Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate Help

Reviews Summary for W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate
W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate Reviews: 198 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $249.99 assembled or 204.99 kit
Description: 8 band equalizer and noise gate
More info: http://www.w2ihy.com

You can write your own review of the W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2015 19:41 Send this review to a friend
5++++  Time owned: more than 12 months
W2IHY 8 Band EQ / Noise Gate is a great addition to any station , currently in line with Yaesu MD-100 desk top microphone to Yaesu FTDX 3000D & Yaesu FT 990AC transceivers. Noise Gate works good & the EQ is nice. Was used on the FT990/ MD-100 mic & SB1000 linear always on 80m delta loop for a long while. Setting adjustments are easy & effective. For FTDX 3000 its at same settings as FT990. It's nice to use even just with 100W on transceiver as it has mic in & mic out underneath the unit so adjusted properly will increasing the audio presence. Overall I always use it on the two transceivers I mentioned.

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2015 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to any station  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Met Julius a few years ago and always wanted one; saw it used on QRZ.com. I had a few problems and Julius offered "if we can't find the problem send it back and I will look at it for free". Ended up being a cable/grounding issue which he replaced.

My FT1000 MkV has always gotten audio compliments but since adding the W2IHY 8-band have heard "FM-quality" become the norm. Set it and forget it, use it on any rig.

You cannot go wrong with the unit or service/owner. If you have ever thought of buying one do not wait any longer, I wish I would have 5 years ago.

Chris WO8USA

N6NBV Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2015 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Great for Accurate Modulation !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have two complete units, EQ Plus & 8 Band EQ/ Noise Gate. (one for the main shack & another for "Studio G")
I orignially had the need for the "limiter" for the EF Johnson Desk KW and wound up getting the complete system. The 8 Band EQ was modified for AM operation appropriate for my stations. Three capacitors were changed allow AM bandwidths of 10KHz. I have received nothing but excellent reports from many AM operators !!

KC8GL Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2014 13:36 Send this review to a friend
You can NOT beat this product or the service ANYWHERE!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this 8 band graphic EQ to bring out the best in my Electro-Voice RE20. First of all, great product, simple hookup. - Julius, CEO of W2IHY contacted me directly to fine tune the settings. The EQ sounds fantastic and really allows all the audio that is me to reach the air. Robust, clear, crisp, intelligible audio; great for DX and the ragchew. If you want to bring out all your rig has to offer, buy this EQ; no matter what you think about your onboard adjustable audio settings/abilities. - You won't be disappointed.

Pros: As stated above

Cons: There aren't any. I truly wish all vendors were of this caliber.

WB4YAL Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2014 07:07 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT S E R V I C E!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate a couple of months ago. The first unit had some problems and Julius worked diligently with me to troubleshoot the problem. When its was established that the unit was probably defective, Julius sent out a new unit. When the new unit arrived, he helped me get this unit setup perfectly. I have nothing but praise to give to Julius and to his fine product. On the air reports of my audio have been stellar and I would recommend this product wholeheartedly!

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2014 17:02 Send this review to a friend
10+++++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The owner of this company, had 30+ years at IBM, and therefore, knows something about professional service.

There has to be a number 1 in customer service, and no questioned, an absolute fact, W2IHY is this place holder. I have large quantity of various products from Ham manufactures, and W2IHY service is in a total different class not even in the same category.

Besides Julius’s (CEO for W2IHY), integrity, morals, business ethics, he has the formal training on the essence of customer support, which came from his 30+ years at IBM.

The term professional is used way to often, especially in the Ham community, however, this word is reserved for Julius (The CEO for W2IHY).

Yes indeed the product is outstanding, anyone who has ever heard the W2IHY units, (8 Band Equalizer, and EQPlus) knows the product works well. I believe no one would purchase the product unless you heard the Audio on the air. Literally the product speaks for itself. My on the air reports, is (Outstanding Audio), but we all know this to be a fact..

Let me explain what real professional service, in which I received from Julius.

I had a problem with RF Feedback, (Had nothing to do with W2IHY products). I had this problem before purchasing the 8 Band Equalizer, and EQPlus)

The CEO of the company (Julius) had spent without any embellishing, or exaggeration, every day for over 12 days. He would spend time in the morning and again in late afternoon. He would send special cables, capacitors, other MIC’s on a daily basis without charge. For the record he sent 5 different times (Over night delivery) with special products for my RF feedback problem. Let me repeat this.. The RF Feedback had nothing to do with his product, as of a matter of fact while trouble shooting my RF Feedback problem, the W2IHY product was not even in line.

For the record the problem was I had a hail storm here in Dallas several weeks ago, in which two of my antennas got destroyed, and since I had a Christmas Tree set up the antennas started to interact with each other and causing RF feedback..

Solution.. In line Balun, Capacitors across the DC power supply (.0.1uf), a special cable for Heil MIC which grounds the MIC to ground, in line chokes, and a host of others solutions!

Julius…Trouble shot this problem, over the phone…

After the problem was resolved, he then instructed me to put his products in line (8 Band Equalizer and EQPlus)…Julius again, spent another day or two to adjust the audio to my particular voice pattern, and result in perfection of audio.

Julius did not charge me one penny for all his consultancy!

The best customer service I have ever seen in my 38 career in Telecommunications & Satellite communications, and traveling in 69 countries.

Congratulations, Julius, on a fantastic product, and yes, number one customer support I have ever witnessed.

