Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | B-Square Engineering 6 Meter Ground Plane Help

Reviews Summary for B-Square Engineering 6 Meter Ground Plane
B-Square Engineering 6 Meter Ground Plane Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$59.95 + S&H
Description: Stainless steel 6 meter ground plane. The groundplane antenna has been a workhorse on many frequency bands for decades. Now B-Square Engineering takes this traditional design and makes available a sturdy, effective vertical ground plane antenna, designed for long life and excellent communications capability. And at a price unmatched in its class!
More info: http://www.b-squareengineering.com/6MGroundPlane.htm

You can write your own review of the B-Square Engineering 6 Meter Ground Plane.

W7JET Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2012 08:07 Send this review to a friend
6 Meter Newbee  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Let me start by saying I am new to 6 meters so I wanted to get my feet wet without spending a lot of money but have something that would work until I decided a beam was warranted. I purchased this antenna as an in-between till that happened. I received the antenna and put it together it took less than 10 min to assemble the SWR was flat when tested on the view deck floor. I decided I would just connect some RG8X I had stand it on the radials on the view deck in the back of the house till I could mount it properly. I went inside fired up my Kenwood 480sat and WOW. My first 6m contact was Texas EM00 from AZ DM43 then I was able to get Montana DN27 and Iowa EN32. The Montana station could not believe I was on a ground plane. The band was up and down so according the stations I was going from a 5/1 to 5/8 and the same was happening on my end. I can't wait now to get the antenna mounted properly and see what kind of results I get. I am very impressed with this antenna and would recommend it anyone.

I will update the review after I have it up on a pole and have some more contacts under my belt on the magic band.

N7RPR Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2008 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Beefy antenna will last a lifetime!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Solid construction, durable materials and broadband operation. The antenna is flat for the SSB portion of the band and is flat for the FM portion as well. I also have a PAR Omniangle but it is very narrow bandwidth and horizontally polarized. Will be using the B-Square antenna from now on and will give it a good workout this weekend in the 6M contest.

N4KC Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2007 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Scared me at first, but...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Several months ago, I mounted mine on a 10-foot piece of conduit strapped to the chimney enclosure, only about 20 feet off the ground and 10 feet above the roof. And I fed it with 100 feet of cheap RG-8X, the only thing I had handy that I wanted to dedicate to this sometimes-on/sometimes-off band. First I checked the SWR and it was almost flat up to 51 mHz and only trailed off slowly above there. Cool. I won't even have to use my internal tuner in the rig and I won't be losing RF as it surges up and down the lossy feedline as reflected waves. Sometimes resonance is a good thing.

Then I dialed up a local low-powered beacon that I always hear 579 on my big loop and G5RV (neither of which loads on 6). It was almost inaudible! Uh oh. Either this aerial is a dud or that long run of RG-8X is killing me!

But there is so little local groundwave activity and no repeaters around that I decided not to panic and to wait for an opening, just to see. I like the B-Square dual-band j-pole, so I didn't want to give up so easily on this product. I also learned that the beacon's antenna is horizontally polarized, so that explained the difference.

Then finally, last Wednesday, I noticed some 50-mHz spots on the DX cluster so I punched up 6 meters. There, about 50.1, was a very strong CW signal. I flipped to the loop and then the G5RV and it disappeared completely on each. Back to the B-Square and it was strong, strong again. VP5/PY2XB, Turks/Caicos Islands, calling CQ. I answered and he came right back with a 589 report.

I hate anecdotal evidence of an antenna's performance, and especially based on only one contact, but this was my first 6-meter QSO in over 40 years, and it's to grid square FL13 from EM63! Oh, the antenna went up very easily and the stainless steel construction is solid as can be. The low SWR range is to promised spec. No, you don't need twelve elements at 100 feet to do well with 6-meter openings, but this antenna seems to be a good choice for a simple, omni-directional radiator that gets you on the air on a band that can be as much fun as any when it's hopping. Another good product from the guys in Jackson, Mississippi.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com

K5AGO Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2007 23:37 Send this review to a friend
Solid Construction !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This 6 meter ground plane antenna is made out of solid stainless steel. Assembly time is 10 minutes or less. Installation is just as simple using the universal mount that allows the antenna to be secured to the mast (or just about anything else) using common automotive radiator hose clamps. Judging from the care taken in the construction of this antenna, I expect decades of service.