Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Ten-Tec Omni-VII Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Omni-VII
Ten-Tec Omni-VII Reviews: 102 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2850
Description: Ten-Tec Omni-VII Model 588AT (with Autotuner) 160 thru 6 meter Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Omni-VII.

K1TP Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2014 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Tentec repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the omni vii a few years and like the radio. I still own the Icom 756 PRO III and consider it an equal . I just had the display go and sent it to Tentec. I was surprised at the $349 repair bill to replace a non color display....not really happy about it! On a brighter note, the repair turnover was a week which is fantastic !
N2PM Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2014 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got back on the air after retiring. trying to find the right set up, went thru a few different station setups, nothing seemed to float the boat then decided to try TenTec, tried the Orion but more then I needed, had also tried a FTDX 3000 and 5000. Then came across a good deal on a mint Omni VII. Great receiver, great transmit reports, easy to use yet all the features there for what every you want, Tentec factory support is the best I've ever seen. All the top brands make good rigs but I urge you to look into Tentec, call Stan before you spent your money. They even have a thirty day return policy. My entire station is now Tentec, just bought their linear and got my eye on an Eagle. You have to use a rig to see if it suits you, all the technical stuff looks good on paper, but where the rubber meets the road is what counts, this for the money is the best equipment I think you can find.
KD6SX Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2014 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy Now  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a revision of the review that I submitted on December 23, 2013. After I wrote the review outlining my problems with high SWR and rig shutdowns, I received an e-mail note from a Ten-Tec Ambassador who was very courteous and helpful. He put me in contact with the Ten-Tec service department. I sent the rig in again and got it back a few days ago. It's working fine now and I have no problem giving it an enthusiastic 5. I've used it on most modes and it works as advertised. I appreciate not only the quality of the rig but also the Ten-Tec people who resolved the problem. A great company that makes great equipment. I've owned more Ten-Tec radios over the years than anything else.

W9WLW Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2014 20:51 Send this review to a friend
A terrific and very diversified radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Omni VII is a very nice radio to use. I enjoy using mine on SSB, CW, AM and digital modes. I love the keypad, band stacking registers, and the single tree menu. You can remote into the radio via the Internet using Ten-Tec's OnePlug application and have full control of the radio.

BTW - N4PY's control programs work great with it.

I always get great audio reports using the Ten-Tec 709 microphone, and great tone reports on CW.

Ten-Tec has a protection feature built-in to keep you from frying the finals. If you transmit a 100 watts into an open connector, or a load that has an SWR greater than 3:1 it will shut off to save you from embarrassment. Other manufacturers use a power fold-back solution, but it doesn't keep you from over-heating your finals.
AC4R Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2013 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Top Shelf Radio   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Omni 7 for over two years . The other two rigs in the rack have been gathering dust ever since. Easy menu system, great audio , big display screen. It produces very good AM and can go up to 4 KH wide on transmit for ESSB. You wont go wrong with a Omni 7.

LA2RRA Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2013 20:18 Send this review to a friend
So fare nice :-)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just played for 7 days but i am impressed.
I own K3 but on low bands this make me recieve better than K3.
I have lot of urban noice and Omni VII is more quieter but i can read stations low in noice better.....
Now K3 are connected to 2 el Steppir and Omni VII to my home made carolina windom 80m...
Nice ragshew rig ...will conect to Steppir later.
Post new experience when i do this.

73 from Norway
KA4UPI Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2013 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Love the Omni VII  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first Ten-Tec rig and I really like everything about it. I like the menu driven interface, the ability to update the firmware, and all of the other features. I was a little sceptical of it at first since I work mosty CW and digital modes but it quickly proved itself. The more I use this radio the more my other rigs sit collecting dust. I use HRD with it and have had little to no issues with it interfacing. You can tell that this is a very high quality made radio for the price range. I plan to install the two 300 and 500mhz Collins filters this weekend since I operate CW so much but even without them it really performs great and the QSK is exeptional. I never realized how well QSK is when working CW. You won't miss a thing with it. I typically don't do reviews and such but I had to give Ten-Tec thier dues on such a quality radio. This is definitely my primary radio from now on.
KI4SWE Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2012 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Easy, Fun and a solid performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am a new General operator so I cant boast of 20 years of experience, however I can tell you that using the Omni as my first HF radio has been wonderful. Stan and Jim at Tentec were great to work with before and after the sale with my typical new operator questions and I love the fact that it was made in the USA.

The radio is simple to use and very intuitive without having to spend weeks in the manual, yet there is plenty of adjustment and filters to tune in anything. I have had mine for over 6 months now and simply love it. Thanks TenTec
KA4UPI Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2012 11:54 Send this review to a friend
There is a good reason  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yep there is good reason why this radio gets a near perfect mark. I have used this rig now for nearly a year and half and it has performed flawlessly for me. I use it on Phone, CW, and most of the popular digital modes with HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe) interface with no problems at all. I like the software menu setup and absolutely love the CW performance and the full QSK and quite keying. Also the AutoTuner is worth every penny and tunes anything within reason for an antenna. I get many good reports on the audio and transmit quality of the radio that i have never gotten on any of the other radios I have used over the years. Well not to ramble on but if you are searching for a well made performer this is definitely it. You may find a cheaper one but you won't find a better designed or performing radio for the money. Thanks Ten-Tec for design well done.
K3UR Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2012 17:13 Send this review to a friend
STUPENDOUS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned 19 HF radios in the past 35 years as a licensed Amateur Radio Operator and my Ten-Tec Omni VII ranks right near the top.

As a musician for over 60 years and the Setup Specialist W2IHY Audio Gear, the Omni VII was the perfect fit for my type of operation and for the instruction to others on the ham bands.

The Omni VII has surely lived up to it's stated specs and standards and delivers the benefits that the features speak about.

As a avid audiophile, the Omni VII has exceeded my expectations with a remarkable receiver that is flat from 20Hz to 4000Hz and a transmitter that
delivers the mellifluous audio that is music to one's ears. The monitoring circuit is outstanding and my Sony MDR-V900 headphones with 50mm drivers can capture all the lows, mids and highs.

The knobs and buttons are strategically positioned
to make quick and easy changes and the menus are easy to understand and set.

As the former owner of some other larger and heavier radios like the Kenwood TS-950, Ten-Tec Orion II and Yaesu FTdx5000MP, it truly was a pleasure to carry the boxed Omni VII under one arm into my hamshack.

You can see my setup for this radio on NU9N's website and also get a wealth of information about radios, setup, record and playback.

My Omni VII has taken it's rightful place alongside my Flex-5000 and Kenwood TS-870 in my hamshack and you can see all of these on QRZ'd under my callsign, K3UR.

My first software upgrade was the fastest and the easiest of any other radio that I have had and I am happy to give the Omni VII top rating here.