Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | AS-AYL-4 the True K9AY DX antenna with optional Wire/Mast Kit Help

Reviews Summary for AS-AYL-4 the True K9AY DX antenna with optional Wire/Mast Kit
AS-AYL-4   the True K9AY DX antenna with optional Wire/Mast Kit Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $250
Description: K9AY Loop Low bands 4 direction recieve antenna for DXing. Includes relay switching box, adjustable terminations, High performance pre-amp with BCB and SW filters, as well as a mast and wire kit built to military standards, small footprint too. Hear what your missing on the low bands including DXing in the MW and LW bands. Works on 40 and 20m with preamp switch turned off.
More info: http://www.arraysolutions.com

You can write your own review of the AS-AYL-4 the True K9AY DX antenna with optional Wire/Mast Kit.

KN2M Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2012 04:14 Send this review to a friend
Has up to 3 S-unit F/B on 160m  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really needed a receive antenna on my property with the home owners association allowing only one antenna, I did not have much choice. I worked really had to find a stealth spot for it in a slightly wooded portion of my property and put it up just in time to try it during the 160m contest. It was late in the season but it was a nice day that had virtually no wind and by the afternoon all the snow on ground had melted, making the work a bit easier. This has well designed components and a very complete kit with specific instructions but it took all day to install and put in a radial system. The area for the antenna has a layer of crush stone 6" below the surface from previous construction and I knew the ground was probably poor. Pounding the ground rod was difficult and in order to make a good connection, I really wanted to Cadweld the wire but instructions clearly say how to mount the aluminum sleeve on the rod. That installation would not be possible with traditional Cadwelding the wire on top of the rod. I adapted the situation by putting the pot and number 6 wire down the rod about 6", filling up the area around the wire with the charge and starting powder and it ignited first time. I did not use the aluminum plate or the top that comes with the kit for this method. The result was a properly attached ground wire and the weld produced a small shelf to rest the aluminum sleeve also. I did most of the work myself, but a helper is required to raise the last fiberglass mast section in place. I did the first three by myself and having no wind was a big help. I found that my Stanley 30' tape measure was another valuable tool. By centering the tape at 15' I was able to set the ends of the guy rope at the two ends easily. When I finished one set of elements, I moved on to the perpendicular ones. I had the RG6 coax and control wires previously placed for the antenna and put underground, that saved time. The four wires were appropriately attached to the box and I sprayed them with liquid electrical tape. I used terminals found at home store to attach 4 radials at at time to the ring with 1/4" hardware. I have a total of 24 radial wires. It looked great and by the evening, I had the control wire attached for the on air test. I used it only on 160 and found definite F/B with up to 3 S-units difference. Some stations only had one but most had two unit difference. I was very helpful in eliminating interfering stations on adjacent frequencies. I am looking forward to trying it on 80m and 40m per the comments of other reviewers, especially since all my antennas are simple non-directional types. This is a really nice product that probably will not out do radials (who has room for those on a sub-division lot anyway) but the advantage of having directional switching will allow lots more information on band openings too.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2011 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Still Amazes Me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had K9AY Loops up before, and have also tried a pair of top fed EWE's and the K6SE Optimized Flag. All of these work the same - but the small footprint and convenience of the Array Solutions (Wolf Systems) packaging is the best. I have a good ground - and the antenna sits just above a creek - with a ground rod right next to the creek, and for the first time - I really see a major difference in how the Termination resistor works. The strength of the null is best on the "1" setting for 160M. I will add 4 radials - 1 each under each direction and re-test in the fall.

W7TJ Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2009 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using Vertical Antennas on the Low Bands, Noise becomes a Real Problem especially as the area becomes more built and populated. BCI,power, and anything else imaginable masks many weak low band signals. I have a couple of Long fence lines where I was able to run single wire terminated beverages;what I was after in the unit here was the switching ability for different RX antennas, the BCI Filter and the Pre-amp all in one. The results were amazing:

1. Signals that were unreadable or copied with
extreme difficulty became Q-5

2. Tho primarily for 160M, the big surprize
was 80 Meters !

3. Without the preamp, Reception differences on
40 and especially 30 Meters are dramatic.

Bottom Line: If you do not have the space to put
up Low Band Yagis, or Move far out into the Country, clearly this is one of the best low band investments available.

Randy - W7TJ

N7XM Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2009 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertized!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using my TX antenna for years - I finally
did the smart thing ! Install a RX antenna -
Not having a lot of space I went with the AY
RX loop system - its made operation on LOW
BANDS more fun and more productive - less
operator fatigue and more DX available -
This is really a good UNIT - and I
recommend it highly.

