Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Omni-VII Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Omni-VII
Ten-Tec Omni-VII Reviews: 108 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2850
Description: Ten-Tec Omni-VII Model 588AT (with Autotuner) 160 thru 6 meter Transceiver
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/amateur/transceivers/588

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Omni-VII.

N3RTD Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2018 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic reciever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One thing to say first, if only Ten Tec had more time to add features and work out some minor bugs how great this radio would be. Absolutely fantastic radio. The best feature is the simplicity of operation. One of the easiest transceivers I have ever used and I have used more than my share. Wonderful selectivity and sensitivity, easy to get rid of close in QRM and still be able to hear the station of interest. I am glad I bought it. A nice addition to my shack. I mainly use it for cw and digital modes like RTTY and FT-8 etc. Plus it is wonderful on SSB , better than most on reciever quietness and noise reduction. The only Transceivers out there that has better Noise reduction in my opinion is Yaesu, like my ftdx 3000, and my FT991A. But the Omni VII is easily made as quiet with a little aplication of the RF gain and NR set to 1-4, then you hear the weak stations well and have no harsh noise. I like it and think it would be nice if Ten Tec would become a producing brand name again.

AB1XG Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2017 05:33 Send this review to a friend
A Great Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this new from Ten Tec in 2008 when they were still in Sevierville, TN. I have had NO problems with this rig.

I've used it primarily for digital modes from RTTY to the JT modes. Recently I've used it on SSB, no problems ever.

My days are pretty busy but I hope to refresh myself with CW again after I retire.

I added the 500 hz and 250 hz filters from Inrad.

I'm looking forward to more years with this rig.

David AB1XG (ex-N1ZHE)

N4JHY Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2017 08:50 Send this review to a friend
WOW! This is a nice radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
-A late model Omni VII w/ 300 hz Collins filter came up on QTH.com at a ridiculous price so I bought it. I have had quite a few radios- FT950, TS850s, TS930s, TS820s, and an Icom IC7800. I bought the 7800 broken earlier this year, and repaired it. A friend made me an offer I could not refuse for it, and the 7800 went away.
With the profits I bought the O7.
I think I like the O7 better than the 7800.
With the 7800 I was always twisting knobs to have the sound of station I was listening to sound "right", just to have another speak, and more knob twisting.
With the O7, everyone sounds real nice. The received audio is different with the O7 compared to the Japanese radios, and I prefer it.
The O7 really hears stations deep into the noise, also.
There is no ring in the two Collins mechanical filters, and they really shine in this radio.
I did own a Jupiter, in my past, and the O7 is somewhat like the Jupiter, but on steroids. Also many added features.
In summary, I really like the Omni VII, and wish I did not wait this long to audition one.
73, Bruce

KG4FET Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2017 05:58 Send this review to a friend
well worth the wait!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not a comprehensive review at this point, BUT WOW! First to address the cheesy knob issue. NOT SO MUCH. Having a Jupiter (and still do) these multi function knobs are fine, work well and are not an issue. TBH I think they could be a little faster on the reaction time.
Second, the receiver is GREAT! Can be quieted down to no background hiss, filtering can do what the Jupiter's cannot and that is take AM interference out both amateur and Broadcast.
TX audio with the MC50 on a boom is great especially on AM. Audio adjustments are easy via the menu system.
The main, at this time, issue is still that you have to change the MIC/ACC switching in the menu to run digital.
I traded a Kenwood TS2K for this rig and got the better end of the deal.

