Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Tram 1190 Glass Mount 2M Mobile Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Tram 1190 Glass Mount 2M Mobile Antenna
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2M thru-glass antenna. Covers 144-148 (tuning tool included) with a 28-1/2" thin whip. Comes with 17' coax with PL259. SWR typical 1.5.1. 50 Watt max power.

You can write your own review of the Tram 1190 Glass Mount 2M Mobile Antenna.

KC2LZO Rating: 2/5 Mar 30, 2009 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Good performer for a couple days  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought a new car, and unfortunately I can't find a suitable mounting point for an antenna on the metal, so I was forced to resort to glass-mount. While this antenna worked well the first time I keyed it up, the performance degraded rather rapidly.

When I installed it, I borrowed an SWR meter, and tuned it as low as I could get the SWR on the 2m band. Said borrowed meter didn't have a 440 setting, so I didn't bother. SWR on install tuned to 1.3:1 on 146Mhz, which was quite acceptable.

I installed it, and almost immediately noticed a problem after a long QSO totaling about 20 minutes at 50W. Suddenly the 440 transmit didn't work. When I say "didn't work" I mean it came out broken. My first instinct was to check SWR again, this time it read 2:1 on 146, and to top it off, the tuning slug would not spin.

More intriguing is that Radio Shack sells these antennas as CB antennas, with only a different sticker on the interior portion. When at the recent hamfest I noticed many of these same antennae with all kinds of different frequency plaques on the interior portion. A few even said 24-1300 RX/TX. Take heed.

I'm disappointed that it only took four weeks for this antenna to break, especially when I never exceeded the power rating. I won't buy one of these ever again. If you're considering this antenna, please reconsider the MFJ-1734.

W4CWG Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2007 20:06 Send this review to a friend
Great so far for the $$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received one of these today purchased for less than $20 plus shipping and mounted it on the rear window of a 2007 Nissan Frontier pickup. This antenna looks and acts exactly like an ATOC ATA144 I got in 2002 for the wife's van (still working).

It tunes well, although like the ATOC, it has to have a choke (clamp-on ferrite bead) if you don't want the SWR wandering all over the place when you move the cable or mic! I added one that measured about 3uH 10" or so from the glass mount, retuned a tad and it's stable. Positioning of the bead or any cable between the bead and antenna affects tuning so that's why I put it where I did and added a cable clamp to keep the coax from flopping around.

One caution: get it exactly where you want it before letting it touch the glass. It really sticks. On mine the base had to be tilted a few degrees toward one side to make the whip exactly vertical. Whip adjusts in pitch with a screw but not roll (except when you position the base or bend the whip).

Likes: small size (2" sq. base and 28-1/2" whip), small price, works well
Dislikes: needs ferite bead for stability.

I tuned it at 147MHz (there's a tiny hole in the base and a supplied tiny nonmetallic tuning tool) and it's 1.2:1 there and stays below 1.7 from 145 to 148. I hit it with 50W from an IC2100H and didn't see any smoke but haven't had a long QSO yet.