Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate Help

Reviews Summary for W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate
W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate Reviews: 201 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $249.99 assembled or 204.99 kit
Description: 8 band equalizer and noise gate
More info: http://www.w2ihy.com

You can write your own review of the W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate.

M0BJL Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2014 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Product, Amazing Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not going to write a long, comprehensive report as I would only be repeating what other reviews have stated.
In a nutshell it's a superb piece of kit.

What I would like to mention however is the service that Julius, W2IHY provides. I had one or two questions regarding the setting up of the 8 band equaliser and the EQPlus that I also purchased. I emailed Julius and within 5 minutes i received an unannounced telephone call from him offering his assistance. You simply don't get service like that, especially here in the UK anymore.
Thank you Julius, not only for a wonderful product but also for your invaluable service.
A++++ in my book!

KE3VG Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2013 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using W2IHYís 8-Band Equalizer and EQPlus for more than 6 month now so I have gain enough experience to write this review. So far here are my observations and opinion.
Pros:
- Does make a big difference in the transmit Audio Quality, it does not matter which radio or microphone, or RF power you are using. Per my experience, I have broken so many DX pileups, running vertical antenna, 100 watts of RF and W2IHY gears. I have been told numerous times by the DX stations, they heard me with my S4 or S5 signal, despite the presence of other S9+ signals, because of the audio modulation quality of my signals.This proves that the 8 band Equalizer and EQ plus is making a big difference in how you being heard by DX station. I have DX stations call me to find out what type of equipment I am using, especially audio equipment. Also, it is funny that they call me and ask about their audio quality because they think that I am an audio expert because of my transmit signal audio quality, which I am not.
- It accepts all types of microphones, Dynamic and Cordial, provides phantom power as needed.
- It does support all type of built in microphone plugs from all major brand of Radio available in market
- It provides the sets of options; i.e. Equalizer, Processor, Noise Gate, radio switching, microphone switching, etc. Especially I seat so close to AC in basement, the noise gate is big help to remove all the noise caused by air handler.
- Best of all: Julius Jones, the owner of W2IHY gears, provides the best service in the Amateur radio market, in fact best of any market. I my case, he have assisted me several times to decide on what type of gears I need, what setting needs to be adjusted with different radios and microphones, even assist me on air to adjust my gears for best possible sounding station. I would buy any product from Julius without thinking twice.
Cons:
- 8 band equalizer and EQPlus are not rack mountable. So it does take extra space on desk. Since you adjust it one time and forget it, I would like to have it rack mountable. Being on desk, it is possible to accidentally hit the controls and change happens without your knowledge.
- Same with foot print of the gears, I like to have a smaller foot print equalizer and processor available for my mobile setup. The existing gears are too big in my opinion.
Summary: Overall, I am very happy customer of W2IHY gears; it has a great quality and the best customer service available in market. I have changed several radios and antennas over the years but one thing will always stay in my shack is W2IHY gears.
In case you are wondering what I use, here is my equipment list. Yeasu FT 1000 MP, Ftdx 5000 MP, StepIrís Big IR vertical antenna. W2ITHY 8 band Equalizer + EQPlus, RODE Procaster microphone, HEIL PR-781 Microphone. If you ever need more details on W2IHY gears, please feel free to contact me via email.
I am giving 5 out of 5 to W2IHY product review.

WC3W Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 06:55 Send this review to a friend
This is one of the best investments I have made in many years.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dear Fellow Ham Radio Operators-I attended the Orlando Hamfest and bumped into Julius, W2IHY for a very short period of time as we were about to return back to South Florida QTH. As I had made many purchases already, I decided to wait in purchasing the EQplus and 8 band equializer. I own a Yeasu DX-5000 and employ a QRO linear amplifier in my shack. The DX-5000 has some nice audio internals. Howerver, upon returning home, I decided what the heck, I only live once so I ordered both the EQplus and 8 band equalizer. A good friend of mine had mentioned to me in Orlando what a great "reputation" Julius had in supporting his products. Well, I am here to tell you that his support in helping me set this equipment up is probably the best customer service I have experienced my entire ham career which has been many, many years (liscenced in 1960). The documentation was outstanding but even with it, I had a number of questions. I called Julius on the land line, and he walked me through the initial set up. I had some issues on the rear audio input on my DX-5000, and he sent me an audio cable that would allow me to use my newly purchased Heil PA-40 directly into the front plug on the DX-5000. This is the amazing part--after we set it up, he asked me to get on 20 meters and on two separate occasions, with telephone in hand, and rig tuned to 14.170, I tested, he recorded, he analyzed on his Flex 5000, he instructed me to change many settings, he played back my audio (over the telephone), and we iterated until all the setting were perfect for integration of my Heil mike, my voice, my DX-5000! My audio now as reported by local hams is simply amazing and I am sure it will help me in the difficult DX pileups! If you would like to contact me for further details, please do so on QRZ.com and my email address. Again, this is customer service at it's very best--I love the product as well! It is the best investment I have made in a long time! Good DX'ing 73 Mark WC3W

