Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate Help

Reviews Summary for W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate
W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate Reviews: 195 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $249.99 assembled or 204.99 kit
Description: 8 band equalizer and noise gate
More info: http://www.w2ihy.com

You can write your own review of the W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate.

WB4YAL Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2014 07:07 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT S E R V I C E!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate a couple of months ago. The first unit had some problems and Julius worked diligently with me to troubleshoot the problem. When its was established that the unit was probably defective, Julius sent out a new unit. When the new unit arrived, he helped me get this unit setup perfectly. I have nothing but praise to give to Julius and to his fine product. On the air reports of my audio have been stellar and I would recommend this product wholeheartedly!

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2014 17:02 Send this review to a friend
10+++++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The owner of this company, had 30+ years at IBM, and therefore, knows something about professional service.

There has to be a number 1 in customer service, and no questioned, an absolute fact, W2IHY is this place holder. I have large quantity of various products from Ham manufactures, and W2IHY service is in a total different class not even in the same category.

Besides Julius’s (CEO for W2IHY), integrity, morals, business ethics, he has the formal training on the essence of customer support, which came from his 30+ years at IBM.

The term professional is used way to often, especially in the Ham community, however, this word is reserved for Julius (The CEO for W2IHY).

Yes indeed the product is outstanding, anyone who has ever heard the W2IHY units, (8 Band Equalizer, and EQPlus) knows the product works well. I believe no one would purchase the product unless you heard the Audio on the air. Literally the product speaks for itself. My on the air reports, is (Outstanding Audio), but we all know this to be a fact..

Let me explain what real professional service, in which I received from Julius.

I had a problem with RF Feedback, (Had nothing to do with W2IHY products). I had this problem before purchasing the 8 Band Equalizer, and EQPlus)

The CEO of the company (Julius) had spent without any embellishing, or exaggeration, every day for over 12 days. He would spend time in the morning and again in late afternoon. He would send special cables, capacitors, other MIC’s on a daily basis without charge. For the record he sent 5 different times (Over night delivery) with special products for my RF feedback problem. Let me repeat this.. The RF Feedback had nothing to do with his product, as of a matter of fact while trouble shooting my RF Feedback problem, the W2IHY product was not even in line.

For the record the problem was I had a hail storm here in Dallas several weeks ago, in which two of my antennas got destroyed, and since I had a Christmas Tree set up the antennas started to interact with each other and causing RF feedback..

Solution.. In line Balun, Capacitors across the DC power supply (.0.1uf), a special cable for Heil MIC which grounds the MIC to ground, in line chokes, and a host of others solutions!

Julius…Trouble shot this problem, over the phone…

After the problem was resolved, he then instructed me to put his products in line (8 Band Equalizer and EQPlus)…Julius again, spent another day or two to adjust the audio to my particular voice pattern, and result in perfection of audio.

Julius did not charge me one penny for all his consultancy!

The best customer service I have ever seen in my 38 career in Telecommunications & Satellite communications, and traveling in 69 countries.

Congratulations, Julius, on a fantastic product, and yes, number one customer support I have ever witnessed.

NN2X, Tom Wright

K8NDS Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2014 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Great product/Superb service   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had an issue which ended up being due to a Heil cable issue with poor grounding technique. Julius is a great guy for standing behind his products. He spent considerable time with me on the phone while we analyzed the problem. He sent several cables ASAP.
I then fixed the issue in just a few minutes, sent the rest of the cables back. I will always recommend a vendor that treats his customers this way. I find so many of them will flat out lie and try to blame the customer. If your looking for audio accessories buy from Julius, he is a great guy. My equalizer works exactly like it should.

M0BJL Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2014 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Product, Amazing Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not going to write a long, comprehensive report as I would only be repeating what other reviews have stated.
In a nutshell it's a superb piece of kit.

