Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | VizKey Vertical Bug Help

Reviews Summary for VizKey Vertical Bug
VizKey Vertical Bug Reviews: 26 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $245
Description: The VIZ Vertical
This amazing key features all brass construction, plastic finger pieces, silver contacts and stainless steel main springs. Speed is adjustable from about 8 wpm to about 30 wpm by sliding weight.
More info: http://vizkey.com/index.html

You can write your own review of the VizKey Vertical Bug.

WB0TUA Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2009 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Bug, Great Value Too  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First, let me say that I am a heavy bug user. I don't have a set of paddles hooked up to either my radios or my landline telegraph equipment. I use a bug for both. In addition, I am a long time collector of mechanical bug keys and have over 200 of them. I have been using bugs exclusively for over 15 years so I feel as though I can bring a lot of experience to a review. In short, Tom has produced a wonderful mechanical bug key.

I first saw Tom's vertical bug at a local meeting of our Morse Telegraph Club. One of our other members had bought one and brought it to the meeting. I was skeptical at first but tried it anyway and was very impressed with the workmaship. A few weeks later, I ordered my own VizKey vertical bug and have been using it ever since.

Tom has improved the traditional design of the Vertical bug that was offered by Vibroplex in the 1920s and also the Vertical Bug that was sold by John Merrick in Canada. Both of those other bugs used the "Model X" style contact arrangement that was double-sided. Very complicated and didn't work very well in practice. Tom's Vertical Viz bug has separate dot and dash contacts just like most other bugs and you can immediately feel the improvement.

I highly recommend this Vertical Bug for anyone interested in using a mechanical key. It really is a pleasure to send code with it!

KG4W Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2008 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been using the VizVertical Bug now for a few weeks & I love the key. Ordering, shipping & packaging from Tom was 1st class. The Viz vertical takes up less space than a conventional bug. The unit is very well constructed & adjustments are easily made. I have had several favorable "on the air" comments regarding the unit.

KSAVES2 Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2008 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I liked the right angle bug so much, I invested in the vertical. Love it too! Has a different feel to it but just as pleasant to operate.
Get these while you can!
Not as loud as a Vibroplex but I enjoy that one too. (More old timey)
I highly recommend the VizKey and I still consider it a bargain at this price. I suspect over time, it will appreciate in value in the Ham community. Kurt KC9LDH

WU7R Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2007 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Bug  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very pleased with my verticle bug from VizKey. It is very stable and controllable--unlike some others I have tried. The workmanship is superb, and I would recommend this key as a good investment for anyone interested in using and perfecting CW made by mechanical means. It is truly a high quality instrument deserving of a 5 rating.

W9AC Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2007 13:05 Send this review to a friend
The new "Wire Chief."  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was pleased with my purchase of Tom's right-angle bug so I decided to try his rendition of the "Wire Chief," a key produced by the world's most popular telegraph key manufacturer back in in 1918.

The key has a wide range of adjustment, allowing for slow or fast speeds. This is a heavy key that takes up very little desk space and was the overarching design of the original Wire Chief model.

Excellent construction quality and finish. It's a 5.

K0JQZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2007 05:53 Send this review to a friend
Great bug fro slow and fast speeds  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a bug that I could slow down to get in the swing of a mechanical key again and the VizKey Vertical fits the bill. I had it adjusted and on the air in no time. It is very easy to control and very easy to adjust at a slower speed. Speed adjustments are made by sliding the weight up and down with minor adjustments to the contacts. I highly recommend this key for someone who wants something different and easy to use. I also got the paddles and will post a review when I try them.