Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | VizKey Vertical Bug Help

Reviews Summary for VizKey Vertical Bug
VizKey Vertical Bug Reviews: 26 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $245
Description: The VIZ Vertical
This amazing key features all brass construction, plastic finger pieces, silver contacts and stainless steel main springs. Speed is adjustable from about 8 wpm to about 30 wpm by sliding weight.
More info: http://vizkey.com/index.html

You can write your own review of the VizKey Vertical Bug.

K3TIM Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2014 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an easy to use bug and one can learn to send excellent CW with it. The dot weight is perfect. Key is good at slow and high speeds.
Design and build quality are good.
Tom is great guy to deal with.

WB0WLS Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2013 18:56 Send this review to a friend
So easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't say anything new that hasn't a already been said in all the previous reviews. The vertical is not only fun but easy to use. Easy to adjust, slow speed to faster without any other adjustments. I knew I would like the bug before I ever ordered it.
5/5 plus

DL2KMA Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2013 02:39 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recived the Vertical Bug and I have to say I like it very much. It has a speed range from about 8 WPM to 30 WPM and works very precise. It is much more easy to use than a Vibroplex Bug and is also very smooth. With my older Vibroplex I had the problem, that it made sometimes a additional dit, where it shouldn't have made one. With the Viz Vertical this is over. It does exactly what it should do.

---Great Bug----

Tom made also for me an additional weight whitout extra costs and also answeared to my questions via email. So I have also to say that his service is very good.

I highly recoment his Vertical for anyone, who wants to buy a new bug.

WL7B Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2013 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Nice Job  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I always wanted to try one so I bought one used. Works very well for me, so well I put my trusty Vibroplex on the shelf. I like the VizKey because I can slow it way down for slower operators. Being a retired machinist the work is A+ the only thing that I would like to see on mine is a second hole for the pendulum stop screw and a longer pendulum shaft so I can adjust the weight to send even slower.

K1EDG Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2013 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Super BUG!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Now that I have had My VizBug Vertical for a while I have suddenly realized it is now the bug I use 90% of the time. It is very smooth, easy to adjust and stays adjusted. You can slow it down with out adding weights to work slower stations. I was a little concerned that due to the vertical design it would move around but it is rock solid, quitter than my other Bugs and uses less desk space.

VA7VV Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2013 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Vertical is a visual thing of beauty -- a real treasure! I have been using a bug for 62 years, and across the many bugs I have owned and still own, the VizKey produces the cleanest dots I have ever heard from a totally mechanical keying device. It is in a word, superb.

The speed range is likewise excellent. In the past I have had a slow bug and a fast bug in parallel. When the VizKey Vertical is at it's slowest, it is slower and cleaner than any bug I've ever used. This should make it a natural for those wishing to learn to use a bug. When set at its fastest, it's a bit faster than I am able to send at age 75. At my usual operational speeds 20-35 wpm, it makes beautiful music.

It is physically very stable in the upright position, even with a somewhat heavy hand (something I was worried about). The action is very smooth and easy, and I only made very small adjustments from the way you set it up.

In all, the Vertical has exceeded my expectations in every way, and my Blue Racer and 1926 Champion are headed to the display case.

Great bug, great service,
Jerome - VA7VV
Vancouver

K0TCH Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2013 13:46 Send this review to a friend
This is EXCELLENCE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my Vertical bug for Tom and as soon as I got it out of the box I stopped and called Tom to tell him what a beautiful bug this is. Unfortunately for Tom this must be the best kept secret around because I found him by accident. Right out of the box the bug was ready to go to work and after a couple of fine adjustments everything is FB. What a piece of art, this is my first vertical bug. This will be a keeper for sure. Thanks Tom and keep up the great workmanship. If you have never seen a vertical in action go to Tom's website and look at the video's .
73 n0yg
Robert

WB2LQF Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Underrated, Undiscovered...or Both!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second VIZ Vertical. I did a previous review on 02/27/2011 but that will probably disappear when this one goes up. I loved that bug dearly but a good ham friend loved it too and in a moment of weakness I let it go! I was *not* sorry than I helped a budding CW enthusiast but I *was* sorry that I no longer had a vertical bug in my shack. Problem easily solved -- just order another one. While the stock base is plenty heavy enough for 99% of the CW Ops out there, I am a violent whacker so I asked Tom if he could shore up the foundation for me. I also asked him if he could install a cable keeper since I am a Type A/anal retentive/obsessive-compulsive neatness freak. The key arrived today in perfect shape. As usual, I truly enjoyed the unwrapping process ;) It's remarkably beautiful and the massive base is exactly what I envisioned. Tom did a great job of translating my desires into reality. The VIZ Vertical is smooth as can be. I remember that my previous VIZ Vertical provided very smooth transitions between the dits and the dahs and this new one is true to the heritage! The keeper Tom put on the backside for me is a winner and he ought to equip all the vertical bugs with this simple but eminently practical feature. According to my Begali CW Machine I'm sending perfect bug code right out of the box but I think I'll just make a minor adjustment to increase the spring pressure for the dah contact and then I'm off to the races! My Christmas seems to have arrived a bit early this year! Straight keys are historic; paddles are efficient...but there's nothing like a good bug! Thanks, Tom!!!!

W2TAC Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2012 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Magnificent Workmanship!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Early in my career, I worked as an electronics technician for a defense contractor. I was always impressed with the brass devices created by the Machine Shop. My new VIZ Vertical reminds me of that craftsmanship. It is a beauty simply to behold. However, it was a YouTube video "Slow Speed Bug Demo - VIZKEYs and Vibroplex" by WB2LQF, that convinced me this was one to add to the bullpen. As his video demonstrated, the VIZ Vertical can go down much further in speed than other bugs and yet sound great. While I primarily use a paddle, I occasionally like to use a straight key or a bug -- but my Vibroplex Original Standard bug will not go down in speed anything like the VIZ Vertical. It's fun to operate and easy to adjust speeds. See my QRZ page for a photo of it.

Tom (K4VIZ) provides terrific response... communicating with you from order through delivery and follow-up. He packages the unit flawlessly and sends via priority mail. I had the key several days after ordering.

I'm a delighted customer!
Bob - W2TAC

K4YXJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2012 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got back into ham radio after an absence of 17 years. I'm left handed so I ordered the left handed model. Tom made the adjustments and promptly shipped it out to me. When I tried it out, I realized that I had forgotted that I used my right hand on a bug. I asked Tom if there was a simple modification that I could perform. He explained that it was quite complex and takes some time to change it back. I was glad to send the bug back to him plus 30 dollars for his time plus the return shipping cost. When he received it, he replied that he would sell the one that I returned in some manner and, since he was sure that I was anxious to use the key, he would ship me a new one, which he did. Thanks, Tom.