Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate Help

Reviews Summary for W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate
W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate Reviews: 199 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $249.99 assembled or 204.99 kit
Description: 8 band equalizer and noise gate
More info: http://www.w2ihy.com

You can write your own review of the W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer / Noise Gate.

WC3W Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 06:55 Send this review to a friend
This is one of the best investments I have made in many years.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dear Fellow Ham Radio Operators-I attended the Orlando Hamfest and bumped into Julius, W2IHY for a very short period of time as we were about to return back to South Florida QTH. As I had made many purchases already, I decided to wait in purchasing the EQplus and 8 band equializer. I own a Yeasu DX-5000 and employ a QRO linear amplifier in my shack. The DX-5000 has some nice audio internals. Howerver, upon returning home, I decided what the heck, I only live once so I ordered both the EQplus and 8 band equalizer. A good friend of mine had mentioned to me in Orlando what a great "reputation" Julius had in supporting his products. Well, I am here to tell you that his support in helping me set this equipment up is probably the best customer service I have experienced my entire ham career which has been many, many years (liscenced in 1960). The documentation was outstanding but even with it, I had a number of questions. I called Julius on the land line, and he walked me through the initial set up. I had some issues on the rear audio input on my DX-5000, and he sent me an audio cable that would allow me to use my newly purchased Heil PA-40 directly into the front plug on the DX-5000. This is the amazing part--after we set it up, he asked me to get on 20 meters and on two separate occasions, with telephone in hand, and rig tuned to 14.170, I tested, he recorded, he analyzed on his Flex 5000, he instructed me to change many settings, he played back my audio (over the telephone), and we iterated until all the setting were perfect for integration of my Heil mike, my voice, my DX-5000! My audio now as reported by local hams is simply amazing and I am sure it will help me in the difficult DX pileups! If you would like to contact me for further details, please do so on QRZ.com and my email address. Again, this is customer service at it's very best--I love the product as well! It is the best investment I have made in a long time! Good DX'ing 73 Mark WC3W

N4JBK Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2013 19:38 Send this review to a friend
None like it Julius puts it over the top  Time owned: more than 12 months
The W2IHY product line is great by itself but when it is coupled with a man like Julius running the show it makes for a unbeatable package. Julius defines customer service and being what I know a gentleman is. If he ever decides to go into any other line of radio gear it is game over for his "competition".

DL7ISA Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2012 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
With this Equalizer I add Bass and Treble to my Audio to sound well balanced and the Reports I get are accordingly. I switched on and off the EQ during my Transmissions, without the EQ nobody likes my Modulation. For that Reason I consider this Equalizer indispensable for me. My Mic is a Behringer B-2Pro, the Transceiver is an Icom IC-765. Usualy I get Reports that I sound smooth and comfortable to hear, due to this Equalizer.

The Noise Gate works great, very fine Adjustment for my Environment possible.

The only Reason why I dont rate it 5 is, the Mic in and Mic Out Volume Controls are below the Device and make it neccesary to flipp up and down the Device for Audio Adjustments, I find that ANNOYING.

I can connect all sorts of Mics now and the Headphone out Signal to my Computer, that Versatility is very fancy !

If W2IHY builds a new Version of this EQ with the Mic in and Mic Out Volume Controls on Top, I would buy it again.

K6SPY Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2012 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Great product!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like a lot of hams, I followed Bob Heil's advice from Ham Radio Nation (video 36 ) for audio chain improvements. I first picked up the Heil iCM mic for an older Icom rig. It helped quite a bit, but in the video Bob recommended adding a mixer for more output. So I picked up the Alesis Multimix8 mixer, which helped drive and shape the audio with a 4 band EQ. But the aduio was still not anywhere near what I was looking for.

I also added the W2IHY iBox which worked very well.

Then I picked up the W2IHY 8-band EQ and noise gate. That gave the audio much more punch and incredible sound. The noise gate also works very well.

I am so impressed with the W2IHY products I've tried, I just bought an EQ Plus. I'm now looking for the iPlus and I will eventually buy the coax switching box.

Keep up the great work Julius! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

W6QT Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2012 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Noise Gate  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Julius is a pleasure to deal with.

I have a fan and an AC running in the same room as my station and I can effectively block all this room noise with the noise gate.

I wanted to buy an expensive mic to use with this system, but Julius recommended a Radio Shack super-cardioid, Model 3300128. This is a $30 mic, and I can make it sound like anything with this equalizer. The unit is pretty much plug and play and if you're considering buying one it could help you improve your talk power.

