Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-868 SWR/ WATTMETER Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-868 SWR/ WATTMETER
MFJ-868 SWR/ WATTMETER Reviews: 26 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: VERY LARGE SINGLE NEEDLE METER- VERY EASY TO READ AND VERY GOOD BACK LITE
More info: http://MFJENTERPRISES

You can write your own review of the MFJ-868 SWR/ WATTMETER.

K4SDW Rating: 3/5 Jun 3, 2014 18:02 Send this review to a friend
OK Meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this meter about a year now. It works good. I have had problems with the lights inside the meter. This is the 2nd time they have gone out. Not sure why. I replaced them the first time after about 2 months. 2 months later and they are out again so I will just use the meter without the lights. I did like to see that large meter lite up. I would probably spend a little more money if I had it to do over and get something more dependable. I guess you get what you pay for.

WD8FM Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2014 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Still Working Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just an update to my first review. My meter is still working great after more than 3 years of heavy usage. Still within +/- 2 watts and SWR readings almost no deviation when compared with 2 other watt/swr meters.

W8EDV Rating: 2/5 Mar 12, 2014 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Lights out in 6 weeks..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like the size of the meter and it seems fairly accurate, however I can't recommend it because my light bulbs are out after only 6 weeks of light use. I only use the meter for a few hours at night and the bulbs went out in just 6 weeks. It's a big disappointment when you spend so much money on a meter that is just junk. I imagine shipping it back and having fixed will probably leave me without a meter for a month or so from some reviews I have read about MFJ repair services.. I like the look of the meter, and it does work, no problem there, they just need light bulbs that will run longer than 6 weeks...

WD8FM Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2013 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine NEW about 1-1/2 years ago and it has worked great for me the whole time. It Checked within +/- 2 watts with three different RF power meters and within .2 on the SWR meters. Close enough for me.

NV6W Rating: 2/5 Sep 30, 2012 11:24 Send this review to a friend
needs design review   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this large analog meter several months back for purposes of HF linear amplifier tuning. Initial tests were satisfactory. However, I discovered that the device itself is not properly isolated. Station components placed near and/or on top of the meter result in incorrect readings. Also, both meter bulbs burned out after relatively light use. I found replacement bulbs, however, they're not easy to replace. The sockets are held in place by miniature plastic tie-downs, and the meter face needs to be taken apart to reach them.

I'm going to agree with John / ZS5J's previous review, which is quoted here, in part:

"...I re-calibrated the MFJ meter to read correctly on all 3 levels, and while I had the meter open, had a look at the quality of construction. Well, typical to MFJ, it is really cheaply and poorly constructed inside. MFJ is still way behind other manufacturers in terms of quality. And it can be seen that there is no testing of equipment prior to leaving the MFJ workshop, as can be seen by other posters reviews here..."

I'm planning to upgrade to a digital meter with proper isolation at some point.

WB6ZRP Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2011 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Great meter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the meter used, it's over a year old and still working fine. After a little calibration which is very easy, I found it to be very accurate. The two microsecond op-amp it uses makes it a very accurate PEP reading meter. It' very nice to have such a large meter, makes it just a glance to see my output with my amplifier. When I installed the 9 volt battery I took notice that the construction was good. Overall I always have had good luck with all MFJ equipment so far. I've had several tuners, meters etc.

W7MJM Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Big meter makes tuning amp much easier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This extra-large meter makes tuning my tube amplifier much easier. I can see changes in peak output in response to amp adjustments that I couldn't distinguish on my old Heathkit HM-2140. Accuracy seems to be within 10 percent of full scale for readings in the upper half of the scale. The meter seems easy to calibrate (one trimpot per power range); as soon as I can borrow a calibrated lab-quality instrument, I plan to tweak the MFJ to get it within 5% of the lab instrument. Very pleased with my purchase and would recommend this device to others looking for an easy-to-read, peak-reading analog swr/power meter.

NA5AR Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2010 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not sure why some folks are bad mouthing this meter. I have three of them and they all work great. Very easy on the eyes and easy to use. I've had a lot of meters over the past 40 some odd yrs of hamming and this one is as good as any. As with any equipment there are some that just don't work like they should but these works great for me.

KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2010 21:47 Send this review to a friend
It's a unique meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK so; I'll annoy the "MFJ is crap " crowd by saying that I like my GIANT meter very much and think that it works well. Mine's off by about 10 - 15% when initially used but is damn near close to within 5-8% now that I've calibrated it. I did not buy it hoping to get a scientific instrument. I wanted the biggest meter possible and it IS the biggest meter available. I looked inside it also ( I was putting in a 9volt battery). and "NO" it is not cheaply made and is constructed well. You must calibrate it ( Duhhh!), but that to me is a small price to pay for the " Mother of all meters".

I wanted a REALLY big meter and MFJ is the only one that could supply me with one. You could do a lot worse for $140,00 bucks. Could you do better?
Not much... and forget about large size.

I'm glad to have an American made device, that appears ( for now, maybe it will blow up later!)
to be well made and meets it's criterion.

Guess I'm part of the small MFJ fans out here.

KD8EZU

KB3BTO Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
"Good" meter.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using mine for just under 2 years now with no problem. It is relatively accurate and very easy for aging eyes to read at a glance.
I do an annual calibration comparison using my Bird 43 meter and have had to make only minor adjustments to the 868 and that's easily accomplished using the adjustment screw on the meter's face.
I'm in the minority but, for the money, I find this meter hard to beat and a welcome addition to my shack.

Charlie