Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Omni-VII Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Omni-VII
Ten-Tec Omni-VII Reviews: 108 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2850
Description: Ten-Tec Omni-VII Model 588AT (with Autotuner) 160 thru 6 meter Transceiver
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/amateur/transceivers/588

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Omni-VII.

WS2W Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2015 16:14 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT 10 PLUS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been licensed since 1977 and probably have had 10 to 15 HF rigs durring that time. I never considered Ten Tec since foolishly I never thought they were Pretty radio's. I purchased an Ten Tec Omni 7 from a friend about a year ago after my Kenwood TS950SDX bit the dust in a shipping catastrophe. I have since used the Omni 7 durring many contests and I must say it has out performed any HF Radio I have had to date receive and transmit. I had a Icom 756 Pro3 for about a month and I was lucky to get 75 watts full output and it did not drive my tl922 to its full capabilitys. The Omni 7 puts out 100 watts and drives my amp to full output, plus I don't need a slave relay to key it. I use an Kenwood MC60a mic with the rig and get excellent audio reports with mic and processor set to 30 percent. I have both 300 & 500 filters.. Auto Tuner, cooling fan, external speaker and outboard tunning pod, which is more of a luxury than usefull addition. The receiver is great and the only complaint would be
the spectrum display which is not continuous and if Ten Tec could correct this, I would call it a 21st century perfect radio to date. Just remember looks don't make a great radio.

K1PMA Rating: 3/5 Feb 3, 2015 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Radio "chemistry" not for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My review must be seen in relation to numerous past and present other HF radio I have experience with (in the last 2 years). These include the Flex 6300, Yaesu FT3000, Elecraft K3, Kenwood 590SG, 590S and FT450D.

The wait for the radio was long...ordered it around the beginning of December and took delivery late January, so the expectations were pretty high. I heard that for new orders the wait is even longer, like 4-6 months. Unfortunately I am not overwhelmed by this radio. It kind of does not excell in any area, while nothing is really bad. Only thing I did not like from the first day was the feel and way the knobs work (not the large VFO, that one is OK). They feel really cheap and are of the 'endless turn' variety. Cranking up the volume for example is like 2-3 complete turns, feels very odd. Audio quality is worse the the 590SG and K3, and yes, I fiddled with all the settings. I also found it strangely difficult to tune stations well and fast, but might just be a personal thing.

I did like the menu system, straightforward and easy to understand...nothing convoluted like the FT3000. The display is large, sufficiently bright and decent contrast. My feeling is a lot of hams will get this radio because of the display. The band scope is of limited use as a sweep will interrupt RX but still you get an idea of what's out there.

Found that the mic input is compatible with the Flex 6300, so I had more options. The radio came with a very large desk stand type mic wich looks impressive. But is not really practical unless you can place it close to your mouth somehow, really to heavy to hold in your hands.

My verdict, for considerably less money you can get a superior radio, the Kenwood 590SG. Without the need to wait many months.

AK4SJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2015 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Exellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Omni-VII for about 3 years and there is plenty to talk about but I'll just hit a few items. First it is the easiest radio to operate I've tried. I have a Kenwood TS-2000 that I can't remember what button does what. I will say the Kenwood is better on 6 meters but maybe only because the auto tuner will tune my crappy antenna. The Omni auto tuner does not tune on 6 meters....only HF bands. I am putting up a 6m ringo for local FM that I can tune so I will soon figure out what's what. My signal generator says the radio is OK. With the current sale going on I am torn whether to buy a second Omni. I also am interested in a K3 because it has the Panadapter. But reading reviews for the K3 here have made me cool down. I may just wait and see if they put out a new model that fixes the complaints I've read. K4? The Omni and TS-2000 really fill all my needs. The Omni display is nothing to write home about but is very functional. The band scope feature is somewhat marginal in my opinion. It pops up all kinds of spikes with a new scan and more stations are sprinkled between the spikes than on them. Seems odd but the techs say that's normal. Oh well it's something to look at. All in all I love this radio. If my 6 meters tunes up, I may jump in for a second one. I really would like a panadapter thought. For now I use a SDR radio hodgepodge from QST magazine on my PC and I can see the bands somewhat. I'd really like Ten-Tec to come out with an Omni-VIII and a Panadapter.......Hear that?