WG2Y Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2011 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a problem with a unit that was out of it's warranty. I attempted to fix it and needed some guidance. I e-mailed Julius at 7:30pm. At around 7:50pm my phone rang and it was Julius. He helped me with the problem in a very professional manner.
I have never seen such a rapid response in all of my dealings with Ham equipment problems. BTW the product is fantastic.

N4VBH Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2011 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent accessory!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started out with the 8-band EQ and the EQplus combo, but sent the EQplus back. The 8-band was all I needed (with the rig's built-in compressor). My only complaint is I wish the controls were on the front and not the "top." I can't sit anything on it!

Julius is a pleasure to talk with, as well. 100% behind his products and his customer service is second to none. 5 stars!

K5TGS Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2011 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't Get Better Than This  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great product. I first contacted the firm and we discussed the device and my transceiver. Julius didn't want to sell the EQ until he felt it would provide an improvement. He took the time to dig out the technical data from Icom and then recommended this EQ. After ordering, it arrived in just a few days. The packing was very good and double boxed. The device has a very solid feel and looks very nice in the shack. The improvements to my audio were noted immediately. The manual and set-up were also easy to follow. I will be back later, after a few months, to update this review, but for now what quality and customer service!!

VK3CRG Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2011 04:02 Send this review to a friend
Just Perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was wanting to connect my Kenwood MC-90 Desk Mic (which I use on my Kenwood TS-590s) to my Kenwood TM-D710 2m & 70cm radio.

The stock mic & the way the radio is designed (for mobile use) has the audio good quality, but lacking bass & as stock it really doesn't give a very 'full & rich' sound. Connecting the MC-90 to the TM-D710 directly just sounded terrible. Low audio level, tinny, all highs & no bass whatsoever.

I needed something to match the impedance of the MC-90 & TM-D710. I also needed to be able to give the audio level some oomph and add some bass and be able to tailor the audio to make it sound decent.

I looked around and MFJ make something but it was not exactly given glowing reviews here on E-ham. Then I happened across the W2IHY website from a comment posted here on E-Ham.

Firstly, Julius is an absolute delight to deal with. Can't do enough for his customer, friendly, knows his stuff, and problems - I'm sure he'd do pretty much anything to help.

Secondly, It took 4 days (including a weekend!) for my 8 Band EQ & Noise Gate to arrive from NY USA to me here in Melbourne, Australia. Not bad!

The unit arrives VERY well-packed. If you're in Australia or NZ (or any other 240v country!) the unit comes with a 240v plug pack and even an Australian power plug pin adapter so I could just plug it straight in!

Everything is thought of by Julian to make the customer happy.

And "Happy" I am.

I've just plugged it into the radio, selected "K" (for Kenwood Mic) on the switch on the back of the unit, followed Julian's simple instructions to connect it to my Kenwood TM-D710 radio and have got many unsolicited compliments about my audio on air. Some have said it sounds like 'broadcast quality audio'.

It does take a little fiddling to get it to sound how you want it - but again everyone's voice, mic-radio combination is different.

I just use this box to match the MC-90 to my 2m & 70cm radio and it does a fine job.

I would not hesitate in recommending this product to anyone that wants to improve their audio or use any microphone with any radio. All you need is the correct connecting cable (you order that when you order the 8 band EQ box) and within minutes your up and running.

Well done Julius!

K4SDW Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2011 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Equipment and Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading all of the reviews and especially the Customer Service remarks from many users, I decided to purchase one of the combo units (8 Band EQ and The EQ Plus). I was impressed by the packaging when it arrived. Very professionally packaged and neat. Easy to set up. I had done some reading first and e-mailed a few others that had already been using the system before mine arrived so I had an idea of how to set it up with my ICOM 718.
The SM-20 mic I was currently using was a bit hot for this system but it worked fine. I later decided to go with a Shure SM7B Mic. It works great without using a pre-amp. I loved the audio sound I was getting. I had some RF that was getting into the radio so I sent an email to Julius and he responded quickly. He suggested I try another Mic Cable with some RF Chokes built in which he had made. I swapped out the mic cables and wow, the RF was gone. I am happy with this product and I can't say enough good things about Julius. He loves his customers and wants them to be happy with his product. He believes in his equipment and his customers. If I could rate Customer Service here, I would give it a 10+.
Thanks Julius for a good product.