Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate Help

Reviews Summary for W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate
W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate Reviews: 195 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $249.99 assembled or 204.99 kit
Description: 8 band equalizer and noise gate
More info: http://www.w2ihy.com

You can write your own review of the W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate.

W6QT Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2012 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Noise Gate  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Julius is a pleasure to deal with.

I have a fan and an AC running in the same room as my station and I can effectively block all this room noise with the noise gate.

I wanted to buy an expensive mic to use with this system, but Julius recommended a Radio Shack super-cardioid, Model 3300128. This is a $30 mic, and I can make it sound like anything with this equalizer. The unit is pretty much plug and play and if you're considering buying one it could help you improve your talk power.

WG2Y Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2011 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a problem with a unit that was out of it's warranty. I attempted to fix it and needed some guidance. I e-mailed Julius at 7:30pm. At around 7:50pm my phone rang and it was Julius. He helped me with the problem in a very professional manner.
I have never seen such a rapid response in all of my dealings with Ham equipment problems. BTW the product is fantastic.

N4VBH Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2011 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent accessory!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started out with the 8-band EQ and the EQplus combo, but sent the EQplus back. The 8-band was all I needed (with the rig's built-in compressor). My only complaint is I wish the controls were on the front and not the "top." I can't sit anything on it!

Julius is a pleasure to talk with, as well. 100% behind his products and his customer service is second to none. 5 stars!

K5TGS Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2011 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't Get Better Than This  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great product. I first contacted the firm and we discussed the device and my transceiver. Julius didn't want to sell the EQ until he felt it would provide an improvement. He took the time to dig out the technical data from Icom and then recommended this EQ. After ordering, it arrived in just a few days. The packing was very good and double boxed. The device has a very solid feel and looks very nice in the shack. The improvements to my audio were noted immediately. The manual and set-up were also easy to follow. I will be back later, after a few months, to update this review, but for now what quality and customer service!!

VK3CRG Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2011 04:02 Send this review to a friend
Just Perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was wanting to connect my Kenwood MC-90 Desk Mic (which I use on my Kenwood TS-590s) to my Kenwood TM-D710 2m & 70cm radio.

The stock mic & the way the radio is designed (for mobile use) has the audio good quality, but lacking bass & as stock it really doesn't give a very 'full & rich' sound. Connecting the MC-90 to the TM-D710 directly just sounded terrible. Low audio level, tinny, all highs & no bass whatsoever.

I needed something to match the impedance of the MC-90 & TM-D710. I also needed to be able to give the audio level some oomph and add some bass and be able to tailor the audio to make it sound decent.

I looked around and MFJ make something but it was not exactly given glowing reviews here on E-ham. Then I happened across the W2IHY website from a comment posted here on E-Ham.

Firstly, Julius is an absolute delight to deal with. Can't do enough for his customer, friendly, knows his stuff, and problems - I'm sure he'd do pretty much anything to help.

Secondly, It took 4 days (including a weekend!) for my 8 Band EQ & Noise Gate to arrive from NY USA to me here in Melbourne, Australia. Not bad!

The unit arrives VERY well-packed. If you're in Australia or NZ (or any other 240v country!) the unit comes with a 240v plug pack and even an Australian power plug pin adapter so I could just plug it straight in!

Everything is thought of by Julian to make the customer happy.

And "Happy" I am.

I've just plugged it into the radio, selected "K" (for Kenwood Mic) on the switch on the back of the unit, followed Julian's simple instructions to connect it to my Kenwood TM-D710 radio and have got many unsolicited compliments about my audio on air. Some have said it sounds like 'broadcast quality audio'.

It does take a little fiddling to get it to sound how you want it - but again everyone's voice, mic-radio combination is different.

I just use this box to match the MC-90 to my 2m & 70cm radio and it does a fine job.

I would not hesitate in recommending this product to anyone that wants to improve their audio or use any microphone with any radio. All you need is the correct connecting cable (you order that when you order the 8 band EQ box) and within minutes your up and running.

Well done Julius!

K4SDW Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2011 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Equipment and Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading all of the reviews and especially the Customer Service remarks from many users, I decided to purchase one of the combo units (8 Band EQ and The EQ Plus). I was impressed by the packaging when it arrived. Very professionally packaged and neat. Easy to set up. I had done some reading first and e-mailed a few others that had already been using the system before mine arrived so I had an idea of how to set it up with my ICOM 718.
The SM-20 mic I was currently using was a bit hot for this system but it worked fine. I later decided to go with a Shure SM7B Mic. It works great without using a pre-amp. I loved the audio sound I was getting. I had some RF that was getting into the radio so I sent an email to Julius and he responded quickly. He suggested I try another Mic Cable with some RF Chokes built in which he had made. I swapped out the mic cables and wow, the RF was gone. I am happy with this product and I can't say enough good things about Julius. He loves his customers and wants them to be happy with his product. He believes in his equipment and his customers. If I could rate Customer Service here, I would give it a 10+.
Thanks Julius for a good product.

KD5VHF Rating: 2/5 Apr 18, 2011 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Made by MFJ????  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to wonder if the same people who assemble Mighty Fine Junk items also assemble the W2IHY 8 Band EQ. I've owned mine for a few years now and have had to replace both toggle switches,replaced the slide switch on the rear and re-soldered countless connections. This is basically a "set it and forget it" piece of equipment so it's not like it's falling apart due to wear!
When it holds together long enough to work it works GREAT!
Maybe the newer units are being assembled by more competent people now?
Even with having to repair it many times, I still like it and will give it a thumbs up for how it improves the TX audio and gives the option of using one mic on two transmitters.

N4LA Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2011 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent products and Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used a 8 band EQ and EQ plus together for a few years now with several different rigs and mics and they are excellent ... I don't like digging into a menu to change audio settings ... The W2IHY products allow me to change on the fly. I'm not a audio guy ... I'm a DXer and Contester and I love audio flexibility in a pile-up ... this product makes change lightning fast !!
As for customer service ... No one ... I mean No ONE ... responds to questions and orders as fast as Julius ... this guy must live beside his computer!! ... I've ordered several times from Julius, and I'm still astonished at his customer service. I've ordered hundreds of items over the years from various dealers ... and W2IHY sits at the very top of my customer service top 10. Great products and great service ... what more do you want ? ... Highly Recommended !!

WA4WHL Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2011 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Quite Impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have only been using 8-band EQ for about a week but so far have had an excellent experience with both the hardware and help with setup from W2IHY.

Allows expanded ability to adjust the audio that makes it to my rig's input.

Julius has been a big help in setting the unit up. To the point of responding to help requests both by e-mail and phone. To me, the support is what makes the difference when new equipment is added to the shack which requires more than just plug & play. The support helps push the rating from 4.5 to 5.0. All the best,

K8WLK Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2011 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have operated my W2IHY eight band audio equalizer and noise gate in conjunction with my EQ plus by W2IHY for two months. I am using a Heil PR 781 and an ICOM 756 Pro III. After setup and optimization the package provides substantial increase in talk power. You sound loud and clear and can easily customize the profile for DX work. You will get continual positive comments about your audio.

Customer service is second to none. Everyone operating a business should follow this lead. Questions are handled expeditiously and Julius even helped optimize the settings by listing on HF.

My recommendation is simple. Money well spent, just go out and buy one now you will not be disappointed.