Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Bulldog BD5-817, Help

Reviews Summary for Bulldog BD5-817,
Bulldog BD5-817, Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $27,95
Description: A mini key for FT-817ND...
More info: http://www.amateurradioproducts.com/bd3817.html

You can write your own review of the Bulldog BD5-817,.

K7EXJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2017 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't think these are "in production" any longer. Which explains why all the reviews are years old.

I have a Bulldog paddle I got off eBay for $25 and it is surprisingly good for such a simple device. It's not adjustable or anything but feels right to me... and after 60 years of CW I've pushed a lot of keys around.

If you can find one, buy it. I keep mine in a little Tupperware box and use it with my Elecraft K1 and K2. But now that I have a KX3 (with paddle) I find myself using that more. Still, I'm keeping it. Someone should start producing them again.

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2016 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I needed a specialized key for my field work, and this one fit the bill! I've dropped it in the mud, washed it off in a stream, and it kept on working. Highly recommended!

AA7BI Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2016 09:56 Send this review to a friend
TINY, BUT WORKS GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I store mine in a pill bottle, cable and all, until needed. Mine is magnetically mounted on the upper right surface of my HB1B. It's made out of a bulldog paper clip. Kudos to the nice guy who makes these and ships them out so quickly. Simple, cheap and can easily be adjusted. Great for a go-kit or QRP moutain-topping! Highly recommended...

NB1R Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2011 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Great value, great accessory for the FT817  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned the Bulldog BD5-817 only a few days but I'm very impressed. The intricate workmanship is excellent. Realizing that it doesn't have the same features as a full size set of desk top paddles, it does what it was designed to do very well. I spent most of my July 4th working QRP at 12 WPM off my back deck with the FT817nd and these paddles. They do what they claim to do. I also want to say that the brass buttons and mounting bracket look very smart attached to the FT817.
I don't think you can go wrong with these, particularly for the price.
72 de NB1R - James

F5NZY Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2007 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Great for pedestrian mobile...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all, the BD5-817 now replaces de BD3-817.

For last Christmas, my wife offered me the FT-817ND, with YF-122C, a Walkabout antenna (80-6m) and some accessories.

I am using the FT-817ND for pedestrian mobile and I was looking for a very small key to use in such particular conditions.

I discovered on the excellent G4ILO web site (http://www.g4ilo.com/ft817.html)the bulldog keys.

I gave a phone call to Louis, K9LU, which is very friendly and helpful.

I ordered the BD5-817 and the BD2 (on magnet base).

I am in Paris, France, and received the very well packaged box in 7 days (by air mail).

I mounted the key as soon as I received it, on the TRX and give a try at 30, 35, & 40 wpm.

To be honest, I am very surprise, but the key is very smooth and very pleasant to use even at good speed.

This Bulldog BD5-817 is perfect for my pedestrian mobile, way to use my FT-817ND, with walkabout antenna and internal battery.

For the convenience, the price, and the friendly K9LU, I highly recommand the BD5-817, from Amateur Radio Product (http://www.amateurradioproducts.com/)

See you next week-end from my beloved Normandy, by the sea / pedestrian mobile...

73/72 de Steph, F5NZY