Reviews Categories | Microphones | Shure 450 Help

Reviews Summary for Shure 450
Shure 450 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: Desk Mic similar to 444

You can write your own review of the Shure 450.

N7SGM Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2013 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 450 Series II microphone. I bought it used via Ebay for $35 with the cable but without a connector installed on it. I asked the ham community for the pin out info to wire this mic to my Kenwood TS-450SAT. It has a round 8 pin connector. I got the info quickly and had no issues in terminating the wiring. Much to my surprise, I received excellent audio reports. The mic is still in production and sells new for $130 Based on my experience with the mic, I highly recommend it.

KE6YX Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2011 18:16 Send this review to a friend
The best!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a Ten Tec Omni VI Option 2, and needed a microphone for it. Having had such great results with a Shure 444D on my Kenwood TS-830S, I went looking for another Shure microphone.

I snagged a 450 series II off ebay for ten bucks and change. It turned out to be new, but not in a box. I have nothing but good things to say about it. This mic has a lot of gain. I have the mic gain pot at 9:00 which is barely on. It has plenty of punch, and I get very good reports on SSB.

If I could give it a ten, I would do it!

KG6AOH Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2010 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Great on SSB and FM, not so great on AM.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an older version of the model 450 mic. Mine says "Made in Evanston, ILL, U.S.A." on the bottom sticker. This was new, unused in the box when I got it new from a retailer, then it sat around for many years before finally wiring it to a Kenwood TS-440S transceiver.

First off, the Shure model 450 has a LOT more gain than the stock mic, and I have to run the mic gain on the radio about half way. On SSB, the 450 sounds simply amazing. All reports are that I sound like a broadcast station with high intelligibility and big, boomy sound.

On AM, reports are that I sound very muffled and difficult to understand. If I want to check in the 3870 AM net, I have to switch to the stock handheld mic so people can understand me.

However, almost nobody runs AM anymore, so don't let that discourage you! The 450 really shines on SSB, and even on FM is pretty good. On SSB, it is MUCH better than the stock Kenwood handheld mic. The big sound and punch are great for ragchews, and the high gain means you can relax a bit and not have to eat the mic to be heard, even if you have a softer voice. The 3 kc. response curve boost isn't as noticeable as you would expect, but does give your speech slightly better intelligibility when the band is noisy (or the contesters are being their typical rude selves and messing things up).

The cord that comes on the 450 is right up there with the cords they used to put on pay phones, very strong! Mine is about 40 years old, and the cord is still in perfect shape, the mic doesn't have a scratch on it, and it sounds amazing.

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2009 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Better buy than 444  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update, I have been watching these on ebay, everyone searches for the 444 mic and the prices reflect that. This mic is essentially equivalent except with the impedance option. I just got a NOS US made one, in the box, for 35$ and no one else even bid on it. I might have easily payed double for a NOS 444 I think, or more. And they look the same, the difference is on the bottom. Then again, if you can get a bargain price on the 444, and only need Hi Z, the resale is obviously higher. But if it is eventually going into your estate sale, what do you care?

IZ8NYE Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2009 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wonderful dynamic element, very good audio.
This microphone does not have preamp, if you want to adapt, here is the complete project:

Eccellente capsula dinamica, ottimo audio.
Questo microfono non dotato di preamplificatore se desideraste modificarlo qui c' un progetto:

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2009 07:19 Send this review to a friend
The 444 for newer rigs  Time owned: more than 12 months
Probably can say everything about this that you can say about a 444. Slightly different curves but the 3 kay-cee response bump is there in this one, too. Actually a huge bump up at that freq. Good for SSB. You can select impedance on the bottom, so unlike the hi Z 444 you can run this into a newer rig designed for low/med impedance dynamic mics and get the 444 sound, more or less. Made in Mexico. But probably all of Shures stuff is now made in Mexico. Will do the job if you find a good deal on one. Shop around and don't buy junk!

KC9MSA Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2009 19:01 Send this review to a friend
Real nice, High or Low Impedence!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this mic for over a year now, and it is great. I love the high/low impedence switch on it for use on older/newer rigs. I use it on my Drake TR4C, or my Drake TR7 with great audio reports. I also used it on my Yaesu FT-101 with great success. You can't go wrong with one of these.

W4VD Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2007 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Hi Z mic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked one of these up at a school auction for a whopping 5 bucks, when I had trouble on SSB with my Heil Goldline's loZ on a Omni D, I dug this one out of the junk box, works great and give realistic audio on the older radios, highly recommended!