Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-868 SWR/ WATTMETER Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-868 SWR/ WATTMETER
MFJ-868 SWR/ WATTMETER Reviews: 31 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $139.95
More info: http://MFJENTERPRISES

You can write your own review of the MFJ-868 SWR/ WATTMETER.

WB6ZRP Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2011 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Great meter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the meter used, it's over a year old and still working fine. After a little calibration which is very easy, I found it to be very accurate. The two microsecond op-amp it uses makes it a very accurate PEP reading meter. It' very nice to have such a large meter, makes it just a glance to see my output with my amplifier. When I installed the 9 volt battery I took notice that the construction was good. Overall I always have had good luck with all MFJ equipment so far. I've had several tuners, meters etc.
W7MJM Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Big meter makes tuning amp much easier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This extra-large meter makes tuning my tube amplifier much easier. I can see changes in peak output in response to amp adjustments that I couldn't distinguish on my old Heathkit HM-2140. Accuracy seems to be within 10 percent of full scale for readings in the upper half of the scale. The meter seems easy to calibrate (one trimpot per power range); as soon as I can borrow a calibrated lab-quality instrument, I plan to tweak the MFJ to get it within 5% of the lab instrument. Very pleased with my purchase and would recommend this device to others looking for an easy-to-read, peak-reading analog swr/power meter.
NA5AR Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2010 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not sure why some folks are bad mouthing this meter. I have three of them and they all work great. Very easy on the eyes and easy to use. I've had a lot of meters over the past 40 some odd yrs of hamming and this one is as good as any. As with any equipment there are some that just don't work like they should but these works great for me.
KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2010 21:47 Send this review to a friend
It's a unique meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK so; I'll annoy the "MFJ is crap " crowd by saying that I like my GIANT meter very much and think that it works well. Mine's off by about 10 - 15% when initially used but is damn near close to within 5-8% now that I've calibrated it. I did not buy it hoping to get a scientific instrument. I wanted the biggest meter possible and it IS the biggest meter available. I looked inside it also ( I was putting in a 9volt battery). and "NO" it is not cheaply made and is constructed well. You must calibrate it ( Duhhh!), but that to me is a small price to pay for the " Mother of all meters".

I wanted a REALLY big meter and MFJ is the only one that could supply me with one. You could do a lot worse for $140,00 bucks. Could you do better?
Not much... and forget about large size.

I'm glad to have an American made device, that appears ( for now, maybe it will blow up later!)
to be well made and meets it's criterion.

Guess I'm part of the small MFJ fans out here.

KB3BTO Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
"Good" meter.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using mine for just under 2 years now with no problem. It is relatively accurate and very easy for aging eyes to read at a glance.
I do an annual calibration comparison using my Bird 43 meter and have had to make only minor adjustments to the 868 and that's easily accomplished using the adjustment screw on the meter's face.
I'm in the minority but, for the money, I find this meter hard to beat and a welcome addition to my shack.

ZS5J Rating: 2/5 Sep 4, 2010 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Typical MFJ quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this "giant" MFJ meter new at the last Dayton Hamvention (May 2010). I bought it because I wanted a huge meter, so I could easily glance up and see what my output power was, especially for when I was using my amplifier.

I checked the power of my FT-1000MKV - the rigs meter showed 100 watts, but the MFJ told me 75 watts. I then switched to a precise calibrated power meter, and saw that my power was indeed 100 watts. I then switched on my amplifier, and, into a dummy load, the MFJ showed me 500 watts, when in fact it was putting out 750 watts !!! The low power setting was also under reading.

I re-calibrated the MFJ meter to read correctly on all 3 levels, and while I had the meter open, had a look at the quality of construction. Well, typical to MFJ, it is really cheaply and poorly constructed inside. MFJ is still way behind other manufacturers in terms of quality. And it can be seen that there is no testing of equipment prior to leaving the MFJ workshop, as can be seen by other posters reviews here.

John, ZS5J
FORMER_KC6O Rating: 0/5 Apr 17, 2010 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Another piece of shMFJit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
"If you can't say anything good, don't say anything", that's what me Grandma' used to say.

- You don't know how tempted I was to leave it at that first sentence.

OK, this worked for a good solid 2 months so I guess I should have given it a star but eham doesn't offer that option.

If ever you come over and find a piece of shMFJit in my shack, please understand, it's only there awaiting my next trip to the range to sight in my new Weatherby .300 magnum.

Last chance and they used it up in 2 months.

Adios MFJ, you'll never be in my shack again.

WB4ROA Rating: 1/5 Jun 20, 2009 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Good Idea - Poor Design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I initially bought two of these units about 1 year ago. One has functioned well other than the lights going out after a few months.

The second unit is another story. It initially blew the meter out on 160M. Back to MFJ and they fixed it. Other problems arose three more times requiring the unit to be returned. Each time it was repaired and shipped back. Now I could have bought a new meter with the money spent on shipping. After the last time I threw the piece of junk in the trash. I will never buy another item from MFJ. The unit was problematic and should have been replaced. A case of a great idea and poor implementation... Bought a Daiwa CN-801 - great unit.
W4KVW Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2009 07:47 Send this review to a friend
GOOD METER  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my MFJ-868(GIANT WATTMETER)for just over 2 years now & have had ZERO issues.It does just what it is suppose to do at a good price. The only thing I will do is add LED lights when the original lights burn out just for the long life of the LED's.

KI4CRA Rating: 4/5 Mar 2, 2009 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Decent SWR/Wattmeter  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In all fairness I have to give the MFJ-868 SWR/Wattmter a 4.75. I bought this meter second hand, and while its no Bird its not a piece of crap either. I found the meter I had to be very accurate, again its not a Bird, but still reliably accurate. I had no problems with this meter whatsoever, large easy to read with its 6" display, I used it daily when I had my FT-920, didn't need it with my 756ProIII and my Palstar AT2K tuner. Sold the 920, figured I wouldn't be needing the meter so I sold it at the Orlando ham fest for what I paid for it a year ago.

Now then having picked up another radio to replace the 920, I find myself in need of an SWR/Wattmeter, now I kick myself for selling the 868, OH well easy come easy go, I'll find another swr/wattmeter somewhere down the line. If you want an easy to read reasonably accurate SWR/Wattmeter,get yourself an MFJ-868, you wont finder a better one at this price.

73 de Mark