Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Vectronics VEC-841 Tunable CW/SSB Audio Filter Help

Reviews Summary for Vectronics VEC-841 Tunable CW/SSB Audio Filter
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $69.96
Description: SSB/CW tunable 70 dB notch filter. Has 8 poles active IC filtering, uses cascaded low-Q stages, 3 bandwidths: 80/110/180 Hz. Center frequency: 750 Hz. Up to 15 dB. 5 x 2 x 5".

More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/vectronics/products.php?prodid=VEC-841W

You can write your own review of the Vectronics VEC-841 Tunable CW/SSB Audio Filter.

WA7OCZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2012 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Nice little filter.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very simple and easy to use.

If you're using a speaker, the output is kinda low, but it works well with headphones.

Don't know why they didn't make it so it automatically bypasses when it's off. A very simple mod involving a couple cut traces and adding a couple wires did the trick.

I use it between the output of my TS440S and the input of a Radio Shack DSP40 which adds all the audio you need to drive a speaker.

VE7DTR Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2009 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Great addition!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This filter has made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the hobby. My rig does not have many filter options built in, this unit really quiets things down. The notch also works well and can really take out an interfering signal. I did have one problem with the kit as they shipped my kit with some wrong parts. Vectronics shipped the correct parts but it did take about a month. The quality of the kit is quite good and alignment was easy. I made my own face for the case as I didn't like the sticker supplied. I would definitley recommend this unit!

VE7AJJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2007 21:38 Send this review to a friend
Quite satisfied -- finally  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Like KB5DRJ, I have only had mine for a few months. It went together with no problems and worked quite well. I had two issues with it though and that was the way that the filter attenuated the signal when switched in. I found I always had to turn the volume way up when using the filter and if I forgot about that I was met with a jarring blast of sound when I switched it out.

The other thing was that the filter always had to be on when in line. It seems to me they could have made provisions (rather easy when you look at the on off switch they provide) to bypass the filter when the power was turned off. Not so. Every time you wish to bypass it you have to take it out of circuit.

Finally I decided to mount the filter permanently into my speaker enclosure with a proper bypass. I also decide that I needed to build an audio amp to bring the audio up to the normal output of my rig so I was not forever adjusting the audio level. A quick review of audio amps on the internet led me to several circuits that use a LM380 ic. Well that is exactly what Vectronics uses. I took a close look at the schematic and bypassed one resistor and now I have full audio when I switch from bypass to inline. Now I am satisfied that the filter is worth buying and building.

It functions very well as a notch filter and does just as well in bandpass mode. It makes my old rig much more cw friendly.

Garry/Ve7ajj

KB5DRJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2007 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Nice product. Works well.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this unit for about 6 months now. Bought it new. I don't have much to compare it to since this is my first audio filter unit I have owned. My only HF rig is a Kenwood TS-520 so I don't have lots of built in filtering stuff like on newer rigs. I can tell you that this filter helps a lot when the band is crowded to single out 1 station. When QSB is really bad the Notch function will make the signal much more readable and has allowed me to copy a station that I couldn't even hear without it. I am pleased with the product. Like all the Vectronics stuff I've seen, it comes in a solid metal case and is well built.