What I would like to mention however is the service that Julius, W2IHY provides. I had one or two questions regarding the setting up of the 8 band equaliser and the EQPlus that I also purchased. I emailed Julius and within 5 minutes i received an unannounced telephone call from him offering his assistance. You simply don't get service like that, especially here in the UK anymore.
Thank you Julius, not only for a wonderful product but also for your invaluable service.
A++++ in my book!

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2014 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Va3mlv  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had it for a few weeks now but it's a great add on external unit for any amateur radio station. Purchased from the main man him self MR. Julius Jones W2IHY which everyone cant stop complimenting enough about. Great Services from orders to packaging & shipping.I can also be another to comment on how he went over & beyond to make another satisfied customer. He was great, lets just keep it as that.W2IHY units ate Constructed for amateur use, built by an amateur radio operator , assembled with quality & specific components to prevent RFI. Three different mic conecctions , ready for any yaesu , icom , kenwood transciever. Two Transciever conecction capability. Supplies voltage to every mic connection being used. Amplified audio monitor to monitor your audio setting changes but better to monitor your audio on a seperate reciever or transciever, better to hear the final audio once passed throughout the Transciever / antenna. Built in mic pre amp for balanced input & output. Versatility is broad with the 8 band graphic EQ & noise gate is a bonus for any amateur radio room. Just look it up at W2IHY Technologies. Presently using this specific unit with a Yaesu MD100A8X desktop mic & Yaesu FT990AC with Ameritron AL811A. After a bit of tweaking everything to the point where all is at proper levels, " mic in - mic out , ALC on Transciever so on & so on " it becomes a unit that's powered on everytime the Transciever is powered on. 73

KE3VG Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2013 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using W2IHY’s 8-Band Equalizer and EQPlus for more than 6 month now so I have gain enough experience to write this review. So far here are my observations and opinion.
Pros:
- Does make a big difference in the transmit Audio Quality, it does not matter which radio or microphone, or RF power you are using. Per my experience, I have broken so many DX pileups, running vertical antenna, 100 watts of RF and W2IHY gears. I have been told numerous times by the DX stations, they heard me with my S4 or S5 signal, despite the presence of other S9+ signals, because of the audio modulation quality of my signals.This proves that the 8 band Equalizer and EQ plus is making a big difference in how you being heard by DX station. I have DX stations call me to find out what type of equipment I am using, especially audio equipment. Also, it is funny that they call me and ask about their audio quality because they think that I am an audio expert because of my transmit signal audio quality, which I am not.
- It accepts all types of microphones, Dynamic and Cordial, provides phantom power as needed.
- It does support all type of built in microphone plugs from all major brand of Radio available in market
- It provides the sets of options; i.e. Equalizer, Processor, Noise Gate, radio switching, microphone switching, etc. Especially I seat so close to AC in basement, the noise gate is big help to remove all the noise caused by air handler.
- Best of all: Julius Jones, the owner of W2IHY gears, provides the best service in the Amateur radio market, in fact best of any market. I my case, he have assisted me several times to decide on what type of gears I need, what setting needs to be adjusted with different radios and microphones, even assist me on air to adjust my gears for best possible sounding station. I would buy any product from Julius without thinking twice.
Cons:
- 8 band equalizer and EQPlus are not rack mountable. So it does take extra space on desk. Since you adjust it one time and forget it, I would like to have it rack mountable. Being on desk, it is possible to accidentally hit the controls and change happens without your knowledge.
- Same with foot print of the gears, I like to have a smaller foot print equalizer and processor available for my mobile setup. The existing gears are too big in my opinion.
Summary: Overall, I am very happy customer of W2IHY gears; it has a great quality and the best customer service available in market. I have changed several radios and antennas over the years but one thing will always stay in my shack is W2IHY gears.
In case you are wondering what I use, here is my equipment list. Yeasu FT 1000 MP, Ftdx 5000 MP, StepIr’s Big IR vertical antenna. W2ITHY 8 band Equalizer + EQPlus, RODE Procaster microphone, HEIL PR-781 Microphone. If you ever need more details on W2IHY gears, please feel free to contact me via email.
I am giving 5 out of 5 to W2IHY product review.