WA4THR Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2017 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Amazing radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Omni VII since December of 2014, but had not gotten around to reviewing it until now. I bought it new because of the value it represented and my past experience with Ten Tec. Iíve owned other makesÖIcom, Kenwood, and still have a Yaesu in the car, but I also have had various Ten Tec rigs going back to the 70ís and always find I really like how they operate. The Omni VII was the most software-defined of anything Iíve owned, and the flexibility is impressive. I find it extremely capable in pulling out signals, whether weak ones or on crowded bands, and it is very pleasant to operate for long periods. The built-in antenna tuner seems to be able to match anything! It was a bit of a challenge at first as the operating philosophy was a bit different than other rigs Iíve had, including other Ten Tecs, but after the initial learning curve the more I used it the more I liked it. I could easily and inexpensively integrate it into my station with electronic logging, digital modes, and even a terrific pan adapter. After setting the audio variables I continue to get regular unsolicited ďGreat Audio!Ē reports. I have found lots of help on the various Ten Tec forums and even through Ten Tec, although they have been going through some changes as ownership shifted the last couple of years. The most amazing thing for this radio is the super-simple ability to be operated remotely with nothing more than a connection from the rig to my router. I can do anything from my laptop from far away and get nice reports, and have even snagged a much-needed rare DX on CW while on the road. Are there things I would like to see improved? Sure, the memory system (although not much different that other brands) could be improved, but having 4 band-stacking registers for each band alleviates that somewhat. Iíd also like to see a Digital Mode that allows quick setting of transmit audio and receive parameters, and the ability for the tuner to work on 6m, but overall I really like this rig more than anything else Iíve used.

WD5FUN Rating: 3/5 Jan 12, 2017 04:19 Send this review to a friend
A very average radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I no longer own an Omni VII because I found numerous radios that outperformed it at much lower prices with much better reliability. I have owned probably 15 Ten Tec radios over the years and found this to be no better than most. I am completely astounded by the price people are asking for these orphaned mediocre radios. You can buy radios in the $1200 to $1300 (and $800 to a $1000 used) price range that will run circles around this thing. It is feature poor for the price range it is in.

K4LAN Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2016 19:45 Send this review to a friend
another great product from ten tec  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
since i've been a ten tec user for 40 years i can't say much about other brands. my station has a jupiter, omni 6 + and now a new omni 7. the
'7 ' is a great up scale and up date from the older jupiter. in comparison to the jupiter its great. compared to the omni 6+. choose the " 7" if you can get one at a reasonable price. in you want a more modern radio. typical ten tec, good quality, hot rx and easy to operate. then again i am used to the jupiter as well.

K5REZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2015 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer, I love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned many good radios. The Omni VII is as good as any of them (FT-950, TS-590s, TS-440SAT, Flex 3000). I bought the Omni VII when it first went on "discount sale", new, from Ten Tec.

My favorite features of the Omni VII is "ease of use" and the RX. I give it highest marks for these features vs. the other radios I've owned. The Omni VII and the Flex 3000 are both keepers, I still own both.

KT8DX Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2015 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Easy flexibility  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ok - first off - I am NOT in love with this radio. Something about it just doesn't click on an emotional level. But with that being said, this radio is one of the most flexible radios I've used that is EASY to use. More flexible of course would be the Orions, which I've owned, but what a PITA to set up and use - at least for me.

The best way to put my feelings towards this radio is that I RESPECT it. The way you can easily dig down into the dirt for very weak signals. The way you can vary the selectivity and sensitivity for the best received signal. The way you can quiet the receiver down by using the RF Gain, Attenuator, and NR functions and still receive the signal. And to think, the knobs and buttons are all nice and big for my chubby plus sized fingers.

This radio is more like an arranged marriage. It takes time for the relationship to grow. One day I will love this radio. But in the meantime I will have to just enjoy the great DX, lengthy ragchews on CW, and contesting capability.

One thing I do know - it isn't going anywhere anytime soon!

Enjoy...

W3MT Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2015 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Quiet Receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My Omni 7 and I have been together for 5 months now. Luv the ergonomics, large screen, and most of all the very quiet receiver. I can enjoy a qso on ssb or be beeping on cw and turn the rf gain down until the background becomes almost fm-like. If your right handed its so nice to have the dedicated rit knob at the lower right hand corner. Especially if you enjoy CW. The one page menus is nicely displayed on the screen. I must confess I've only owned Ten Tec HF rigs and have little insight into the imports. I'm very satisfied with the performance of the model 588 and would purchase it again!