Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Original W6AAQ Screwdriver Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Original W6AAQ Screwdriver Antenna
Original W6AAQ Screwdriver Antenna Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $150.00 + $12 S/H
Description: Continuously Tuneable High Performance HF Mobile Antenna
More info: http://www.w6aaq.com

You can write your own review of the Original W6AAQ Screwdriver Antenna.

VA7TF Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2010 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna but....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the DK-3 for several years and have been experimenting (as hams should) with different mobile antennas, Webster Bandmaster, Hamstick, Hustler, home brew, etc. But, during the last several months, I have been using the DK-3 more and more.

Now the problem...since I remove the antenna quite regularly, the sleeve and pin have lost the tight grip. So, I have had to attach a "stablizer" so I do not loose the antenna while driving.

N7TEE Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2008 14:05 Send this review to a friend
W6AAQ Screwdriver Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
The reason that it got a 4 is the fact that it needed some help for living on the Oregon coast. The orginal screw was just plain steel not stainless, so the rust got to it. Second time around, first time just cleaned it and greased it. Replaced the motor with the
Radio Shack 273-256. Alot of crud from running around in the brush having to take it down (off the rig)and putting it in the bed of the truck. The antenna is a great one to use on anything from 6 meters up.

K3JJC Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2008 04:11 Send this review to a friend
The best there is.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used the DK-3 mobile on a Ford Explorer with and Icom IC-706MKIIG. Used daily on a 75 meter net and weekly on a 20 meter net. Worked many DX stations and almost all states.
Talked with Don on the phone, a great guy to talk radio with.
Spectacular performance with this great antenna. A+++.

WB0QGA Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2005 09:27 Send this review to a friend
DK3 used in CC&R Environment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently moved into a CC&R housing area. Out went my Force 12 C4 and tower. I tried the old 4BTV, great VSWR but just couldn't be heard and the receive noise on 40 was terrible.

Enter the original DK3 screwdriver antenna. What a performer! I'm back on the HF bands again. The paperwork on the antenna didn't give much hope of using it in non mobile applications. Here is what I did.

Get some sheet metal ( I used 11 ga SS) have 2 strips sheared that are 8-10" wide and 4 foot long. One of my strips is 5' and one is four foot. I bent the last 12" of the five foot strip up to allow me to bolt on to the side of my house. Place the strips to form an "X". Bolt them togther and install the tapered plug mount in the center. I used SS hardware, lockwashers and double nutted the crosses. Be sure to include a ground stud on each of of the strips.

Mount the thing to the roof and place the screwdriver in the center. (Mine is up 14' high 2' from a vertical wall that blocks it from the front of the house) Connect BRAIDED ground straps from the lower "FASTON" connector to the each of the two panels. I left the matching network with no shorted turns, all 8 turns active.

This has worked like a dream. Perfect matches on all the bands with a little higher (1.6:1) on 17m. I've been working 80m again without problems. Absolutely no TVI so I bought the 100 watt amp for my K2. I've used my TS-940, TS-450 and FT-920 with the tuners off and no problems.

BE SURE to include lightning protection and ground wire if mounted on the roof. The antenna will resonate perfectly with the counterpoise and no ground but the XYL wouldn't appreciate a lightning strike.

Doug at Starfiretec was wonderful to work with and the service (shipping, communications etc) has been great.

No this isn't a paid ad or commercial for the antenna. It was my solution to get back on the air after lossing the antenna farm. It worked for me and just might be the answer for you too.

73's
Don (WB0QGA)

G0LGJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2005 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Wow what a antenna, was using mono banders and missng the DX on the other bands. Visited Don when in the states got the antenna back home mounted it on the rear of my car. Woring all bands 80 -10 with a flick of a switch.
Great ant and great man to sit and talk too.

Mark G0LGJ

W1ZE Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2005 13:06 Send this review to a friend
The original is still the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using a Screwdriver antenna on my P/Us since 98 and consider them the best overall performers. I used an ElectraSlide until a few weeks ago. I wanted to use it in another application and I was lucky to find a like-new DK3 at a hamfest here in Maine. The DK3 installs easy and the performance is very good. The thing that sets the DK3 apart from from the ElectraSlide is the built-in Z-match at the antenna base. It makes tuning easy and I didn't have to mess around with a toroid matching coil or other base impedance matching arrangements. Like Don advises I found the 10 and 12 meter sweet spots just above the 75-meter coil position. Go figure... Good job Don!

Bruce/W1ZE Phippsburg, ME.

N6AJR Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2004 21:35 Send this review to a friend
W6AAQ makes the best, the original  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just bought my second one ( I won the first one ) and Also had a good time listening to Don and his wife ( also a ham) at Larrys get together, and had a good visit to boot..

Any how, his antenna is legendary, as is his helpfullness. Get his book and have fun reading, the man and the antenna are both amazing.. the essence of ham radio..

Do a search up there ^ in the corner on W6AAQ and drop Don an email to have him build yours..and by the way, this has a matching net built in ( its actually a design function) so you mount it to ground, not to a big plastic washer, much easier and stronger,

Drill a hole in the bumper mount the base, pop on the antenna , run coax and the up- down wires.. mount the up down switch on the other end and have fun..

Don Johnson, the original and his antenna..the best!!

WR0F Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2004 15:44 Send this review to a friend
DK3 6-80 Meter mobile antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased my 1st DK3 mobile antenna about 4 months ago. RUN AS MANY GROUNDS AS POSSIBLE! THE MORE THE BETTER IT PERFORMS. This antenna for less than 200.00 delivered is well worth the expense. I run only 100 watts mobile and have broken pileups worldwide with it. I have been ???? if I was actually running mobile so a beep of the horn solved that issue.
I operate 6-80 meters and its easy to install and even can be quickly removed with its quick release base. By the way we just ordered our 2nd 1 last night and it has already been shipepd via priority mail insured.
Cost 175.00 + shipping cost

N5PHT Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2004 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with the others. This is a solid built antenna. It is somewhat of a kit - as it states in the manual. You need to supply wire, mounting, etc. But the price is outstanding and I like the results. Be prepared to spend a little time getting set up. I use an SWR Analyzer with an A/B antenna switch and that works great from inside my Ford Ranger cab. I mounted it in the bed of my truck and the only problem seems to be 6, 10 and 12 meters. But, with a shorter whip those bands would probably be fine too. I made my first every qso on 60 meters with this screwdriver antenna. Tuning is quite easy and I have no problem returning to the right spot for the band I am using. Good job!

SM0TSC Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2004 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Great bang for the buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have just done some initial testing on a small wodden pole with 8 pcs of 10 feet radials. Will conduct some more testing when I can mount it on my balcony. Will also test mobile of course. But my prime use will be as a stealth HF antenna. Only QSO´s I have done so far was on 17m but it tunes 3.5-30 MHz without any problems. This screwdriver is to my knowledge the best price/perfomance antenna you can get

//SM0TSC