Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TR-7400A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TR-7400A
Kenwood TR-7400A Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $399.00
Description: Early Synthesized 2 Meter Mobile Rig
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TR-7400A.

KE7ALG Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2005 10:21 Send this review to a friend
A tone unit can easly be added!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first 2meter radio and it was very to use I am curently selling it on ebay as I replaced it with a TM-261A. The TR-7400A is a very easy starter 2 meter rig! And tough!
I have added a SS-64 Encoder to this unit and it works very well. But I moved the SS-64 to a TR-7850. To check out this unit go to
Al

KD5LIZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2004 01:34 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
this is a wonderful radio it was my second radio i got it a few years ago and paid 40 bucks for it it all worked after rewireing a cobra mic and makeing a new set of power wires but i'm trying to figure out how to put in ctcss in to this good old radio but cant find any information on how to do it and would like some help if anyone has anyinformation would like to hear from you post on here

WD4SIK Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2004 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Sherman tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent quality. With only 25W can punch and talk to repeaters 50+ miles away with a Cushcraft Ringer Ranger AXR-2 at 20 feet.

Had it since 1978 and still working flawlessly. Does not get much better!

AD7DB Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2004 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Good solid radio for what it does  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this one used back in the mid 80s. This radio is indeed built like a tank. For a radio from the 1970s it sure had the features for its day. But, a lack of built in PL encode limits its use on many repeaters these days. I got mine for base station packet radio use, and the 25W transmitter really packed a punch. The TR relay goes CLINK-Clunk and would regularly wake me up at night if someone connected to my station or started digipeating! Overall it's a good radio for base use in that way, probably eats too much power to use it mobile for APRS except when the vehicle's running.

K5III Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2003 21:21 Send this review to a friend
Classic Tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine on eBay 2 years ago for $59. Has been used on several occasions. This is a somewhat heavy radio and built like a tank. It has relay switching. I have had good signal reports. It has not had any problems whatsoever. This is another one that Kenwood did right. Even though there is no PL, it is a tough well built radio with a military styling. I recommend this one.

KC0LOD Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2003 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought it at the Norfolk Hamfest 03. I use it in the house and It is easy to use and is nice and easy to see display. It is actually older than I am. Kenwood got it right, like they usually do.

KA7ZPW Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2003 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Like a Rock!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My father bought one new in 1978, and other than having it realigned a couple of times, and replacing the microphone, this rig has never had ANY trouble whatsoever. It outlasted at least five cars that my dad used it mobile in. I use the rig now, in the shack, and though it won't do pl, it works for everything else. I miss the old familiar thunk of this rig's tr relay, when using newer rigs.

K8YS Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2002 01:26 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a brick  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the one I still use in 1978. It is currently being used on APRS, before that, it was my packet station, before that it was my only 2 meter FM radio. The helical front end was important as a mobile radio, something sadly lacking in the new radios! I did all the mods at one time or the other, the add on scanner, the "normal/reverse" mod, adding a transistor so that the RF/S meter lamp only worked while transmitting or when there was a signal, lifting pin 3 or 4 on the mic connector and making it 12v (via a 470 Ohm resistor) to power a Drake tone mic. I miss the original "peanut mic"! As for CTCSS, ComSpec makes add on boards that cost less then the original tone reeds cost.
The ONLY problem I ever encountered with the TR-7400A was a diode in the SWR protection circuit that used to open. I replaced the original 1S???? with a 1N4007 -- no more problem.

N6VI Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2002 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Two features make this radio unique  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my TR-7400A for over 30 years and I echo the prior reviews. I would like to add two things:

First, this is the only radio I know of that you can set completely by touch, courtesy of the 100-KHz ands 10-KHz knobs that don't rotate past zero, the four-position MHz switch, the +5 KHz button and the up / simplex / down offset lever. I had this rig mounted behind the passenger seat of my 240-Z and could set it without taking my eyes off the road. Try that with modern rigs (okay, I know voice control is coming some day).

Second, CQ VHF columnist Steve Katz WB2WIK wrote of this radio that it has about the best adjecent-channel rejection of any vhf rig (thanks, no doubt, to those built-in helical filters). My anecdotal evidence confirms his assessment.

Over thirty years of service - and it has never failed! What more can I say?

73 de Marty Woll N6VI

W7RJR Rating: 4/5 Oct 3, 2002 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Simple and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two of these rigs, the first one I bought new in 1977 while stationed in Germany. The second I purchased used on Ebay. This rig is literally built like a tank. It is quite large and heavy by todays standards and although designed for mobile use, it is better suited now for dedication to packet or some other utilitarian purpose. There are few, if any bells or whistles. No memories, no PL tones, no automatic offset, no extended receive..just an honest to goodness, easy to operate, reliable performer on two meters. There is no need for the manual. It should be obvious how to operate this rig even to a total newcomer to ham radio. One nice feature is that if the display goes out, you still know what frequency you are on. Try that with one of the new rigs!

It uses a 4 pin microphone jack, which might be a bit difficult to find should you need to replace it. The transmitted signal, modulation and recieved audio are above reproach. It has a huge speaker on the top on the unit.

If you are looking for ruggedness, reliability, solid performance and ease of operation, this may well be the one for you.

This rig is really a classic.