NN2X, Tom Wright

K8NDS Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2014 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Great product/Superb service   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had an issue which ended up being due to a Heil cable issue with poor grounding technique. Julius is a great guy for standing behind his products. He spent considerable time with me on the phone while we analyzed the problem. He sent several cables ASAP.
I then fixed the issue in just a few minutes, sent the rest of the cables back. I will always recommend a vendor that treats his customers this way. I find so many of them will flat out lie and try to blame the customer. If your looking for audio accessories buy from Julius, he is a great guy. My equalizer works exactly like it should.

M0BJL Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2014 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Product, Amazing Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not going to write a long, comprehensive report as I would only be repeating what other reviews have stated.
In a nutshell it's a superb piece of kit.

What I would like to mention however is the service that Julius, W2IHY provides. I had one or two questions regarding the setting up of the 8 band equaliser and the EQPlus that I also purchased. I emailed Julius and within 5 minutes i received an unannounced telephone call from him offering his assistance. You simply don't get service like that, especially here in the UK anymore.
Thank you Julius, not only for a wonderful product but also for your invaluable service.
A++++ in my book!

KE3VG Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2013 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using W2IHY’s 8-Band Equalizer and EQPlus for more than 6 month now so I have gain enough experience to write this review. So far here are my observations and opinion.
Pros:
- Does make a big difference in the transmit Audio Quality, it does not matter which radio or microphone, or RF power you are using. Per my experience, I have broken so many DX pileups, running vertical antenna, 100 watts of RF and W2IHY gears. I have been told numerous times by the DX stations, they heard me with my S4 or S5 signal, despite the presence of other S9+ signals, because of the audio modulation quality of my signals.This proves that the 8 band Equalizer and EQ plus is making a big difference in how you being heard by DX station. I have DX stations call me to find out what type of equipment I am using, especially audio equipment. Also, it is funny that they call me and ask about their audio quality because they think that I am an audio expert because of my transmit signal audio quality, which I am not.
- It accepts all types of microphones, Dynamic and Cordial, provides phantom power as needed.
- It does support all type of built in microphone plugs from all major brand of Radio available in market
- It provides the sets of options; i.e. Equalizer, Processor, Noise Gate, radio switching, microphone switching, etc. Especially I seat so close to AC in basement, the noise gate is big help to remove all the noise caused by air handler.
- Best of all: Julius Jones, the owner of W2IHY gears, provides the best service in the Amateur radio market, in fact best of any market. I my case, he have assisted me several times to decide on what type of gears I need, what setting needs to be adjusted with different radios and microphones, even assist me on air to adjust my gears for best possible sounding station. I would buy any product from Julius without thinking twice.
Cons:
- 8 band equalizer and EQPlus are not rack mountable. So it does take extra space on desk. Since you adjust it one time and forget it, I would like to have it rack mountable. Being on desk, it is possible to accidentally hit the controls and change happens without your knowledge.
- Same with foot print of the gears, I like to have a smaller foot print equalizer and processor available for my mobile setup. The existing gears are too big in my opinion.
Summary: Overall, I am very happy customer of W2IHY gears; it has a great quality and the best customer service available in market. I have changed several radios and antennas over the years but one thing will always stay in my shack is W2IHY gears.
In case you are wondering what I use, here is my equipment list. Yeasu FT 1000 MP, Ftdx 5000 MP, StepIr’s Big IR vertical antenna. W2ITHY 8 band Equalizer + EQPlus, RODE Procaster microphone, HEIL PR-781 Microphone. If you ever need more details on W2IHY gears, please feel free to contact me via email.
I am giving 5 out of 5 to W2IHY product review.

WC3W Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 06:55 Send this review to a friend
This is one of the best investments I have made in many years.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dear Fellow Ham Radio Operators-I attended the Orlando Hamfest and bumped into Julius, W2IHY for a very short period of time as we were about to return back to South Florida QTH. As I had made many purchases already, I decided to wait in purchasing the EQplus and 8 band equializer. I own a Yeasu DX-5000 and employ a QRO linear amplifier in my shack. The DX-5000 has some nice audio internals. Howerver, upon returning home, I decided what the heck, I only live once so I ordered both the EQplus and 8 band equalizer. A good friend of mine had mentioned to me in Orlando what a great "reputation" Julius had in supporting his products. Well, I am here to tell you that his support in helping me set this equipment up is probably the best customer service I have experienced my entire ham career which has been many, many years (liscenced in 1960). The documentation was outstanding but even with it, I had a number of questions. I called Julius on the land line, and he walked me through the initial set up. I had some issues on the rear audio input on my DX-5000, and he sent me an audio cable that would allow me to use my newly purchased Heil PA-40 directly into the front plug on the DX-5000. This is the amazing part--after we set it up, he asked me to get on 20 meters and on two separate occasions, with telephone in hand, and rig tuned to 14.170, I tested, he recorded, he analyzed on his Flex 5000, he instructed me to change many settings, he played back my audio (over the telephone), and we iterated until all the setting were perfect for integration of my Heil mike, my voice, my DX-5000! My audio now as reported by local hams is simply amazing and I am sure it will help me in the difficult DX pileups! If you would like to contact me for further details, please do so on QRZ.com and my email address. Again, this is customer service at it's very best--I love the product as well! It is the best investment I have made in a long time! Good DX'ing 73 Mark WC3W