Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-706 - All flavors
ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Reviews: 466 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $IC-706MKIIG
Description: Ultra Compact HF/6 Meter/2 Meter/440MHz Transceiver

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-706 - All flavors.

WD8PER Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2003 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Good performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I agree with most of the Pros & Cons with this rig. One problem I've noticed with mine is it isn't very stable when operating on UHF/VHF SSB. Maybe it's just my rig or it needs the TCXO.
DO2YIC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2003 17:23 Send this review to a friend
BUY IT !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pro: Fantastic TX Audio ! ! ! Preamplifier works as it should work, sensitive and fine RX altogether. ANF Noth works good. Optional 1.9 KHz SSB IF Filter reduces the QRM significant. Every knob on this radio has a light, very easy to operate at night. Many Functions: Scan, Memory, vox+antivox, Duplex, BANDSCOPE and SWR GRAPH....
2nd Mic conector on the rear is funny.

Contra: Bad Intermodulation and QRM on 40m. RX needs help on that, Maybee by a Preselektor.
NR promises to much.

It isnt a IC 781 on 40m but it doesnt claim to be. Allogether a great radio for me:
4.6 !
AF5U Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2003 00:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Little Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I did like you are probably doing right now reseaching what to purchase. There are more and more choices all the time. But ask around with the guys who operate HF mobile. They start to say the same thing - the IC706MKIIG is just a great little rig that is really easy to operate even at night. It is and will continue to be a classic mobile radio that is no slouch at home on your operators table.
We are not all alike - we are different ages and have different likes and dislikes. I am at the age where smaller radios are more difficult to see, and my hearing is not what it used to be. Sure there are smaller radios - but what good are they if I can not use them fully? I can mount the control panel of the IC706 right on my sterring wheel colum and see it all and hear its audio perfectly. I even operate CW mobile. Even at night, I can see the control panel no problem. The brake on the main tuning knob also helps soften the road effect on detuning (road QSYing) as I go off road or on ruff roads. Try that with a Ten Tec Scout...heehee
David Little,
K7FD Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2003 16:46 Send this review to a friend
W7BO's got one...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
...that's good enough for me. If any radio can live through JJ's gorilla tests, it must be good!! I picked one up for the RV at HRO in Portland and can't say I'm anything less than thrilled...

The menu'ing is actually logical, layout ergonomic; I did look at the new Yaesu mini HF'er 857 and got dizzy. That's gotta be the funhouse of radios...once I go in, I may not find my way out!!

I definitely like the one separation cable - the less spaghetti, the better. However I may pick up another cable just to have one go one way and the other another in the RV...enabling me to switch the rig from front to rear of the living quarters, etc...

Now I just gotta figure out my antenna...

73, John K7FD

CASPER669 Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2003 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Room For Improvement...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned mine since February of this year and here's what I can tell you...

The 706(MKIIG) has much better receive capabilities than the FT-100D(which I also own). The 706 also has a menu system which is better than the aforementioned FT-100D. The remote kit only requires a single cable, whereas the FT-100D requires three. The ANF (auto-notch filter) works well. Attached to an all-band dipole and the LDG AT-11MP Auto-Tuner, this unit is unstoppable on HF! Audio quality is always very good, even with the stock mic - even better with the HEIL iCM mic.

DSP sucks, period! Only one of them actually works well (ANF). The NB is below average, the NR is even worse, making everything sound like it's underwater. The Compression level is actually set via a screw on the right side of the unit (front view). This does not make sense since everything else is menu driven and makes it a pain to change it (depending on band conditions) when you have the unit installed in cramp areas.

Overall, the 706 (MKIIG) is a sturdy, easy to use all-band, all-mode unit, which would do well as a base station. I would NOT recommend this unit for mobile operations, considering the lack of a good DSP filter chipset. It's a good rig.

Chris - KC2KFW
KP4HE Rating: 3/5 Apr 14, 2003 01:17 Send this review to a friend
not complete yet  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very compact but it lacks direct frequency input, It's not a good scanner. Mic punch is low and only some mics will work well. I like it's separation kit to make it very versatil as a portable (show the face hide the rest)even the noisy fan. Accsesories are very expensive (I guess that has to do with ICOM) Lot of information about this little guy found everywhere. Great moble rig (all bands, all modes) if you have a nice moble antenna system you won't need anything else other than an antenna tunner. Haven't heard about many defects or common problem but, I'v seen many ads wanting to trade for Yaesu's compacts.(wonder why?). Other than that I will keep my two for a while now. Have fun
KC9AAE Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2003 00:58 Send this review to a friend
Perfect 1st Rig for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 706MKIIG is my "first" actual radio, with the only thing to compare it to is my Kenwood G71A. I purchased the radio with the AH-4 running 70ft of wire at the moment, (will be setting up a flat top shortly) and a Comet G-3 2/440. What can I say, but that I really like this rig! I was leary about the menuing system prior to purchase, but after using it, it's a piece of cake... and very easy to use.

Wish list? Better DSP and putting the back light function into the main M1 (or similar) menu. Why the hel* Icom decided on tossing that function into the Initial set mode operation is beyond me.
Also, an additional HF antenna connection would be nice.

AA8RF Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2003 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Great value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With IC-706MKIIG's going for $719 after rebates at texas towers (including shipping and remoting kit) it is hard to go wrong. I get great audio reports. Great features handy once you learn the menus. Big display. Auto protect finals if high SWR. Built in audio DSP with IF shift melts away those adjacent QRM signals.

Things it needs - tune button should work out of the box ($15 aftermarket adapter fixes that). Menus take a while to learn - function of the form factor. Needs a DTMF mike as standard equipment. Seems a shame to not include 220 MHz - someday a rig will go 160 MTRs thru 1.2GHZ on all the ham bands. It should also cross band repeat but I cannot find any indication that it does.

None the less, great radio for an amazing price.
KD7UBI Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2003 01:04 Send this review to a friend
706 vs 706MKIIG  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MKIIG is alot better than the origional 706 I never had a chance to play with a MKII but I been playing with my radio and I am getting SUPERB results with it. My audio is excellent the only downside is you have to buy a DTMF mic to use the autopatch, IRLP, and Echolink and whatever else requires tones.

The recieving is much better than the origional 706 on VHF and the UHF is a added bonus.

However since I am a tech class license holder as of this review I cannot say anything about the HF capabilities. 50 MHZ is nice I wish I had 100 watts on 2 meters (for SSB) and 35 Watts on UHF but alas that is given up for the amount of features it has.

W4KPA Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2003 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Deserves the praise it gets  Time owned: more than 12 months
With over 160 reviews on here for this radio, I'm not sure what I can add. I've got two of these. One is an original model that I bought new in 1996. The second is a Mark IIg I bought about 15 months ago. Both work great. I've never had a glitch with either one. Neither one has any quirks. One of them is mobile in my pick up, and it's been backpacked all over the place, including an overseas trip to England. The other sits in my home station. This isn't a $3,000 radio, and I'm sure a purist can find a few bones to pick with it. But, for $750 you get 95% of the performance of the most expensive hf radios made, plus acceptable performance on six, two, and 70 cm. They are reliable, and now that they're well along into the third generation, ICOM has all the bugs worked out. If you can only buy one radio, this one is it.