Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-868 SWR/ WATTMETER Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-868 SWR/ WATTMETER
MFJ-868 SWR/ WATTMETER Reviews: 27 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: VERY LARGE SINGLE NEEDLE METER- VERY EASY TO READ AND VERY GOOD BACK LITE
More info: http://MFJENTERPRISES

You can write your own review of the MFJ-868 SWR/ WATTMETER.

KB3BTO Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
"Good" meter.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using mine for just under 2 years now with no problem. It is relatively accurate and very easy for aging eyes to read at a glance.
I do an annual calibration comparison using my Bird 43 meter and have had to make only minor adjustments to the 868 and that's easily accomplished using the adjustment screw on the meter's face.
I'm in the minority but, for the money, I find this meter hard to beat and a welcome addition to my shack.

Charlie
KB3BTO

ZS5J Rating: 2/5 Sep 4, 2010 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Typical MFJ quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this "giant" MFJ meter new at the last Dayton Hamvention (May 2010). I bought it because I wanted a huge meter, so I could easily glance up and see what my output power was, especially for when I was using my amplifier.

I checked the power of my FT-1000MKV - the rigs meter showed 100 watts, but the MFJ told me 75 watts. I then switched to a precise calibrated power meter, and saw that my power was indeed 100 watts. I then switched on my amplifier, and, into a dummy load, the MFJ showed me 500 watts, when in fact it was putting out 750 watts !!! The low power setting was also under reading.

I re-calibrated the MFJ meter to read correctly on all 3 levels, and while I had the meter open, had a look at the quality of construction. Well, typical to MFJ, it is really cheaply and poorly constructed inside. MFJ is still way behind other manufacturers in terms of quality. And it can be seen that there is no testing of equipment prior to leaving the MFJ workshop, as can be seen by other posters reviews here.

John, ZS5J

KC6O Rating: 0/5 Apr 17, 2010 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Another piece of shMFJit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
"If you can't say anything good, don't say anything", that's what me Grandma' used to say.

- You don't know how tempted I was to leave it at that first sentence.

OK, this worked for a good solid 2 months so I guess I should have given it a star but eham doesn't offer that option.

If ever you come over and find a piece of shMFJit in my shack, please understand, it's only there awaiting my next trip to the range to sight in my new Weatherby .300 magnum.

Last chance and they used it up in 2 months.

Adios MFJ, you'll never be in my shack again.

PERIOD.

END OF STORY.

WB4ROA Rating: 1/5 Jun 20, 2009 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Good Idea - Poor Design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I initially bought two of these units about 1 year ago. One has functioned well other than the lights going out after a few months.

The second unit is another story. It initially blew the meter out on 160M. Back to MFJ and they fixed it. Other problems arose three more times requiring the unit to be returned. Each time it was repaired and shipped back. Now I could have bought a new meter with the money spent on shipping. After the last time I threw the piece of junk in the trash. I will never buy another item from MFJ. The unit was problematic and should have been replaced. A case of a great idea and poor implementation... Bought a Daiwa CN-801 - great unit.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2009 07:47 Send this review to a friend
GOOD METER  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my MFJ-868(GIANT WATTMETER)for just over 2 years now & have had ZERO issues.It does just what it is suppose to do at a good price. The only thing I will do is add LED lights when the original lights burn out just for the long life of the LED's.

Clayton
W4KVW

KI4CRA Rating: 4/5 Mar 2, 2009 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Decent SWR/Wattmeter  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In all fairness I have to give the MFJ-868 SWR/Wattmter a 4.75. I bought this meter second hand, and while its no Bird its not a piece of crap either. I found the meter I had to be very accurate, again its not a Bird, but still reliably accurate. I had no problems with this meter whatsoever, large easy to read with its 6" display, I used it daily when I had my FT-920, didn't need it with my 756ProIII and my Palstar AT2K tuner. Sold the 920, figured I wouldn't be needing the meter so I sold it at the Orlando ham fest for what I paid for it a year ago.

Now then having picked up another radio to replace the 920, I find myself in need of an SWR/Wattmeter, now I kick myself for selling the 868, OH well easy come easy go, I'll find another swr/wattmeter somewhere down the line. If you want an easy to read reasonably accurate SWR/Wattmeter,get yourself an MFJ-868, you wont finder a better one at this price.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

K6VU Rating: 2/5 Feb 28, 2009 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Bad Out of the Box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I loved the size, ranges, and it lit up well, biggest wattmeter I've ever seen! It just didn't work at all! Maybe just a bad one....

Sent it back to the dealer for a replacement. Hopefully the next one will work. If so, I'll write another review. If not, I'll buy something else.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2009 15:36 Send this review to a friend
WORKS GREAT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the meter a year next month & have no problems with it's operation.Checked against a friends BIRD & it's on the money.Got a GREAT price on it at ORLANDO HAMCATION 08 & do NOT regret it.I liked it so much I had my wife buy me the MFJ-874 GRANDMASTER for Christmas for my 6 & 2 meter stations & love it as well.

Clayton
W4KVW

N2QQF Rating: 3/5 Oct 22, 2008 17:02 Send this review to a friend
worked OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
The meter had a nice large display which obviously is what lured everyone to the meter to begin with. The meter was OK at best not great but not a piece of garbage like some of the other messes produced by MFJ. Overall it was fairly accurate of course you cant compare it to an Array Solution Power master which cost about 4 times more but it is just as accurate as all the other low end meters.

I have worked with Bird meters as well as some other high end Commercial grad VSWR analyzers / Power meters as I am in the business and you cant compare those at all too this meter in fact, they should not even be mentioned in this review but the point I am trying to make is you get what you pay for. If you want to spend $150.00 and get a commercial grade meter it isn't going to happen but if you spend $150.00 and understand it will not be as accurate, durable or of great quality and it suites your needs then hey it might work well for you.

I will admit I am not a big fan of MFJ equipment as it is really entry level low end equipment but for the money what can you expect. It worked fine and I didn't have the same issues others have had with their meters but I would not put much faith in it. For me I needed something i could see farther away but it isn't my main power / SWR meter.

ND4Z Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2008 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Meter!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased my giant wattmeter model 868.
With my Heathkit 50 ohm cantenna in the SWR position it reads zero SWR as it should. When in the power output mode in series with my Bird model 43 it seems to read very close in readings in all 3 power ranges. It is very easy to read at a glance due to it's large meter. My only problem was that when I first turned it on the meter lights were shinning on the meter. Upon removing the top panel I found that the 2 grain of wheat bulbs were dangling in the bottom of the unit. With a little glue I re-glued both lamps where they belong in the top of the meter face. While I was in the unit I also caliabrated the meter readings to read with the model 43 bird meter. The instructions for doing this were easy to follow as per the MFJ 868 operations manual. This was not necessary as the meter was reading very close to the readings with the in line Bird reference meter.As far as the minor problems with the lamps coming off,I would think the meter was jarred in shipping and not the fault of the manufacture, MFJ. So rather than going through all the trouble of bashing MFJ and sending the unit back for warantee like some people do , I used my time instead to trouble shoot and repair the unit.
As a result I am very happy with the giant meter and it compliments my Ameritrom AL-1500 linear amp very nicely. It allows me to keep a very close eye on on my linears output in the Peak meter mode so I stay within the 1500 watt legal limit.
Rick Hatalski ND4Z Licensed and operating since 1963.