Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | N8XJK 12Volt Boost Regulator Help

Reviews Summary for N8XJK 12Volt Boost Regulator
N8XJK 12Volt Boost Regulator Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $155
Description: This Boost Regulator was designed to supply a constant voltage to the radio or other equipment regardless of the battery voltage. The Boost Regulator is a switching power supply that regulates the output and boosts the voltage to your equipment. The increased voltage prevents distortion commonly seen on modern mobile radios. It also maintains transmit power and allows longer operation from a battery.
More info: http://stores.tgelectronics.org/Detail.bok?no=7

You can write your own review of the N8XJK 12Volt Boost Regulator.

KK5JY Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2012 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of these is permanently mounted in my truck, attached to my HF 100W radio. When the engine is running, I leave it off, and the voltage drop is fairly small. When the vehicle is parked and I'm spending a lot of QSO time, such as during a contest, I'll turn it on and it does exactly what it is supposed to do.

I have also used one of these in extended operation for Field Day for my 1E class station. Even running a 100W radio on CW/RTTY, plus several other small 12V gadgets, it only becomes warm to the touch. My version does not have a fan, nor does it seem to need it.

I have never been able to trace any noise in the ham bands back to the device. I wish my other gear was that quiet. I have never used the RF sense feature on the booster, because I have never needed it.

For emergency/backup operation from a large battery, this is THE device to have.

Make sure the battery you use can handle deep cycling. I use the booster only on Optima batteries, but there are other manufacturers of appropriate batteries.

WA1GZY Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2011 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Simply the Best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Utilizing a custom 80 amp (120 amp peak) Super Battery Booster/Regulator to maintain a stiff 14.2 volt DC supply for Icom 7000 / SGC 500 linear amp mobile installation. Key down at 600+ watts the output voltage holds firm at 14.1 volts!
The Super Booster was ordered with an optional Anderson Power Pole output connector and also a "prototype" twin digital meters which display both the input battery voltage and Super booster regulator output voltage with large, easy to read blue LED's. This installation is very likely the first mobile HF equipped 2012 Chevrolet Volt. The extra isolation of the N8XJK regulator may also be a factor in mediation of the Volt's computer "hash" RFI noise level which now is operational on all bands from 160 through 70 cm.
Tim Gerdeen has a winner here!!

W8NLZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2011 14:30 Send this review to a friend
This Booster is free of RFI  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading reviews on12VDC Battery Boosters of various manufacturers, I purchased the TG Electronics "New" Battery Booster equipped with 4 ft leads. Also purchased a set of two "Hi Frequency Toroids) from TGE. Wound 8-9 turns per toroid for both the Input and Output leads putting the toroid as close to the booster box as possible. (See W0QE website for details). Result is no discernible RFI or "birdies" anywhere from 80M to 10M. Big sigh of relief! (Mod took 20 minutes.)

Operating experience to-date has been excellent. Powering a Kenwood TS-850S from a 50AH gel cell. I operate SSB at 100W PEP and the N8XJK just holds the voltage steady within 0.1 VDC of setting. With no load, the N8XJK only consumes about 2 watts in boost mode, so I leave it in that mode all the time.

Unit appears very well built. Tim at TGE is very responsive to questions. Looking forward to many years of service in the field with the New N8XJK.

K0ZR Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2009 23:57 Send this review to a friend
A Must for Field Day  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This product delivers exactly what is advertised. I am so happy with this device that although I have had it a short time, I am posting my positive experience. This is a MUST for Field Day operations -- my intended use.

W0QE Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2008 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Very useful addition for mobile use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have made numerous measurements on the noise from the N8XJK battery booster which can be see at http://www.bnk.com/W0QE/N8XJK_battery_booster.html for those interested. I did hear a small amount of noise which was curable. The need for the booster was due to the replacement of my IC-706mkIIg with an IC-7000 which needs a "little" more voltage to produce a 100W especially for SWRs that are not 1.0:1. See http://www.bnk.com/W0QE/IC7000_vs_IC706_mobile_pwr.html for a comparison. I am in no way affiliated with either Dan or Tim at TGE ELectronics nor am I selling anything. I have made several hundred mobile contacts with the unit installed and have over 40K mobile contacts in the past 5 years.