N4JBK Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2013 19:38 Send this review to a friend
None like it Julius puts it over the top  Time owned: more than 12 months
The W2IHY product line is great by itself but when it is coupled with a man like Julius running the show it makes for a unbeatable package. Julius defines customer service and being what I know a gentleman is. If he ever decides to go into any other line of radio gear it is game over for his "competition".

DL7ISA Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2012 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
With this Equalizer I add Bass and Treble to my Audio to sound well balanced and the Reports I get are accordingly. I switched on and off the EQ during my Transmissions, without the EQ nobody likes my Modulation. For that Reason I consider this Equalizer indispensable for me. My Mic is a Behringer B-2Pro, the Transceiver is an Icom IC-765. Usualy I get Reports that I sound smooth and comfortable to hear, due to this Equalizer.

The Noise Gate works great, very fine Adjustment for my Environment possible.

The only Reason why I dont rate it 5 is, the Mic in and Mic Out Volume Controls are below the Device and make it neccesary to flipp up and down the Device for Audio Adjustments, I find that ANNOYING.

I can connect all sorts of Mics now and the Headphone out Signal to my Computer, that Versatility is very fancy !

If W2IHY builds a new Version of this EQ with the Mic in and Mic Out Volume Controls on Top, I would buy it again.

K6SPY Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2012 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Great product!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like a lot of hams, I followed Bob Heil's advice from Ham Radio Nation (video 36 ) for audio chain improvements. I first picked up the Heil iCM mic for an older Icom rig. It helped quite a bit, but in the video Bob recommended adding a mixer for more output. So I picked up the Alesis Multimix8 mixer, which helped drive and shape the audio with a 4 band EQ. But the aduio was still not anywhere near what I was looking for.

I also added the W2IHY iBox which worked very well.

Then I picked up the W2IHY 8-band EQ and noise gate. That gave the audio much more punch and incredible sound. The noise gate also works very well.

I am so impressed with the W2IHY products I've tried, I just bought an EQ Plus. I'm now looking for the iPlus and I will eventually buy the coax switching box.

Keep up the great work Julius! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

W6QT Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2012 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Noise Gate  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Julius is a pleasure to deal with.

I have a fan and an AC running in the same room as my station and I can effectively block all this room noise with the noise gate.

I wanted to buy an expensive mic to use with this system, but Julius recommended a Radio Shack super-cardioid, Model 3300128. This is a $30 mic, and I can make it sound like anything with this equalizer. The unit is pretty much plug and play and if you're considering buying one it could help you improve your talk power.

WG2Y Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2011 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a problem with a unit that was out of it's warranty. I attempted to fix it and needed some guidance. I e-mailed Julius at 7:30pm. At around 7:50pm my phone rang and it was Julius. He helped me with the problem in a very professional manner.
I have never seen such a rapid response in all of my dealings with Ham equipment problems. BTW the product is fantastic.

N4VBH Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2011 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent accessory!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started out with the 8-band EQ and the EQplus combo, but sent the EQplus back. The 8-band was all I needed (with the rig's built-in compressor). My only complaint is I wish the controls were on the front and not the "top." I can't sit anything on it!

Julius is a pleasure to talk with, as well. 100% behind his products and his customer service is second to none. 5 stars!

K5TGS Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2011 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't Get Better Than This  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great product. I first contacted the firm and we discussed the device and my transceiver. Julius didn't want to sell the EQ until he felt it would provide an improvement. He took the time to dig out the technical data from Icom and then recommended this EQ. After ordering, it arrived in just a few days. The packing was very good and double boxed. The device has a very solid feel and looks very nice in the shack. The improvements to my audio were noted immediately. The manual and set-up were also easy to follow. I will be back later, after a few months, to update this review, but for now what quality and customer service!!