Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | Shortwave Log Help

Reviews Summary for Shortwave Log
Shortwave Log Reviews: 10 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $FREE
Description: Logging, Receiver Control and Recording
More info: http://www.shortwavelog.com

You can write your own review of the Shortwave Log.

K5TED Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2012 22:07 Send this review to a friend
Still great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Using Shortwave Log build 4366 to control:

PCR-1000
PCR-1500
FT-857D
Flex 1500

What a great program. Too bad the website and support/dev is gone.

Thanks Bob for a still great app! We miss you.

ERIEDXER Rating: 0/5 Nov 19, 2010 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Ridiculous  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took almost 20 minutes to download compressed files. Then took another 20 minutes to install, and it continues to download files while doing so. Then prompts to download Windoiws installer 4, then reboot and start the install over again, another 30+ minutes. Did all that, and was excited. Then it prompts to reboot again to finish the install. On reboot computer blue-screens, and continually attempts to reboot. Had to run system restore to get rebooted and remove this huge pile of waste. I have never had any problems with loading any other software on this perticular computer. At that point I gave up as this is obviously a complete waste of time with possible damaging results. Well over 1 hour of downloads and installs then rewarded with a blue screen on boot up for a shortwave logging program? Come on, get real!

WPE9FNN Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2009 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Great asset to SWL!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This free software program has been a wonderful tool for me as I reentered the world of shortwave listening several months ago with a Kenwood R-1000 receiver. I started in the 1960's with a Knight SpanMaster and progressed through a DX-300 in the 1980's. This program provides simple logging of stations with much of the data entry automatically filled in due to the large number of accurate shortwave data bases which Shortwave Log allows you to download, install and use. This software simply takes the work out of identifying transmitters and allows me to concentrate on listening and expanding my list of logged stations. The capabilities to sort the data easily and determine what's on the air at any given moment, see a map of the transmitter location, display LUF/MUF to my location as well as beam, azimuth and distance, and also to record my logged stations are amazing. All for one great price - free!

TERRYW Rating: 0/5 Jul 21, 2009 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Poor support and non-functional  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bob has lost the basics: being able to control the radio.

I'm glad his program works on his computer. It's a succession of error screens on mine, but the little support he offers suggests that's my problem, not his.

Unfortunate. An ignoble end to a formerly great program.

MM0AMV Rating: 0/5 Jul 18, 2009 03:22 Send this review to a friend
Poor install  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Absolutely massive install which takes forever even on a fast broadband connection.
And then it doesn't work.
Hours of fiddling about and it still doesn't work.
To install this software you need two things.
a) lots of patience.
b) years of experience with MS SQL Server.
Definitely not recommended.

K6DZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2009 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Works well.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Especially good for SWL'ers.
Imports many internet SW databases including Klingenfuss (UTEs).
Freeware.
Yahoo support site.
Many features.
His website also back up and running.
Reviewed in Monitoring Times (download at SWLog website)
Only few minor problems after many years using.
Robert advises to use Keyspan USB to serial port converters, that brand worked perfectly for me.

TERRYW Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2008 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Free Logging Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, there is a lot to install, but the setup does it all automatically, so there's nothing to cry about.

After that, you can use the program to download and import a dozen frequency schedules and collate the information from them, browse the database by MUF/LUF to your CIRAC zone, tune your PC radio by clicking the frequency list, log a station by double clicking on the list, enter your SINPO and other info for the log, see a zoomable satellite photo of the transmitter, add an audio file to the log, add a jpeg to the log, host your PC radio online, control other PC radios online, run several DSP programs, record the audio from your radio in whichever of many audio file types and bitrates you want, right click on the world map to tune to stations now broadcasting as per the frequency lists - and a lot more besides that.

All for free and with excellent support from the author on his website (though some of the people who post on the forum like to cry for no reason.)

VE7SDX Rating: 0/5 Sep 2, 2007 21:26 Send this review to a friend
Garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To much crap to install, very poor set up.

KE0MF Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2007 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Pkg - Maybe No Longer Supported Now  Time owned: more than 12 months
As far as I know, this product's future support has been pulled by the author, after a bunch of negative comments by some users followings issues with the latest FREE update to the already FREE package. The supporting website is offline, so I did not really get a chance to post my comments there, so I am posting them here instead:

Well, I think it is very unfortunate that some people who have no understanding of the HUGE amount of effort required to design, produce, upgrade, and maintain an application of this quality and complexity would speak out so irresponsibly. I actually happen to write software for a living myself, and I have dabbled with some Windows software, and I can just tell you that even for a simple application (which this is not), there are a lot of details involved in getting things to operate properly. Then getting the program to properly install and run on the uncountable number of variations of systems out there is a monumental task, made harder by the fact that, quite frankly, some folks don't know their way around their own systems well enough to properly install anything.

I think the tone of some of the responses would have to be considered extremely inappropriate, even if the program was not free - GIVEN THAT THIS IS A FREE PROGRAM, IT IS ALMOST LAUGHABLE THAT SOME PEOPLE FEEL EMPOWERED TO TEAR DOWN THE PROGRAM, AND AT LEAST INDIRECTLY THE DEVELOPER.

I for one have used the program for a couple of years, and I still consider it to be the absolute shining example of a quality application. having
followed the installation instructions and backed up my version directory before installing version 5, I can still run my version 3 code, even though I am having issues with the Version 5 install atm. I personally plan to:

- Use Version 3 for now

- Patiently wait for the possibility that Bob decides to put himself back out there and decide that it is still worth supporting his fine product
(I would certainly understand if he does not...)

Finally, I would like to say one more thing. I concur with another user response who said that he would pay for the program regardless of it being
free. I have felt a bit guilty for not getting around to making a donation sooner. Now, especially if Bob is walking away from this project for good, I would like to essentially pay some money for the excellent use I have already gotten from this program. If the website returns to operations, I'll use that mechanism, otherwise I'd invite Bob to send me an address (or a PayPal account) where I can send my money to.

Thanks Bob, for an absolutely wonderful program, and even if you are done working on this, please understand that even though there are a number of ungrateful users out there, some of us appreciate all that you have done for us.

Respectfully,

Mike Lewis
KE0MF

KB1FZA Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2007 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent software!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Shortwave Log just released version 5. This is an amazing piece of software by Robert Sillett (N3OEA). This software is free, it has a nice yahoo group for support and the quality of software engineering is comparable with the one of HRD.
So far this is the best logging software for SWL i've seen. It supports virtually any type of shortwave database out there. The rig control works just fine with my IC-R75 and my FT-920. I've been using HRD to aid my SWL but since ILG suspended their database I switched to Shortwave Log and I am not going back. The database support is nothing but amazing! The schedueled recording is also excellent. Just A word of caution - installation process is a bit heavy and long. It required a whole bunch of prerequisites, mainly SQL database support, Speech API, etc - all listed on the web site. It takes sometime to learn all the tricks but it is worth it!