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2014 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Maybe my last radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I looked back and did not see I had reviewed it yet. Bought at Dayton 08 fully loaded, with the idea of it might be my last main HF radio. I rate it high purely as a transceiver. Outside issues, like my computers no longer have serial ports for programming, are not rated. Great for SSB receive. If QRM is low to none, open it up to 2.6 to 3 KHz and hear good SSB stations sounding better. CW sounds good too. Has all the filters notches shifts and gizzies you need to pull sigs out of the QRM, though. Bandscan is not realtime so if you scan a dead band and a signal is not there at the exact instant it looks, you will miss it and therefore I rarely use that. Transmit has plenty of parameters you can adjust if optimum TX audio is your thing. I have tried many many mics on the radio, and nearly all sound great or good. The radio starts out with excellent TX audio so you would have to use a pretty crappy mic to sound bad. As for the built in tuner. I forgot I ordered it installed and two years never tried it. Still tend to use an external tuner. Overall I really like the radio. Like that it is USA made.

WQ3Q Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2014 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Good to Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As a follow up on my experience... the logic board fried I was told it was a surge. Hmmm. Well I still am skeptical and I know there are true blue TT people on here, but the jury is still out on my experience. I must however give some credit to the Service Manager Paul. He didn't feel it was the unit but he gave me a break on the final bill. I acknowledge his willingness to do that and so I don't want to be a sourpuss about this. That was a class thing to do when he could have just been stubborn about it. So thank you Paul and I hope we never have to meet again in a situation like this. 73! May my OMNI VII live long and prosper!

KF6BKH Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2014 20:55 Send this review to a friend
The Best I Own  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought my Omni 7 during the big July sale, only took 2 weeks for me to receive it. Now I've only had it 7 days but I must say this is a great radio. I keep reading reviews about how quiet the receiver is, and boy are they right. There are times I'm not sure the radio is even on, it almost sounds like I have FM stations on (ok maybe not that quiet). I have been thinking about this radio for a few years but never pulled the trigger, but at the sale price I thought I could always sell it later and not lose much. The only thing I wish is I had bought it years before. Anyway guys I think everyone should give this radio a try. Also when I ordered it the guys from TenTec where great to talk with and answered everything I asked them, don't think the other manufactures are like that. I'll give a follow up in a month or so.

K1TP Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2014 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Tentec repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the omni vii a few years and like the radio. I still own the Icom 756 PRO III and consider it an equal . I just had the display go and sent it to Tentec. I was surprised at the $349 repair bill to replace a non color display....not really happy about it! On a brighter note, the repair turnover was a week which is fantastic !

N2PM Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2014 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got back on the air after retiring. trying to find the right set up, went thru a few different station setups, nothing seemed to float the boat then decided to try TenTec, tried the Orion but more then I needed, had also tried a FTDX 3000 and 5000. Then came across a good deal on a mint Omni VII. Great receiver, great transmit reports, easy to use yet all the features there for what every you want, Tentec factory support is the best I've ever seen. All the top brands make good rigs but I urge you to look into Tentec, call Stan before you spent your money. They even have a thirty day return policy. My entire station is now Tentec, just bought their linear and got my eye on an Eagle. You have to use a rig to see if it suits you, all the technical stuff looks good on paper, but where the rubber meets the road is what counts, this for the money is the best equipment I think you can find.

KD6SX Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2014 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy Now  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a revision of the review that I submitted on December 23, 2013. After I wrote the review outlining my problems with high SWR and rig shutdowns, I received an e-mail note from a Ten-Tec Ambassador who was very courteous and helpful. He put me in contact with the Ten-Tec service department. I sent the rig in again and got it back a few days ago. It's working fine now and I have no problem giving it an enthusiastic 5. I've used it on most modes and it works as advertised. I appreciate not only the quality of the rig but also the Ten-Tec people who resolved the problem. A great company that makes great equipment. I've owned more Ten-Tec radios over the years than anything else.

KD6SX

W9WLW Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2014 20:51 Send this review to a friend
A terrific and very diversified radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Omni VII is a very nice radio to use. I enjoy using mine on SSB, CW, AM and digital modes. I love the keypad, band stacking registers, and the single tree menu. You can remote into the radio via the Internet using Ten-Tec's OnePlug application and have full control of the radio.

BTW - N4PY's control programs work great with it.

I always get great audio reports using the Ten-Tec 709 microphone, and great tone reports on CW.

Ten-Tec has a protection feature built-in to keep you from frying the finals. If you transmit a 100 watts into an open connector, or a load that has an SWR greater than 3:1 it will shut off to save you from embarrassment. Other manufacturers use a power fold-back solution, but it doesn't keep you from over-heating your finals.