Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | N8XJK 12Volt Boost Regulator Help

Reviews Summary for N8XJK 12Volt Boost Regulator
N8XJK 12Volt Boost Regulator Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $155
Description: This Boost Regulator was designed to supply a constant voltage to the radio or other equipment regardless of the battery voltage. The Boost Regulator is a switching power supply that regulates the output and boosts the voltage to your equipment. The increased voltage prevents distortion commonly seen on modern mobile radios. It also maintains transmit power and allows longer operation from a battery.
More info: http://stores.tgelectronics.org/Detail.bok?no=7

You can write your own review of the N8XJK 12Volt Boost Regulator.

WP4O Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2016 08:39 Send this review to a friend
superb IT WORKS!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The BOOSTER really works best purchase ever for Ham Radio. I get Full power out put from my Car using the ICOM IC 7100 no more shut down No MORE engine noise.. Thanks Tim and to N8XJK for designing this product, I think everyone mobile running 100 watts or more should use one of these boosters.. 5 Stars from me Thanks
Ed Kk4x, Tampa Fl

K0BAK Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2015 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Essential for extended high power operation from battery  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased the 80 amp model for outfitting my VHF & HF contest rover. My amplifiers are rated at 60 to 80 amps DC draw, though they rarely draw that much when driven correctly.

The booster is solidly built. It works as it should; not much to say about a voltage booster if it works. I no longer have to worry about voltage fading if I operate (without the engine on) for a long time on my dedicated deep discharge battery. Once operated portable with the engine off for almost 6 hours using a "500 watt" HF amplifier; the battery dipped to 10.7 volts by the end but it didn't matter because the booster kept delivering 14.1 volts. Did not try RF sensing, I just leave it on all the time.

My rover is not dedicated, so I have to install and tear down all the equipment in the minivan for each contest outing. The power input and output cables show no sign of wear after about a dozen installs and teardowns.

Minor disappointments:
1) I get a big spark when I connect the input cable to the battery -- I wish there was some kind of slow draw circuit when the booster is first connected, I'd pay extra to avoid that big spark and the presumed big current spike.
2) WRT the remote digital voltage meter, the jacket for the remote cable (NOT the power cable) pulled away from both connectors, exposing the individual wires inside. I fixed it with a heat shrink overwrap.

Would definitely buy TG Electronics equipment again and have recommended this booster on other forums.

N7DK Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2015 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent all around  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
During Field Day, my aging batteries wouldn't power my rig for long despite having more than half their charge remaining. My finicky rig really wants to see 13.5 or more volts when transmitting. Below 12.5 volts it starts misbehaving rather badly.

I've since bought the N8XJK Boost Regulator, and I'm delighted with it. I've run several tests with it, and it does exactly what N8XJK says it does. I can take the batteries down to just above 10 volts under load and keep operating. The rig stays "happy", and that 10-volt threshold is adjustable to as low as 9 volts.

I bought the unit with the RF sensor that lets the rig run "raw" from the battery on receive with the booster electronics quieted. I was afraid there would be "birdies" in the receiver if the regulator circuits were running while the rig was receiving. But there were none ... zippo ... and my receiver is very sensitive. So I could have done without that feature. But I use it anyway ... it does reduce energy consumption somewhat when on receive, and of course the rig spends most of its time in the receive state.

The unit has a heavy case with a solid feel. Very nice. I recommend it without hesitation.

One caution. Use the heaviest, shortest cables you can from the battery to the regulator ... when the batteries start running low, the regulator has to draw more current to boost the voltage to the rig. If your cables to the regulator offer 0.1 ohms resistance, and if you're drawing over 10 amps from the battery, there goes 1.0 volt of "headroom" right there. You want to stay away from the 10v threshold as long as you can ...

W2BLC Rating: 1/5 Apr 28, 2015 03:11 Send this review to a friend
Did not last  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought it to use with station battery backup system. It worked when first tested, however months later was found to be dead. No function - no LEDs, nothing. All it did was to reduce the 12 VDC line a full volt. I installed a much larger marine battery and removed the device from my system.

I feel the device is not reliable and tossed it, rather than return for warranty - eliminating shipping costs and delays.

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2014 22:47 Send this review to a friend
Rig cutting back TX pwr? This may be your fix.   Time owned: more than 12 months
The IC7000 could run all day long at full power in my 2001 Chev with no problem. But in the 2013 Equinox it would intermittently cut way back on TX power.

After chasing my tail a bit found that the source voltage to rig (measured at rig and Battery) was at times dropping as low as 12v.
Found that the 2013 hyper-monitors charging system and cuts back alternator field under light load conditions to squeeze out more MPG.

Once I confirmed the issue, installed N8XJK Super Booster (set to min Voltage of your choice up to 15V), and boom, no more TX power problems!

Great product that does what itís supposed to and works great! Highly recommended!

KC1SQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2014 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Wroks Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've recently moved to a condo in downtown Boston. Sigh, no more big antennae / QRO. But, my wife and I did take up sailing (initially out of Boston Harbor, now chartering around the world)... and that's provided a new platform for hamming.

With a waterproof Pelican case, I can carry a complete station based on an Icom IC-7000. Haul a wire up the mast, throw some more copper over the side, connect an Icom AH-4 tuner, and hook things up to the boat's 12VDC batteries... and work the world, all while bobbing around on the water (usually at anchor). Well, almost. The IC-7000 really wants 13+VDC, and marine batteries aren't so robust, voltage wise. When the batteries lost some charge, the IC-7000 would just power cycle. No fun in the middle of a contact.

The TGE N8XJK Booter saved the day. RF sensing works great, no RFI hash noted (tho I'm using the torroids on the power leads). No complaints. Next trip, Belize for a week.

While instructions are somewhat "sparse", it's really very straight forward to setup and use.

I love it.

WB4WTL Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2013 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This device works great! I purchased the 40 amp model with the built-in cooling fan (although it has never run). The unit is well constructed and the case is heavy gauge metal. Using a gel cell as the input, the voltage drop on the output was 0.13Vdc at 13.8 volts with an 18 amp load! That is better regulation than my DC supply . . .

Tim was great and responsive to an order question via email, and my order arrived quickly within a few days. This product performs as advertised, and I highly recommend it.

K0NHV Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2013 06:43 Send this review to a friend
They Work!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got two of the marine boosters. I use one in my RV with my solar system and another in my Shack for my emergency backup.

I bought the first one over a year ago, and just picked up the second one.

Tim at TGelectronics is great to do business with.

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2012 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Great product! Fieldday workhorse boosted score..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used the N8XJK 30 amp Boost Regulator for Field Day 2012, on my sailboat, marine mobile class (C1). What a great device! I was able to use my big battery for the entire contest with the K3 and set 14 volts for the rig. Even though the battery dropped to 10.5 volts the rig always got 14. My output was at 100 watts rather than 60-75. Of my 665 contacts I attribute 75 or more to the improved output power. Flawless, steady performance over 24 hours of transmission. When I used my generator I got S5 noise but with the battery boosted I got S1. No more generator hash! Wish I had gotten one of these 10 years ago.

N1CP Rating: 2/5 Feb 2, 2012 16:02 Send this review to a friend
very poor documentation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having heard good things I purchased but am very unhappy with the inadequate documentation concerning operation. After several emails the company was still unable to provide any specific information as to how to use the RF Enabling feature. There were no pictures or specific information. All I got was "connect T your antenna to the connector on the front and throw the switch to RF Enable" Huh! I hope he doesn't give up his day job and go into teaching or writing documentation for a living.