73, Larry, W0QE

WA1TNR Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2008 22:48 Send this review to a friend
A permanent addition to the shack  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned the N8XJK 12V boost-regulator since
requesting one from Tim in early to mid 2007, when
there were fewer reviews available. Tim sends
out regular product updates via e-mail; I decided
to check with eHam to see how the unit has been
received by the ham community in recent months.

The N8XJK boost-regulator I have is an early 2007,
fanless design, and has paper labels by the switches
(2 ea.); ports (3 ea.) and indicators (2 ea.). Newer
units appear to have a silk-screened chassis. There
are more variants offered today; one is sealed for
use in a marine environment; another has a cooling
fan (and is rated for higher current than mine, I'd
guess).

After several rewrites, I've come to the conclusion
I don't know how to write a review I'd admire if
someone else wrote it. I gave the N8XJK a 4 but with
a smirk; it probably gets a 5, but I want them fancy
silk-screenings with no cost, effort or anything
else. Major Nelson had a genie; I don't and would
have to lift a finger myself ..and I'm back quiet.

KB9VCS Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2008 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy Design, performs as advertised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tim at TGE was great with my email questions. I received the unit promptly and wired it up to my 2 meter base/mobile rig right away. Nice that I can finally run my rig on full power (if necessary) with much more mileage off of my two deep cycle batteries in the shack before my radio starts to starve from low voltage. My opinion is that it comes with clean workmanship and top shelf performance. I ran it for over two hours the first morning with the radio at all power settings (5,10,25,60 watts) and the batteries ranging from full charge to about half discharged and it gave me the solid service that I was looking for. Features I am using include: low battery alert, adjustable output voltage and bypass/enable switch.
Also, the Anderson power pole connectors sure are convenient and make for a nice solid connection with easy detachment.
My radio is now a happy camper and ready for emergency use!

W1IVB Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2007 12:53 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PRODUCT AND EXCELLENT SUPPORT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The device does everything it is advertised to do. It is built like a tank with perfect soldering and what appears to be quality parts. The support is superb. I had reason to call Tim and he is more than cordial and supportive even when the problem was most probably due to my action. TG Electronics is an example of how a small vendor can compete with the large corporations successfully. Tim: Thank you for marketing this item which has solved a low battery problem here at my station.

VK2FPR Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2007 04:05 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic product and supplier..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my Super Booster only 5 days from the placement of my order... in Australia. Tim was very accommodating and responded very quickly to my e-mails answering all my queries in a very professional manner, overnight, because of the time difference between Aus and the US.

One of the questions was in regard to the fan noise of the 40A unit. I was pleasantly surprised that the fan wasn't as noisy as I expected and hardly even noticeable in RF switching mode when transmitting.

The case is very sturdy and the adjustment screws are easily accessible even if they are a bit stiff when new. (probably a good thing eh!)

Previously I used a 600W DC-AC inverter and a 20A switch mode power supply to do the same job but this is just so much neater, compact and robust in my 4x4.

I couldn't detect any interference or line noise attributable to the booster and it has in fact reduced some of my "engine" noise synonymous with an old Diesel.

I am very much looking forward to years of mobile and portable operation with this booster in series, allowing my voltage hungry FT-857D to pump out 100W EVERYWHERE I go.

Great product from a very professional supplier.. congratulations Tim and the team at TG Electronics.

KI4OFU Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2007 22:03 Send this review to a friend
must have for portable ops  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Even though it was a little hot at a smidgen over 14 volts when delivered, I still give this a rating of 5. What a fantastic piece of equipment! I have the original model, not the new or super models, and I just love it. It takes marginal voltage from a used-all-day battery and bumps it to a solid 13.8 volts, which means I can keep on rockin' the bands. One of my most worthwhile purchases.