W8RA Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2009 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Service From AS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using the AS AYL-4 K9AY Loop System from Array Solutions for about 5 months. I found it to be very good for hearing the weak ones on 160 & 80 M. Over a period of weeks, it developed a major lack of sensitivity in one direction only. All signals dropped to near "zero" to the SW. I contacted Jay at AS - and got permission to send the remote unit off to Jim Wolf - KR9U in Indiana. I sent it by FedEx on Monday afternoon and by Friday the SAME WEEK I got the repaired unit back by FedEX! (at no cost!) That is very quick turn around - as far as I am concerned! Which is super because I found at my QTH - I was surprised to discover how completely dependent I had become on it for receiving! Listening on my 130 ft vertical is like trying to hear a bird chirp in a tornado.. The loops may not be the very best receive antenna but are what makes DXing possible here. It goes to show - often you don't know how bad you are going to miss something - till it's gone. This was a very good service expereince!

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2008 18:10 Send this review to a friend
BIG Fun!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was an SWL and BCB DX-er for a couple years before getting my Novice ticket back in 1973. The K9AY system sold by Array Solutions lets me listen to up to 4 different stations on one frequency - the phasing and isolation seems that good.

Years ago, I had the AY Technologies version of this, and like a dummy sold it when I had to move from my old QTH.

Bot the control box / preamp and remote switch / terminating resistors are packaged and well built. The order and shipping were very prompt and packed well.

KO4NX Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2008 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Top Band RX Antenna for Limited Space!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After coming to the conclusion that a Beverage Array was out of the question due to the size of my lot; I decided to try the K9AY loop. I must admit that I was skeptical, and doubted this array could receive any better than my 160m 60' top loaded vertical, or 80m full wave Delta Loop. After the installation, I started testing the array and found that I could null out two stations, transmitting on the same frequency, in the AM broadcast band. For the test I chose a station in the Caribbean, and another on the NW coast of the Unites States (on the same frequency). When I switched from the SE wire to NW wire, I was able to completely eliminate all traces of the Caribbean station, and had excellent copy of the pacific station.

In the first six months of owning this antenna I managed to work all 50 States and 60 Countries. My Contest Scores on 160 meters have improved dramatically - What else can I say!!!

Rich, AJ3G

K8RA Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2008 08:16 Send this review to a friend
It really works !!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I completed my k9ay loop and I am very impressed. It is about 350 feet from my transmit antenna out in the front yard hidden in a
wooded area at the side of my lot. I went in there with a set of clippers and a chain saw and cleared an area. I made my own loop using a 25 foot fiberglass pole but bought the Array Solutions boxes. I have an 8 foot ground rod and layed eight 20 foot radials equally spaced. I have my control cable and coax laying on the
ground up to the antenna. It runs through the woods so it is not easily buried. By the way, I am using a 70 foot aluminum tower that
is insulated at the base and I use an L-tuning network at the base. I have 3 fixed settings on 160 and two on 80 to get the entire band
under 2:1 across the band. I can select the L-networks from inside. I also have near 10,000 feet of radial wire in the ground. It is a
great transmit antenna but very noisy on receive (as one would expect). You can see it on my web page ( http://www.k8ra.com ).

Now for the results. After listening extensively for two weeks, I am very impressed. The signal strengths are comparable between the k9ay
with the 15 db preamp and the vertical. But the k9ay definitely has a lower noise figure. It averages from 2 to 3 s-units. And the rear null is next to amazing. It varies on the station distance and time of day but I almost always see a null in the rear averaging anywhere from 3 to 6 s-units (seriously...it is amazing). It works great on 80 and 160. I sent a poor quality video to Jay at Array Solutions showing him my results and he put it on the Array Solutions Web Page. Take a look at it. Tonight on 80 I have been comparing the vertical to the loop and 90% to the time the loop is equal or better on receive. It clearly has a better S/N figure than my vertical. Of course this winter will tell the tale better but as of now, it was an effort well worth it.

I am sure it is not as good as a set of beverages but if you have limited space, it sure looks good to me at this point.

de k8ra Jerry www.k8ra.com

N1DZ Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2007 21:45 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The K9AY RX loop antenna works great and I rate it a 5. Very good front to back >30dB. I use a ground system with 12 radials. This made a huge difference in performance.
However this review is about the Array Solutions outdoors and indoors switching unit. The units are well built.For most modern receivers the preamp is not needed. I rate it an overal 4.

Improvements needed to make the array solutions switching box a 5.
-Make the output connector a PL259 instead of the phono plug
-Supply a DC cable
-Add a relay to disconnect the loop from the receiver on transmit
-The manual comes w/o schematics

If you are lazy and do not want to built the K9AY unit yourself this is the way to go.

WD8PKF Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2007 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Ecellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wish to tank Jay for having a great product out for Low Band receiving. I found the system was fairly easy to put up. I am running it with 4 radials. I would suggest having a male help with the installation...as I don't think my wife could have supported the nearly completed mast. Some of the measurements had to to be slightly adjusted, but the final result was beyond belief. We have an AM station with in 15 miles of my qth, and we are able to null it out! I am seeing at least a 30db front to back. The most important fact is that I am hearing many weak stations on 160 that could not hear with my "L" . I think the product is well worth its cost and recommend it to any one who is considering a K9AY type of array.