
706 vs 706MKIIG  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MKIIG is alot better than the origional 706 I never had a chance to play with a MKII but I been playing with my radio and I am getting SUPERB results with it. My audio is excellent the only downside is you have to buy a DTMF mic to use the autopatch, IRLP, and Echolink and whatever else requires tones.

The recieving is much better than the origional 706 on VHF and the UHF is a added bonus.

However since I am a tech class license holder as of this review I cannot say anything about the HF capabilities. 50 MHZ is nice I wish I had 100 watts on 2 meters (for SSB) and 35 Watts on UHF but alas that is given up for the amount of features it has.

73s
David
KD7UBI

W4KPA Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2003 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Deserves the praise it gets  Time owned: more than 12 months
With over 160 reviews on here for this radio, I'm not sure what I can add. I've got two of these. One is an original model that I bought new in 1996. The second is a Mark IIg I bought about 15 months ago. Both work great. I've never had a glitch with either one. Neither one has any quirks. One of them is mobile in my pick up, and it's been backpacked all over the place, including an overseas trip to England. The other sits in my home station. This isn't a $3,000 radio, and I'm sure a purist can find a few bones to pick with it. But, for $750 you get 95% of the performance of the most expensive hf radios made, plus acceptable performance on six, two, and 70 cm. They are reliable, and now that they're well along into the third generation, ICOM has all the bugs worked out. If you can only buy one radio, this one is it.

K4HX Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2003 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Finest small rig ever...Period!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my 706 when they were first introduced over 5 years ago. The little rig has performed perfectly ever since.

I continue to be amazed at the quality of performance this mitiature marvel delivers!

The early models had tinny transmit audio, but sound okay with a good desk mic. The MkII's were improved in this area, I believe.

Kudos to Icom's engineering on this one!

NO7OR Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2003 13:31 Send this review to a friend
One Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'd like to start off by saying that I don't claim to be an expert...I am just offering my opinion. This is for the IC-706MKIIG.

So far this radio has been great. I only have a couple of minor complaints and a LOT of praise.

Pros:
For the novice HF radio operator, this rig is very easy to use and set up. It offers tons of features, both standard and optional. The control buttons are well-located and the layout is easy to use and definitely not overwhelming. With the right antenna setup (and I'm still looking for it!), this radio and plenty of power. The DSP functions are wonderful and very nice to have.

Complaints:
The SWR sensitivity seems to be *overly* touchy with the 706MKIIG; if this is a ploy to sell more antenna tuners, I don't appreciate it. It would also be nice - and I know I'm just being picky here - if you could control the volume on the 706 (and other mobile radios) from the hand microphone, maybe even a one-touch mute button on the microphone. With the 118 hand mic, why not add the ability for direct frequency input from the number pad?

Summary:
I looked at different radios for months before finally deciding on the 706. Other radios on my "list" were the Yaesu 100D and the new 857. I am EXTREMELY pleased with my decision - especially after getting some hands-on time with a friend's Yaesu. One of the features that moved me was the ability to send CW from the mic without the need to purchase additional equipment. I had heard from others that this is hard to do and awkward, but I have not found this to be true - it has been very easy to send CW from the mic. So far, I am using my 706 with a Larsen 5/8-wave 2M antenna, a handful or Hamsticks, and a Van Gorden 20m dipole.

I will write another review after I have had this radio longer. For more of my thoughts on this rig, or to see my installation into a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, please visit my site at http://www.NO7OR.com

VE3IVM Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2003 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Good but not great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First of all "Band" buttons located extremely inconveniently. Main dial is always on your way when you want to push them.

Secondly, would like to see Backlight adjustment moved from Initial Setup Menu to Quick menu. As it is now I have to turn the radio off, then power it up holding another button to get into Initial Setup, set backlight, power off to save, and power on again. Not a right way when mobile.

Thirdly, the radio makes loud "booom!" when turned on and off. Every time have to kill AF gain control before pushing "Power" button to prevent car speakers from hitting car's roof. Would like to see sound output muted for a second when the radio is being powered on and off.

Also microphone’s PTT switch is a way too soft. Easily activates accidentally when holding the mike just scanning the band with "Up" and "Down" buttons.

Squelch control could be better on VHF/UHF. Somebody wrote here 706 uses S-meter level to cut the audio off. From how it performs it seems to be true, but Icom 706 service manual says in FM mode it is a noise controlled squelch, as it is supposed to be. So my guess would be the noise detector time constant is too small to prevent unwanted fast changing signals from getting through. Would like to see that addressed.

Overall a good buy for the price, and HF performs sufficiently to me. Will give it 4/5.

Ivan

W1PPJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2003 04:54 Send this review to a friend
Performs average and is over priced  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Likes:
Size
CW keyer
All bands
All modes
SWR readings
Var. Power level
Band Graphics
Swing out stand
Set up fuctions (good control of fuctions)
Nice Display size
Electronic Selective tuning control.
Performs average

Dislike:
Poor Tuning knob (mech)speed adjust.TOO Tight!
Poor RIT, Don't like CLICK knob adjust.
not impressed noise blanker.using same knob for adjusting DSP and changing memory channels causes problems (I mean to do one and end up doing the other.)
Poor RF/SQL setup
Very Poor OPT filters instructions (ribbon interferance problem tore mine putting in filters).
No selective color back lighting.
Can not program your Call in int setup in case rig gets stolen.
Poor manual(have to jump around to much to setup.
Over Priced!
Optional filters should NOT be an option and are priced to high.
mobile bracket should not be an option. Thought I buying a Complete radio not a kit!

Overall:Performs average and is over priced