Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-3A Help

Reviews Summary for N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-3A
N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-3A Reviews: 16 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $250.00
Description: Vertical Iambic paddle, magnetic lever return, ball bearing movement, low profile fingerpieces, very short lightweight lever arms and quick adjust contact and magnet screws.
More info: http://www.n3znkeys.com

You can write your own review of the N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-3A.

NK9G Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2011 20:14 Send this review to a friend
N3ZN Vertical Iambic Paddle  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned this for 11+ months and I have never rated any keys before. I rate this key a solid 5. The feature that I was looking for was a heavy key and this was about the heaviest I have found. I talked with Tony over the years and never made the move. Having Vibroplex's, Kents, Benchers they just would'nt stay put because I push hard because of limited feeling in my fingers. So weight was a huge issue. But the smooth feeling with the carbon fiber paddles says it all. This thing is a masterpiece on my desk and everyone that has visited the shack and used it said it felt better than any other key I owned. Quality is what Tony makes and it's clear to me that with a money back guarantee Tony stands behind his products. So as I head to Dayton I hope to work out something with a heavy base on a ZN-5. That would make 2 of my 4 operating positions primo when it comes to CW.
I operate 98% of the time CW and being retired is getting a good work out.
Rick NK 9G

W2GB Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2011 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Recently I had the opportunity to purchase a ZN-3A. While at the moment this particular paddle is not in production I jumped at the opportunity and I am glad I did. A few years ago I was lucky enough to be able to try a prototype of the Begali Graciella and ever since then the idea of owning a vertical paddle has always interested me. While I did like the Graciella I did not care for the way that you had to “fit” your fist within the boundaries of the paddles front feet and that the fingerpieces were quite small.

The ZN-3a does not have that issue as the base is rectangular and there is nothing to get in the way. The carbon fiber finger pieces are a perfect size have absolutely no give to them and just feel right . As every other reviewer of this outstanding piece of quality workmanship has already pointed out this paddle has its own distinct feel that allows accurate and precise keying with nearly effortless finger movement.

Tony not only builds quality paddles at affordable, reasonable prices but he is also a wealth of knowledge when it comes to all things CW. I had asked him some general questions regarding paddles via email . While my concerns had nothing to do with his products Tony answered my questions very fast and I knew that this was a man I would enjoy doing business with. While I have never actually had the pleasure of meeting Tony in person I look forward to doing that at some point in the near future.

I would highly recommend any of The N3ZN line of paddles you will not be disappointed
With the price or the quality of the workmanship. AND you will be astounded with the way your new N3ZN paddle will arrive. You will be able to tell how much Tony cares about his products and your ultimate satisfaction before you even remove the paddle from the box.

You’ll see what I mean.

If you enjoy operating CW owning an N3ZN paddle will make it that much more enjoyable.

K8ALM Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2009 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Work of art  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the ZN-9B and absolutely love it. I tend to have a rather heavy hand when keying and the ZN9B has a beautiful feel and stays in place. Excellent craftsmanship. You will not be disappointed.

KI6YN Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2009 08:15 Send this review to a friend
A GREAT PADDLE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using a Mercury paddle for almost 20 years and was fascinated by the idea of a vertical paddle. I tried some others but washn't satisfied and then I read about the ZN-3A. The reviews were correct, great service, beautiful workmanship, and a nice unique feel. I only work CW and having the ZN-3A makes it a hard choice between it and the Mercury. They have different feels, but both are works of art and possessions bo be enjoyed. Buy one, you will be glad you did.

WD4DNG Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2009 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding workmanship,a work of art !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second set of paddles that Tony has built for me,the first was the ZN-4A.I was so impressed with it I ordered The ZN-3A.
Like the ZN-4A,It is a precision high quality instrument,heavy,will not walk on the table & the workmanship is outstanding!It makes using CW a pleasure!
I own other high end paddles,but these are my favorite!It is an investment that will last a life time!

N7DJC Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2008 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Finest Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have not been a CW operator for 14yrs. however after a great deal of time with a CW friend of mine I decided to get back into CW. I fell in love with the ZN-3A after carefully examining many very expensive lessor keys at that friends home. I asked Tony to make the ZN-3A have a little more table space so he advised me that he could put a 3/4" brass base on it to raise it up slightly. The day it arrived Tony sent me an e-mail saying it exceeded his 5# mail scale, I checked it on my scale and got 5# 4 3/4oz. This is the smothest key I've tried and I'll not buy any other mfg. key. I'm doing great on getting back into CW.

K7JAL Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2008 11:34 Send this review to a friend
The best of the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my ZN-3A from Tony about 2 weeks ago. I could have written this the day I received the key, but I wanted to use it for a bit before I did. Being the 3rd key I own of Tony's, I had no doubt about the quality. There is none better. I own a ZN-4A and a ZN-9A. You can read my reviews there. I just replaced the ZN-4A in my shack with this ZN-3A and the ZN-9A is in my 5th wheel. All my other keys are dust collectors now.

This ZN-3A is a beast to say the least big and heavy, but it is the most beautiful key that I own. Beauty and the beast all in one.

I never knew that the feel of a vertical iambic paddle could be so different than normal iambic paddles, but the short finger pieces with the movement of the vertical arms is the most amazing feel. Smooth, graceful, and outstanding feedback.

My next key purchase will be one of Tony's ZN-7A, so that I can put one of these amazing keys into my trailer while on the road.

Tony puts magic in all his keys. His keys are well thought out from the stand point of the CW operator. his workman ship is impeccable.

If you are looking for the best of the best then this is the key for you. HIGHLY recommended.

N7XM Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2008 04:30 Send this review to a friend
Top of the LINE !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My initial impression - this is a W9WBL design
on " steroids" - but that is NOT true - it is
it's own unique design !

N3ZN is a master craftsman ! He has paid great
attention to detail and it shows.

This paddle is HEAVY - and that is very welcome
the movement is PRECISION and SMOOTH - it uses
magnetic tension and its easy to adjust.
I have 50 years experience with CW - I have had
many paddles - and this MODEL rates right up their
with the TOP TWO in my opinion !

Paddles tend to
be an individual matter and very subjective -
but regardless of your TOUCH ( heavy or light) , I suspect this PADDLE will meet your needs -

Two thumbs UP !!!

K3EY Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2008 04:41 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENCE  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I add that others have not already stated besides a big thanks to Tony for providing a unique paddle that functions amazingly well. Excellent feel with small foot print yet very stable for even that hard fist. Excellent craftsmanship priced very reasonable.

I truly understand what Tony is doing and what's required producing excellent paddles that are affordable. You must give it your time money talent and your good name to accomplish this kind of endeavor. I thought of doing this very thing myself since I am a machinist already and half way there. Regardless I lack the required drive and passion to do it right.

I have never met Tony. I have no invested interest in his business whatsoever. It’s just that I clearly see his passion and talent and know first hand what’s involved as it’s my area of expertise. I applaud guys like Tony for putting it all out there for everyone’s benefit . Thanks again Tony for doing what I couldn't.

Curt/k3ey

W1BX Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2007 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Best of the best of the best....with honors.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Instantly my favorite key, and only Don Hensley's key in my collection comes close. The fit and finish of Don's keys are without parallel, but the basic design has a lot of mass to the arms, which leads to a fairly heavy adjustment feel. The ZN-3A vertical design offers a unique advantage in that the finger tip travel is nearly constant over the paddle finger piece surfaces. Tony has also used low mass arm elements, allowing a much lighter weight setup. The end result is very easy adjustment, higher speeds, and excellent accuracy at close spacing. A jewel on any one's operating desk.