Reviews Categories | Ham Work Bench Tools & Test Equipment | Peak ESR meter Help

Reviews Summary for Peak ESR meter
Peak ESR meter Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$169 (US)
Description: Equivalent Series Resistance Analyser
Model ESR60 (also called Atlas ESR)
More info: http://www.peakelec.co.uk

You can write your own review of the Peak ESR meter.

RFEXPERT Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2011 02:39 Send this review to a friend
OK, needs improvement  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This unit works OK. The only problem I have with the unit is that the ZEROING of the leads is unstable.

If you zero the leads and then turn it on, you always seem to get incorrect readings that jumps around from 0.01 ohms to 0.02 ohms. You can turn the unit off and on again and the zero is ok at 0 ohms.

There also seems to be some drift in the instrument. I have an original Bob Parkes ESR meter and this very stable on ZERO in comparison. This would be an insignificant issue, however since you measuring very low ohms you need an instrument that stays zeroed and has constant repeatability.

This instrument is better than having no ESR meter and represents good value. I would however recommend the Blues ESR meter from Anatek,which is based on the original Bob Parked ESR meter.

ERIEDXER Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2011 15:02 Send this review to a friend
New ESR+ 70 Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the new Peak Atlas ESR 70 and it is excellent. Nice improvements over the 60 with audibles and you no longer need to push the test button after connecting. No worries about polarity or connecting to a charged cap. Low $130 price, unit is well made.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2007 14:55 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A couple of months ago I saw a "new products' section in CQ Mag. There were pictures and descriptions for all of the Peak instruments. I have been wanting to obtain an ESR meter for some time. I had ordered a kit based on the Dick Smith design, but after a month, I was told they were no longer available. I was hesitant to buy something from the UK (only because of postal and other hassles).
I did a LOT of GOOGLE searching for ESR and found there was a company here in the USA selling them. ANATEK Corp. (an EXCELLENT dealer by the way!). I also ordered the "third hand". Look at the websites, it's easier than trying to explain it!
With the shipping, the total was $180.95.

I admit I was a little surprised by the small size and weight. It appeared to be VERY well made, but the proof is in the performance.

ESR is a different parameter than absolute value. However, the ESR60 is nothing short of amazing! The first job was a digital clock that had strange segments lit. I was gonna just chuck it out, but I opened it up and in a matter of seconds, the meter told me that 2 of the small electrolytic caps were open. Replaced them, FB.

Next project was a small TV. Found 2 caps shorted, VERY quickly, since it checks them in-circuit....
It also displays the cap's value and tells you lots of other info. Again, go to the web site, you can download the SIMPLE manual.

The battery had me concerned, I thought it was only available in England. No problem, I bought a spare yesterday at the local RS. <$5

I have another (analog) ESR meter and it cannot tell the difference between a VERY low ESR or a shorted cap. When you see 0.00 ohms, plus the prompt "In Circuit" even when the cap is out of circuit, on the Peak, you know it's shorted.

I made a small 45 degree stand to prop it up to make the display easy to see.. The 'third hand' (just a momentary switch in parallel with "on / test" button) is great. Yeah, you can cobble up something for cheap, but it wasn't worth the hastle for me.

I was a little concerned about the unit turning itself off so quickly, but since the same button is used for "on / test", it's great, plus it conserves the battery. Very nice!

I have several dozen cap testers, LCR Bridges, etc. I enjoy this little gem VERY much. I'll probably end up wih all their offerings. ha ha

ron