Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Omni-VII Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Omni-VII
Ten-Tec Omni-VII Reviews: 106 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2850
Description: Ten-Tec Omni-VII Model 588AT (with Autotuner) 160 thru 6 meter Transceiver
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/amateur/transceivers/588

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Omni-VII.

N4JHY Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2017 08:50 Send this review to a friend
WOW! This is a nice radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
-A late model Omni VII w/ 300 hz Collins filter came up on QTH.com at a ridiculous price so I bought it. I have had quite a few radios- FT950, TS850s, TS930s, TS820s, and an Icom IC7800. I bought the 7800 broken earlier this year, and repaired it. A friend made me an offer I could not refuse for it, and the 7800 went away.
With the profits I bought the O7.
I think I like the O7 better than the 7800.
With the 7800 I was always twisting knobs to have the sound of station I was listening to sound "right", just to have another speak, and more knob twisting.
With the O7, everyone sounds real nice. The received audio is different with the O7 compared to the Japanese radios, and I prefer it.
The O7 really hears stations deep into the noise, also.
There is no ring in the two Collins mechanical filters, and they really shine in this radio.
I did own a Jupiter, in my past, and the O7 is somewhat like the Jupiter, but on steroids. Also many added features.
In summary, I really like the Omni VII, and wish I did not wait this long to audition one.
73, Bruce

KG4FET Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2017 05:58 Send this review to a friend
well worth the wait!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not a comprehensive review at this point, BUT WOW! First to address the cheesy knob issue. NOT SO MUCH. Having a Jupiter (and still do) these multi function knobs are fine, work well and are not an issue. TBH I think they could be a little faster on the reaction time.
Second, the receiver is GREAT! Can be quieted down to no background hiss, filtering can do what the Jupiter's cannot and that is take AM interference out both amateur and Broadcast.
TX audio with the MC50 on a boom is great especially on AM. Audio adjustments are easy via the menu system.
The main, at this time, issue is still that you have to change the MIC/ACC switching in the menu to run digital.
I traded a Kenwood TS2K for this rig and got the better end of the deal.

WA4THR Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2017 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Amazing radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Omni VII since December of 2014, but had not gotten around to reviewing it until now. I bought it new because of the value it represented and my past experience with Ten Tec. Iíve owned other makesÖIcom, Kenwood, and still have a Yaesu in the car, but I also have had various Ten Tec rigs going back to the 70ís and always find I really like how they operate. The Omni VII was the most software-defined of anything Iíve owned, and the flexibility is impressive. I find it extremely capable in pulling out signals, whether weak ones or on crowded bands, and it is very pleasant to operate for long periods. The built-in antenna tuner seems to be able to match anything! It was a bit of a challenge at first as the operating philosophy was a bit different than other rigs Iíve had, including other Ten Tecs, but after the initial learning curve the more I used it the more I liked it. I could easily and inexpensively integrate it into my station with electronic logging, digital modes, and even a terrific pan adapter. After setting the audio variables I continue to get regular unsolicited ďGreat Audio!Ē reports. I have found lots of help on the various Ten Tec forums and even through Ten Tec, although they have been going through some changes as ownership shifted the last couple of years. The most amazing thing for this radio is the super-simple ability to be operated remotely with nothing more than a connection from the rig to my router. I can do anything from my laptop from far away and get nice reports, and have even snagged a much-needed rare DX on CW while on the road. Are there things I would like to see improved? Sure, the memory system (although not much different that other brands) could be improved, but having 4 band-stacking registers for each band alleviates that somewhat. Iíd also like to see a Digital Mode that allows quick setting of transmit audio and receive parameters, and the ability for the tuner to work on 6m, but overall I really like this rig more than anything else Iíve used.

WD5FUN Rating: 3/5 Jan 12, 2017 04:19 Send this review to a friend
A very average radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I no longer own an Omni VII because I found numerous radios that outperformed it at much lower prices with much better reliability. I have owned probably 15 Ten Tec radios over the years and found this to be no better than most. I am completely astounded by the price people are asking for these orphaned mediocre radios. You can buy radios in the $1200 to $1300 (and $800 to a $1000 used) price range that will run circles around this thing. It is feature poor for the price range it is in.

K4LAN Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2016 19:45 Send this review to a friend
another great product from ten tec  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
since i've been a ten tec user for 40 years i can't say much about other brands. my station has a jupiter, omni 6 + and now a new omni 7. the
'7 ' is a great up scale and up date from the older jupiter. in comparison to the jupiter its great. compared to the omni 6+. choose the " 7" if you can get one at a reasonable price. in you want a more modern radio. typical ten tec, good quality, hot rx and easy to operate. then again i am used to the jupiter as well.