WC3W Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 06:55 Send this review to a friend
This is one of the best investments I have made in many years.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dear Fellow Ham Radio Operators-I attended the Orlando Hamfest and bumped into Julius, W2IHY for a very short period of time as we were about to return back to South Florida QTH. As I had made many purchases already, I decided to wait in purchasing the EQplus and 8 band equializer. I own a Yeasu DX-5000 and employ a QRO linear amplifier in my shack. The DX-5000 has some nice audio internals. Howerver, upon returning home, I decided what the heck, I only live once so I ordered both the EQplus and 8 band equalizer. A good friend of mine had mentioned to me in Orlando what a great "reputation" Julius had in supporting his products. Well, I am here to tell you that his support in helping me set this equipment up is probably the best customer service I have experienced my entire ham career which has been many, many years (liscenced in 1960). The documentation was outstanding but even with it, I had a number of questions. I called Julius on the land line, and he walked me through the initial set up. I had some issues on the rear audio input on my DX-5000, and he sent me an audio cable that would allow me to use my newly purchased Heil PA-40 directly into the front plug on the DX-5000. This is the amazing part--after we set it up, he asked me to get on 20 meters and on two separate occasions, with telephone in hand, and rig tuned to 14.170, I tested, he recorded, he analyzed on his Flex 5000, he instructed me to change many settings, he played back my audio (over the telephone), and we iterated until all the setting were perfect for integration of my Heil mike, my voice, my DX-5000! My audio now as reported by local hams is simply amazing and I am sure it will help me in the difficult DX pileups! If you would like to contact me for further details, please do so on QRZ.com and my email address. Again, this is customer service at it's very best--I love the product as well! It is the best investment I have made in a long time! Good DX'ing 73 Mark WC3W

N4JBK Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2013 19:38 Send this review to a friend
None like it Julius puts it over the top  Time owned: more than 12 months
The W2IHY product line is great by itself but when it is coupled with a man like Julius running the show it makes for a unbeatable package. Julius defines customer service and being what I know a gentleman is. If he ever decides to go into any other line of radio gear it is game over for his "competition".

DL7ISA Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2012 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
With this Equalizer I add Bass and Treble to my Audio to sound well balanced and the Reports I get are accordingly. I switched on and off the EQ during my Transmissions, without the EQ nobody likes my Modulation. For that Reason I consider this Equalizer indispensable for me. My Mic is a Behringer B-2Pro, the Transceiver is an Icom IC-765. Usualy I get Reports that I sound smooth and comfortable to hear, due to this Equalizer.

The Noise Gate works great, very fine Adjustment for my Environment possible.

The only Reason why I dont rate it 5 is, the Mic in and Mic Out Volume Controls are below the Device and make it neccesary to flipp up and down the Device for Audio Adjustments, I find that ANNOYING.

I can connect all sorts of Mics now and the Headphone out Signal to my Computer, that Versatility is very fancy !

If W2IHY builds a new Version of this EQ with the Mic in and Mic Out Volume Controls on Top, I would buy it again.

K6SPY Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2012 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Great product!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like a lot of hams, I followed Bob Heil's advice from Ham Radio Nation (video 36 ) for audio chain improvements. I first picked up the Heil iCM mic for an older Icom rig. It helped quite a bit, but in the video Bob recommended adding a mixer for more output. So I picked up the Alesis Multimix8 mixer, which helped drive and shape the audio with a 4 band EQ. But the aduio was still not anywhere near what I was looking for.

I also added the W2IHY iBox which worked very well.

Then I picked up the W2IHY 8-band EQ and noise gate. That gave the audio much more punch and incredible sound. The noise gate also works very well.

I am so impressed with the W2IHY products I've tried, I just bought an EQ Plus. I'm now looking for the iPlus and I will eventually buy the coax switching box.

Keep up the great work Julius! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.