K5REZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2015 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer, I love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned many good radios. The Omni VII is as good as any of them (FT-950, TS-590s, TS-440SAT, Flex 3000). I bought the Omni VII when it first went on "discount sale", new, from Ten Tec.

My favorite features of the Omni VII is "ease of use" and the RX. I give it highest marks for these features vs. the other radios I've owned. The Omni VII and the Flex 3000 are both keepers, I still own both.

KT8DX Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2015 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Easy flexibility  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ok - first off - I am NOT in love with this radio. Something about it just doesn't click on an emotional level. But with that being said, this radio is one of the most flexible radios I've used that is EASY to use. More flexible of course would be the Orions, which I've owned, but what a PITA to set up and use - at least for me.

The best way to put my feelings towards this radio is that I RESPECT it. The way you can easily dig down into the dirt for very weak signals. The way you can vary the selectivity and sensitivity for the best received signal. The way you can quiet the receiver down by using the RF Gain, Attenuator, and NR functions and still receive the signal. And to think, the knobs and buttons are all nice and big for my chubby plus sized fingers.

This radio is more like an arranged marriage. It takes time for the relationship to grow. One day I will love this radio. But in the meantime I will have to just enjoy the great DX, lengthy ragchews on CW, and contesting capability.

One thing I do know - it isn't going anywhere anytime soon!

Enjoy...

W3MT Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2015 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Quiet Receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My Omni 7 and I have been together for 5 months now. Luv the ergonomics, large screen, and most of all the very quiet receiver. I can enjoy a qso on ssb or be beeping on cw and turn the rf gain down until the background becomes almost fm-like. If your right handed its so nice to have the dedicated rit knob at the lower right hand corner. Especially if you enjoy CW. The one page menus is nicely displayed on the screen. I must confess I've only owned Ten Tec HF rigs and have little insight into the imports. I'm very satisfied with the performance of the model 588 and would purchase it again!

WS2W Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2015 16:14 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT 10 PLUS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been licensed since 1977 and probably have had 10 to 15 HF rigs durring that time. I never considered Ten Tec since foolishly I never thought they were Pretty radio's. I purchased an Ten Tec Omni 7 from a friend about a year ago after my Kenwood TS950SDX bit the dust in a shipping catastrophe. I have since used the Omni 7 durring many contests and I must say it has out performed any HF Radio I have had to date receive and transmit. I had a Icom 756 Pro3 for about a month and I was lucky to get 75 watts full output and it did not drive my tl922 to its full capabilitys. The Omni 7 puts out 100 watts and drives my amp to full output, plus I don't need a slave relay to key it. I use an Kenwood MC60a mic with the rig and get excellent audio reports with mic and processor set to 30 percent. I have both 300 & 500 filters.. Auto Tuner, cooling fan, external speaker and outboard tunning pod, which is more of a luxury than usefull addition. The receiver is great and the only complaint would be
the spectrum display which is not continuous and if Ten Tec could correct this, I would call it a 21st century perfect radio to date. Just remember looks don't make a great radio.

K1PMA Rating: 3/5 Feb 3, 2015 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Radio "chemistry" not for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My review must be seen in relation to numerous past and present other HF radio I have experience with (in the last 2 years). These include the Flex 6300, Yaesu FT3000, Elecraft K3, Kenwood 590SG, 590S and FT450D.

The wait for the radio was long...ordered it around the beginning of December and took delivery late January, so the expectations were pretty high. I heard that for new orders the wait is even longer, like 4-6 months. Unfortunately I am not overwhelmed by this radio. It kind of does not excell in any area, while nothing is really bad. Only thing I did not like from the first day was the feel and way the knobs work (not the large VFO, that one is OK). They feel really cheap and are of the 'endless turn' variety. Cranking up the volume for example is like 2-3 complete turns, feels very odd. Audio quality is worse the the 590SG and K3, and yes, I fiddled with all the settings. I also found it strangely difficult to tune stations well and fast, but might just be a personal thing.

I did like the menu system, straightforward and easy to understand...nothing convoluted like the FT3000. The display is large, sufficiently bright and decent contrast. My feeling is a lot of hams will get this radio because of the display. The band scope is of limited use as a sweep will interrupt RX but still you get an idea of what's out there.

Found that the mic input is compatible with the Flex 6300, so I had more options. The radio came with a very large desk stand type mic wich looks impressive. But is not really practical unless you can place it close to your mouth somehow, really to heavy to hold in your hands.

My verdict, for considerably less money you can get a superior radio, the Kenwood 590SG. Without the need to wait many months.